1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Muserk Claimed the Rights on YouTube to Music I Wrote (Resolved)

Discussion in 'Working in the Industry' started by TigerTheFrog, Apr 15, 2018.

1. OP
    OP
    TigerTheFrog

TigerTheFrog Senior Member

Nov 18, 2016
    Brooklyn, NY
    Thank you @JEPA and @Kony. I now understand what happened to me.

I would guess that it's okay to use loops as long as your work is policed on YouTube by a company like Muserk. That way your music is safe and you might also get to monetize the work of other musicians.

I do think that this info should be more widely disseminated. While individuals may have little power, companies like Loopmasters, Splice, Big Fish, Zero-G, Native Instruments (sounds.com), Noiiz, etc., might not want their customers to know this. They should work with YouTube to protect all their customers from spurious claims.

2. gsilbers

gsilbers Part of Pulsesetter-Sounds.com

freakin bs stuff. how can this be? not only its his stuff but there is no music. andits a video of his iPhone so its not like a famous thing and warner chappel is claiming it. i think they just go by hello on the title.

would the solution be to just create a new account. upload from the old one and with the new account just claim copyright of that video. that way no one else can double claim it?

how stupid and illigal this stuff is.

3. gsilbers

and just to add some more braod info about youtube.

Please be aware that "youtube copyright claim" and real copyright are not the same.

ive seen poeple comment in this and other forums about uplaoding examples of film scoring demos using famous footage, or even educational and fair use. its still not legal. even if youtube strikes it down or not.

I worked helping out the legal/licensing folks at fox and any footage needs to get licensed. even for educational purposes. the rate is about $10,000 a minute for commercial releases and for educational is about $800-2000. and fair use is not as easy as poeple thing it is.
    but studios have lost that uphill battle and im guessing they dont want to redo that napter things of suing folks. but im not aware of their political policies about this stuff in a broader sense or the legalities they have to fight. I know many tv shows and movies have some sort of tech that helps deal with the youtube thing.

the worse part is that its in youtube policies
    "items that may not be exclusive to individuals include:

• mashups, “best of”s, compilations, and remixes of other works
    • video gameplay, software visuals, trailers
    • unlicensed music and video
    • music or video that was licensed, but without exclusivity
    • recordings of performances (including concerts, events, speeches, shows)

so, unlicensed video is what im talking about that one , even youtube cares if its stolen or shared. while great for everyone to be able to see "how to videos" or other famous footage videos, its slowly siking he enterteinament ship.

4. lpuser

lpuser Senior Member

Dec 7, 2012
    Why not just dispute the claim? I have had this as well and it was fairly easy to dispute and get my rights back. While ContentID might have its issues, I think it´s better to have "something" in place to protect music than nothing at all. But these are just my 2 cents ;)

5. gsilbers

i did try and didnt work. as daniel mentioned in his video that if you dispute and loose then you get a strike and might loose the video. and itsnot loosing as a judge or someone says so. youtube just has an algorighm that says "one video is up,another person claims it, other person disputes, if another person counters dipsute he wins and orignal uplloader geta strike". no real human involved. but real money and work is involved.

6. lpuser

lpuser Senior Member

Dec 7, 2012
    Wow, that´s weird, usually this is not a big deal. Hmm, personally I would try it again.

7. Kony

Kony Senior Member

Jul 29, 2016
    If you get three strikes, you lose your channel so that would scare a lot of people off

8. givemenoughrope

givemenoughrope Senior Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    I meant is it possible for the samplers to get a claim in first before the samplees.

Not sure how their system of identification works. It must go by the recording and not melodies or synth presets (unless they are really elaborate synth sounds akin to a loop) like someone above said, right?

9. Daryl

Daryl Senior Member

Mar 25, 2006
    Yes, it's all about the "fingerprint" of the recording. However, it will recognise loops and evolving synth presets as being the same, if they are the same, hence the issue with stock loops.

givemenoughrope likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    TigerTheFrog

Nov 18, 2016
    Brooklyn, NY
    For the record, I received an email today from YouTube saying that Muserk had released their copyright claim on my music.

In addition to filing a claim with Youtube, I also wrote to Muserk directly.

angeruroth likes this.
  11. Desire Inspires

Desire Inspires Senior Member

Jul 30, 2016
    Miami Beach
    Awesome. All is good!

12. OP
    OP
    TigerTheFrog

Nov 18, 2016
    Brooklyn, NY
    Thanks to this forum and Audiobus forum, I better understand what happened to me and know what I will do in the future. I do think that the world at large needs to know more about this.

One funny thing that did happen on the other forum is that one guy was accused by YouTube of infringing himself. :whistling:They said that his music was identical to the same music he wrote, for which a company was policing the web on his behalf.

13. Kony

Kony Senior Member

Jul 29, 2016
    :rofl:

14. mikeybabes

mikeybabes Only the good die young....

Nov 21, 2016
    Yorkshire, U.K.
    Who won the dispute ?

15. OP
    OP
    TigerTheFrog

Nov 18, 2016
    Brooklyn, NY
    Excellent question. :grin: Checking.

16. OP
    OP
    TigerTheFrog

Nov 18, 2016
    Brooklyn, NY
    Here's what he (Red Sky Lullaby) said:

I contacted my publisher who was sub-publishing to some other publisher (I think orchard music) and told them to remove the claim with YouTube for anything on my channel. I think I still sent the YouTube form through saying it was my own music on my own channel. It was pretty straightforward in my case as the copyright challenge was saying you are using a Red Sky Lullaby tune and that’s the YouTube channel name.

mikeybabes likes this.