What's new

Multi Divisi Script v6.64

Jay, I don't use logic so can't advise there. Have you tried this in Kontakt stand alone to check it's not a logic midi routing issue? Also 1st Violin doesn't appear to be loaded (memory = 0). I certainly havn't had anyone else report anything similar (with 220+ downloads).

Regards,

J

I rebuilt it from scratch and it's the same.

Well, maybe some Logic user who has successfully worked with it will chime in. I don't much care if it works in standalone if it doesn't in Logic.

Jay, the purpose is to split polyphonic lines on one input channel to divisi monophonic lines on multiple channels. When you move a note (i.e. overlapped legato) it will select one of the previuos notes to move (usually the nearest). If you play separated notes it will just split the chord up across the channels.

Just tried your setup here (stand alone); no issues so it must be a 'Logic' thing!

Last edited:
I suspect that is indeed a Logic thing because it plays fine in standalone and when I load it in Vienna Ensemble Pro and connect from Logic it plays fine.

But as Screen Shot 2019-12-14 at 8.40.48 AM.png you see, it all ends up on MIDI channel 1.

I suspect your monitor is displaying the midi input (in which case it will be on channel one as the script works after the notes are input); to display the script midi output open the Kontakt factory midi monitor (verbose mode) in the script slot after my Divisi script - that will tell you what is happening to the midi data after it is processed by the script.

J

I suspect your monitor is displaying the midi input (in which case it will be on channel one as the script works after the notes are input); to display the script midi output open the Kontakt factory midi monitor (verbose mode) in the script slot after my Divisi script - that will tell you what is happening to the midi data after it is processed by the script.

J

It doesn't really matter though, because the bottom line is that now I would have to manually reassign the MIDI channels, which is too much work. Not criticizing you or your script, which is terrific, but I know that for instance without a script, Logic will only transmit MIDI ccs to channel 1 so if you have multiple MIDI channels you are switching articulations through in a Kontakt multi you need a CC Cloner script.

Last edited:
Logic will only transmit MIDI ccs to channel 1 so if you have multiple MIDI channels you are switching articulations through in a Kontakt multi you need a CC Cloner script.

My script is designed to replicate all input midi CC & note information across to the output channels; there is no way that Logic could block that as it happens internally with the Kontakt engine. What does the Kontakt midi monitor say?

So it's working!

Ok, then clearly I misunderstand what this is supposed to accomplish. What I would expect (and want) is that when I played the unison line, I would see those notes as MC 1 in the Event List. When I play thirds, I would expect the top notes to be MC 1 and the bottom to be MC 2 so that I can then separate them by MIDI channel into new regions and edit them.

Personally I never want the end result to be that e.g. violin and viola share the same region anymore than in real life I want the violinist to sit on the violist's lap :)

I don't really use Logic personally because it can't record the MIDI output of a plugin. You need to use Cubase, Reaper, Live, etc... There is a workaround, but it involves running the Kontakt standalone at the same time as Logic, and routing the MIDI to and from that, which is kind of fussy.

It plays the correctly within Kontakt, so it's only if you want to record the MIDI AFTER Kontakt that you're in trouble with Logic. If you're happy with the audio from Kontakt, then you don't need the MIDI after that.

I don't really use Logic personally because it can't record the MIDI output of a plugin. You need to use Cubase, Reaper, Live, etc... There is a workaround, but it involves running the Kontakt standalone at the same time as Logic, and routing the MIDI to and from that, which is kind of fussy.

It plays the correctly within Kontakt, so it's only if you want to record the MIDI AFTER Kontakt that you're in trouble with Logic. If you're happy with the audio from Kontakt, then you don't need the MIDI after that.

OK, that makes sense so for a Logic user like me, not the way to go.

Its also possible to use a few other tricks to get the output from midi plugins captured to LogicTracks. But they are a bit kludgy..I can elaborate in more detail of several approaches if anyone is interested. I doubt Jay would be interested in messing around with it.

One thing I have come to is that often you don't NEED to capture and record that midi output to a midi track. Just record the source midi to the midi track...let the multi-script do what it does every time you play it back. Then you don't need to concern yourself with seeing the changed midi in the event list or anywhere else. If you need to edit and changed that divisi'd midi for some reason, then ok..there is a case to capture it to a midi track for further editing. But otherwise, why would you need too?

The only way I know to capture the output of any kind of midi plugin (and in this case Kontakt is serving as a midi plugin), is by routing over IAC or using MidiFXfreeze plugin. Both approaches however require the midi processing to be in the midi fx plugin slot, not in the instrument slot, where kontakt is normally sitting.

You can wrap kontakt inside an au-mfx wrapper using bluecatcat audio patchworks, ploguebidule and a few other solutions. That is one way to make kontakt essentially function as a midi plugin. Then you could divisi to other instruments other then Kontakt, and if you want...capture it to a track using the kludgy approaches I eluded to.

Can this multi-script output midi outside of kontakt by the way? If not, its a moot point.

For LogicPro, this kind of feature would probably be better handled with a Scripter javascript plugin then KSP in kontakt.

I see this multi-script as being moved useful to work with if you are using kontakt instruments and want to apply the processing to those actual sound instruments in kontakt. Then none of the above matters...the point is not really to capture the changed midi to a recorded track..it is to interpret and change on the fly the way the midi is processed inside kontakt.

One way this would be useful, of course, is to be able to notate quickly and properly. So, capture the Multi-script MIDI to separate channels and minimal edit is needed in the score editor.

Personally, I don’t use it that way, and neither would I let it stop me from using it that way when needed, but it is a useful feature to have on deadlines when writing for actual musicians. Right now for me, its usefulness exists particularly in writing divisi/unison for 4 SM Horns.

I think that new divisimate is probably doing this right?

Well anyway, if you want to capture the divisi'd midi, without using kontakt standalone as a midi processor, then the only way I know would be to use BlueCatAudio patchworks or plogueBidule, then host Kontakt inside them in a midifx plugin slot (without audio). Then there are several ways to capture the midi to logicTracks, though all a bit kludgy, but it works.

This brings up an interesting feature suggestion for NI. If Reaktor could run KSP multi scripts, then NI already provides a Reaktor midi plugin which could be used for that.

Correct Dewdman, I am generally looking for ways to make workflow simpler for me to use and teach to clients who are either less tech savvy or less patient.

I might use it for notation purposes when all I want to do is get the notes in. It’s simple enough to then make them look as I want in Logic’s Score Editor.

I have no idea, but I would have thought LogicPro's score editor would have some built in features to extract polyphonic parts from chords , does it not?

A scripter script would be good for that if not. But as mentioned before, you'd have to use MidiFXFreeze to bring the results back to tracks in LogicPro, it would not be THAT bad, but it definitely wouldn't be one click either.

I'm kind of surprised someone didn't figure out a way to do that in environment a long time ago, then you'd be able to record directly to multiple tracks that way. I'm not knowledgable enough about environment to know if this is even possible.

Top Bottom