Music as a career - be careful what you wish for...

Music (touring with bands) was my full time job (with one year of interruption) from the age of 17 until about the age of 27. And while it is true that it occasionally felt like work and had its frustrations ... I still always loved it. The one and only reason I didn't (read: couldn't) keep doing it was an injury (resulting from being too eager to help lift a power amp rack out of the truck) that became chronic and made the touring lifestyle impossible, and at the time touring seemed to be the only viable option for me to make a living as a musician (since I wasn't located in an area where studio session work might have been an option).

Since then I've primarily (with a few years of interruptions for various musical efforts) worked in a different field, while spending much of what should have been my free time attempting to mold myself into someone who can do something in music that doesn't require being able to handle the road life. That other career is a better paying one, to be sure, but also has become less and less satisfying with every passing year, to the point where I now can barely stand it and the stress thereof is negatively affecting my health. In fact the only thing that keeps me going now is the prospect of a day, not too far in the future, when I will be able to close out this fallback career forever and spend the remainder of my days making music, whether that be for work or just for myself. And while I accept that attempting to once again do music as a full-time job will have its downsides, based upon my experiences I have no doubt in my mind that it is going to be better for me both physically and emotionally ... especially since any non-work time should finally be actual "free" time again, rather than constantly feeling like I am neglecting one career or the other unless I am working every minute of every day.