What's new

MuseScore 4 will add a sequencer and VST support

Just to add to that, I have had private conversations with the author of note performer and he has told me point blank it’s far too complicated to be used generically in a daw. He basically said forget it, not possible.

if he works closely with the musescore team there are always work arounds so maybe they will but there are several other notational programs that don’t support it either, so at some point I’m sure he is doing the math to make an economic decision about whether it will be worth the time and effort.

Last edited:
One thing for certain if they DID make it work with musescore it would fundamentally change the situation putting musescore way on the map. We can always hope. My money is still on dorico though.

What would be sure to change things is if MakeMusic and Avid both added VST3 support into their software. I think enough Finale and Sibelius users would have to request that in order for it to be prioritized.

MuseScore 4 is only in the earliest stages of development as they said - those "screenshots" are really only visual mockups of what they would like the program to look like and the features they would like it to have. I'm not even sure they've said how long it will take to get there, but based on their plans and the amount of work it looks to be, I would assume it would be approximately another three or four years, so hopefully you would see MuseScore 4 stabilizing in 2023 or 2024. By that time, Finale and Sibelius might support VST3.

Ps vst3 has absolutely nothing to do with midi 2.0. In fact the whole point of vst3 is to REMOVE midi from the api. It is abstracted completely away from midi.

This is exactly what I said :grin: MIDI being abstracted in VST3 makes it easier to support MIDI 2.0 features, I'm pretty sure of that.

I'm not even sure they've said how long it will take to get there, but based on their plans and the amount of work it looks to be, I would assume it would be approximately another three or four years, so hopefully you would see MuseScore 4 stabilizing in 2023 or 2024.

Doubtful. They are moving very fast. We could see it in a year or so.

Doubtful. They are moving very fast. We could see it in a year or so.

I've been following the development of MuseScore over the last several years. I think that short timetable is highly unlikely. I'm not saying it isn't possible, and I'm not saying they can't do it, but just very highly unlikely. It would be a huge amount of work even for a team that is being paid for the work, and they aren't always getting paid for the work.

Just to add to that, I have had private conversations with the author of note performer and he has told me point blank it’s far too complicated to be used generically in a daw. He basically said forget it, not possible.

In theory, he could totally make NP work in Reaper. Reaper exposes all notation events as simple MIDI text messages (which means notation is also exported in MIDI files and as such is portable, should any other program support such implementation), and Reaper's scripting and extension API is far-reaching.

It has more to do needing a lot of look ahead because of many time based symbols like crescendos, etc. The way his engine renders the sound it can’t just produce the sound by responding to midi events it has to look ahead, see a lot of stuff over time and generate an evolving sound. I had this same thought as you that we ought to be able to automate any midi tracks with enough midi controllers to accomplish the same thing but he basically pushed back on this entirely, note performer is not a simple sample player responding to events, it has to look way ahead and make more complex decisions about how to generate whatever sound it generates, in ways that are apparently more complex.

I really can't see Arne being interested in putting effort into getting NotePerformer working with Reaper, even though it may be possible.. It is really outside the scope of what NotePerformer is supposed to do, IMO.

That lookahead is totally possible in Reaper, audio and MIDI events can be accessed by extensions from anywhere in the project.

Sure. Technically speaking lookahead is entirely possible in any DAW simply by reporting a large latency. I'm just reporting what Arne told me. As to how or why he would decide to add support to different DAW's or notational programs I think is, in his view, because each one requires custom hooks into the host according to him. I'm quite sure he would open it up for all hosts if he thought it could be done with not too much effort. Otherwise he has to to do the math and decide if it will be worth his time to develop and support each host, apparently requiring some custom hooks or coordinated effort with the host developer in each case in some way.

I'd love to see it supported directly in DAW's and in all notational programs, including staffpad ( he already told me its not going to be in staffpad), reaper, MuseScore, Notion, Overture and pretty much any other notational....and all the DAW's too why not. But he says "not". I do think it would really help out MuseScore in particular, a lot. MuseScore being open source, its hard for them to include any kind of built in sound engine that is any good and still have a free program. If it was at least "able" to accommodate NotePerformer, then people could decide on their own if they want to buy it and it would enhance MuseScore tremendously. But we'll just have to see what happens...its really up to Arne...but also he has to work directly with the MuseScore team in some way to make it happen, so we shall see.

Just by adding VST3 support, at least MuseScore could be used with VePro and many software instruments and for many people would be a fine solution.... but then that will depend on what kind of notation-playback engine they build into it, as to whether it will be any good or not.

Amazing that they took Tantacrul (Martin Keary) to redesign their UI/UX!

That was the best move they ever did. Been a user of Musescore since Ver.2. I also have Notion but I'm not a fan of it. When I upgrade to Studio One ver. 5 later this year I'll see how well Notion integrates but until then it's Musescore all the way.

It will also have support for Note Performer which a lot of people have been requesting.

705b978f53aee451bbeb13dc6c019392.gif

Top Bottom