What's new

Mozart Symphony No. 1 mockup

Hey all,

Here is an orchestral mockup that I created of the first ~1:30 of the first movement of Mozart's Symphony No. 1 in Eb Major, K. 16.

I am using Cubase 10 with CSS for Strings, CSB for Horns, and EWHO for Oboes.

I would love any feedback on what I can improve in general or specifically to achieve a more realistic sound.

Thanks!

somethng funky goin on at 0:46

somethng funky goin on at 0:46

Yes, I think that is a intermittent ring-out I'm getting from Marcato articulations on the 2nd Violins when I bounce the audio. I haven't been able to track down the root cause — whether Cubase 10 expression maps, babylonwaves' specific maps, CSS, or NI Komplete Kontrol.

My solution for now, after chatting with various support folks, is to draw in sustain=0 for the length of the track, except where I need sustain for re-articulating repeat notes.

I have more investigating to do, but any insight would be appreciated.

Sounds well done. Nothing really jumps out at me as something to change or work on... so sorry nothing constructive to say, I guess. :thumbsup:

Mostly sounds fine to me, but the softer passages are too soft, IMO. Smaller orchestras, especially if they play on authentic instruments, don't have the huge dynamic range of a modern, large orchestra. Also, the strings at 0:46 sounded quite off.

good job! well done.

only thing I would change, and only if you realy look for things to improve, is that on the headphones I'm listening on now, it seems the oboes are in a smaller room and a bit 'in front'.

still nice to hear!

good job! well done.

only thing I would change, and only if you realy look for things to improve, is that on the headphones I'm listening on now, it seems the oboes are in a smaller room and a bit 'in front'.

still nice to hear!

Definitely, thank you for the feedback. This is good input for the template I'm building. I'm doing Front / Middle / Back / Other reverb sends.

I would be interested in what kind of processing and mixing was done here :)

Sure —

• EQ — Neutron 3 Equalizer on each instrument for slight complimentary EQing, reducing honkiness, bringing out good qualities.
  • Reverb — Two sends with Valhalla Room set to FlarhgunnstowHall, with different Predelay and Decay settings for Front and Middle. Oboes and Horns sent to Middle, all Strings sent to Front.
  • Levels — Other than that, just balancing. Mostly pulling the Oboes and Horns way down.
I've typically been applying some light panning but apparently skipped on this one.

The oboes seem to be systematically ahead of the beat, compared to the string section, for example around 1:10. I would mess with track delays, to maybe add a negative delay to the strings or a positive delay to the oboes, probably around 80 ms more or less. Not sure about the horns, you might want to try different values :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom