Multiple Midi Tracks for Kontakt (VEPro/Cubase)

Discussion in 'KONTAKT: Sampling, Programming & Scripting' started by KEM, Jan 11, 2019 at 9:16 PM.

1. KEM

KEM Active Member

Mar 31, 2018
    St. Louis, MO
    So I'm trying to make a master/slave VEPro template within Cubase, and I want to have all articulations separate within a single instance of Kontakt and have a midi track for each articulation (not into the idea of expression maps), I've watched tons of videos on how to route Kontakt through VEPro/Cubase, I've made multiple stereo outputs, I route each instrument I load into a new stereo out/midi channel and mirror it in Cubase, but no matter what I'm only ever able to hear the first instrument I load into Kontakt, all the ones I load after don't make any sound and VEPro says they aren't connected and thus, don't get a signal. This is incredibly frustrating as I've watched many videos and tried to follow every step but every video I've watched seems to get a signal and sound comes out, but I get neither and I have absolutely no idea what to do, I don't even know where the issues lies, Kontakt? VEPro? Cubase?

2. tommalm

tommalm Member

Jul 2, 2008
    Hi!

Have you made sure to setup your midi ports/channel setting for Kontakt in VE Pro correctly?

In VEP set your first Kontakt instance to for example midi port to 1. Then you have set the midi channel to 'All'. Now the Kontakt instance is able to recieve data on all midi channels.

Now you make sure to set each of your patches to Midi Port 1 and channel 1-16, with the appropriate Audio Outputs. In Cubase you asssign each Midi channel to the corresponding VE Pro Midi Port and channel 1-16.

If this doesn't work could you maybe post a sceeenshot of your VEP/Cubase setup?

3. OP
    OP
    KEM

KEM Active Member

Mar 31, 2018
    St. Louis, MO
    It worked! Not having the midi channel set to "all" was the problem. Now what do I do when I want to add a second instance of Kontakt within that same instance of VEPro? How do I get that synced to Cubase?

And I just ran into another problem, Whenever I used VEPro as a track instrument it would save and load just fine, but now that I use it as a rack instrument it won't properly load back in sync with Cubase.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019 at 12:21 AM
  4. tommalm

tommalm Member

Jul 2, 2008
    Good! The next Kontakt instance need to be assign to the next Midi Port, then it will be able to use another 16 midi channels - and so on. You can assign how many Midi Ports each VEP instance should have (be aware that having a very high number of ports will impact performance somewhat).

You have to use VE Pro as a rack instrument if you want more than 1 Midi Port per instance.

You can choose to run each VEP instance in either a "Preserved" state, or "Unpreserved" state. If you have the instance set to "Unpreserved" it will shut down when you close your Cubase project. This is useful if you just need the VEP instance for one specific project, or if you will be changing alot of settings within the VEP instance for each project/cue.

The other option is to keep each VEP instance preserved. Then the VEP instance will stay open when you close your Cubase project. It will automatically reconnect when you reopen your project. This is useful if you are working with a big template that will remain mostly unchanged between several projects/cues.

You also have the option to run VEP instances in coupled/decoupled mode. If they are set to decoupled, your Cubase project won't save the any information about the VEP instances. I keep my instances coupled so that each Cubase project saves both VEP and Cubase data. Then when you reload the Cubase project it will load/connect to the correct VEP instance and remember any settings.