1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mother Earth - A musical video

Discussion in 'Member's Compositions' started by kjelleman, Sep 12, 2017.

1. kjelleman

kjelleman Active Member

Jul 13, 2017
    This is a musical poem circling around the scientific view about the evolution of Earth commencing with its creation and formation then focusing on the biological evolution ending with the creation of intellectual life.
    I have posted the music earlier and here it comes with a video.
    It would be nice to get feedback, e.g. whether the video and music enhance each other.

mc_deli likes this.
  2. mc_deli

mc_deli n trepreneur

Feb 22, 2015
    Maximum respect for the enormity of this. An amazing amount of work. I love the visuals.

I am not a strings expert and have limited classical knowledge so take this with a pinch of salt. Also, it is hard to comment without knowing more context, intended use, reference tracks etc.

I think the opening 90 seconds is very, very important. You need to grab people in order to stand a chance of them getting through 15 mins - at least you don't want to lose them, right?

For me, the opening didn't really work. With the visuals I would have liked more dynamics, maybe slower transitions, more breathing space, maybe an opening credit, some kind of beginning, to help locate me. Then with the music I felt the strings were a bit synthy, undynamic, it was difficult to latch on to a hook. And by dynamics I mean the bloom of each note, the arc of passages, and overall. And then I felt that the big showpiece moments where the music and video play together (e.g. the arrival of the sun) didn't really work. It seemed like you went for a few hit points but they didn't really come together. Somehow I am also confused as to whether the visuals or music are leading.

I had a flick through the rest and there's so much good music. (I dream of being able to do something this good by the way!)
  3. markleake

markleake Recovering sale addict

Nov 8, 2015
    It does sound like you put a fair bit of work into this, but the dynamics don't change much at all -- both overall, and for the individual lines/players also. There's the occasional section where the players wake up, but otherwise they are a bit asleep in terms of dynamics, and it is very cyclic.

I wonder what the intent with the strings was? They sound like they are playing every note as long Détaché style, which is not how real players would play. After 10 minutes of that, not many people are going to be listening still.

If you can focus on improving the dynamics, and work on some way to overcome the issue with your sample libs (assuming that is the cause, I'm just guessing?), then it would improve it a fair bit. You've set a hard task for yourself though... it is a very long track.

Hope that was helpful and you see the feedback as constructive. I'm still learnering myself, so take my feedback with a grain of salt if you wish.
  4. OP

kjelleman Active Member

Jul 13, 2017
    Thank you both for listening and valuable feedback. You may also want to listen to my newly finished track and maybe l have learned and improved (although it was finished before your feedback):