Most you're willing to pay for courses(Poll)

How much are you willing to pay for a 3-5 hour course.

• Total voters

ProfoundSilence

Out of curiosity, what is the price point that you're willing to spend on theory/composition courses, now there are a few online learning sources in the market. Since many of these sites have varied lesson structuring, I'll be basing this poll off of a pretty common chunk of time(which could include a few lessons, an entire course, or a single video on one subject)

Option 1: Wouldn't pay for it, plenty of free learning resources
Option 2: Would pay 2-3$ a month on patreon to get 3-5 hours of learning material monthly
Option 3: Would pay ~29$ for a 3-5 hour course
Option 4: Would pay ~100$ for a 3-5 hour course
Option 5: Would pay ~300$ for a 3-5 hour course
Option 6: Money is no issue, I'll pay thousands for an advantage - if I think it brings something new to the table.

Bonus question: how much per year are you willing to budget for learning only materials, and how does this compare to what you're willing to spend on virtual instruments.

Markrs

Complete Beginner
I have got a few courses via udemy, but at the moment I have been going through courses on skillshare. As I find lessons by different teachers give different perspectives and help reinforce knowldge by giving a different approach helps. On udemy I have purchased courses on specifics like orchestrating strings. I am in the look out for a more comprehensive course and looking into M.I.T.A but that doesn't look the right fit for me. I am also in the longer term considering Guy Michelmore's Thinkspace Masters courses. Alsothinking about Scoreclub which seems very popular on here. The problem for me being new is that I am learning music theory / composition / orchestration / sound design / synths / mixing as well as learning to properly use a DAW and all the VIs.

I also have a few books but haven't really read them much as I do like video and verbal demostrations. I have just purchased Mapping Tonal Harmony Pro 8 for iPad to help with tonal harmony. There also have a Mac app or interactive PDF. There videos focus on a lot of Jazz theory and practice but there are videos on classical and pop tonal harmony and reharmonisation. I also got their Tessitura Pro (Scales & Modes), See Music (Sight-Reading) and Politonus (Ear Training) as part of a bundle.

I should add that I have also gone for musescore pro (was surprisingly cheapest via ipad where I go offered the subscription for only £12 for the year) so that I can fully use the scores on there.

Last edited:

emilio_n

I have got a few courses via udemy, but at the moment I have been going through courses on skillshare. As I find lessons by different teachers give different perspectives and help reinforce knowldge by giving a different approach helps. On udemy I have purchased courses on specifics like orchestrating strings. I am in the look out for a more comprehensive course and looking into M.I.T.A but that doesn't look the right fit for me. I am also in the longer term considering Guy Michelmore's Thinkspace Masters courses. Alsothinking about Scoreclub which seems very popular on here. The problem for me being new is that I am learning music theory / composition / orchestration / sound design / synths / mixing as well as learning to properly use a DAW and all the VIs.

I also have a few books but haven't really read them much as I do like video and verbal demostrations. I have just purchased Mapping Tonal Harmony Pro 8 for iPad to help with tonal harmony. There also have a Mac app or interactive PDF. There videos focus on a lot of Jazz theory and practice but there are videos on classical and pop tonal harmony and reharmonisation. I also got their Tessitura Pro (Scales & Modes), See Music (Sight-Reading) and Politonus (Ear Training) as part of a bundle.

I should add that I have also gone for musescore pro (was surprisingly cheapest via ipad where I go offered the subscription for only £12 for the year) so that I can fully use the scores on there.
Did you find useful Tonal Harmony? I am learning from zero (Ok, let's said close to zero as I learned piano and some music theory when I was a teenager)
I found the app Gui confusing but just from the screenshots, I didn't buy yet. What is your opinion?
What about the bundle?

Last edited:

Markrs

Complete Beginner
Did you find useful Tonal Harmony? I am learning from zero (Ok, let's said close to zero as I learned piano and some music theory when I was a teenager)
I found the app Gui confusing but just from the screenshots, I didn't buy yet. What is your opinion?
What about the bundle?
Only bought it yesterday, so haven't had a proper go at it, but I found the videos on using it for classical music, especially the beethoven ones more useful in understanding how it could be used. Basically it is a visualisation of the chordal options you have at any point. There sell packs that you can use that interact with the app and show the chordal progressions, but you can also use if with other scores by inputting the chords. I got musescore so i could use that as well. What it doesn't do it full part harmony including melody lines. I think that is why it is probably more useful for jazz than traditional composition.

I decided to get it as it is on offer till the end of today plus I the bundle optioned worked for me as I need to improve my sight reading (for which i have none) and ear training. So it cost £32 for all that (the tonal harmony is £20) and given the cost of online training I felt it was worth a go.

emilio_n

Only bought it yesterday, so haven't had a proper go at it, but I found the videos on using it for classical music, especially the beethoven ones more useful in understanding how it could be used. Basically it is a visualisation of the chordal options you have at any point. There sell packs that you can use that interact with the app and show the chordal progressions, but you can also use if with other scores by inputting the chords. I got musescore so i could use that as well. What it doesn't do it full part harmony including melody lines. I think that is why it is probably more useful for jazz than traditional composition.

I decided to get it as it is on offer till the end of today plus I the bundle optioned worked for me as I need to improve my sight reading (for which i have none) and ear training. So it cost £32 for all that (the tonal harmony is £20) and given the cost of online training I felt it was worth a go.
I think I will pull the trigger for the iOS bundle too. Thanks for the feedback!

Back to the poll, I a willing to pay more on education than for a standard library if really worth it and fits with my learning process. Said that is something difficult to know until you start to learn so my big problem is to take the risk with something that I am not sure if I will engage or follow.

Macrawn

I'd pay 30 bucks for a quality 3-5 hour course, that is on the general basic side. Like for example mixing with Ozone/ Neutron or a course on using the Falcon synth, something like that. But there are tons of those on Udemy and you can usually get them for 10 bucks, and I have Groove 3 from every time I update Izotope, so I usually don't pay anything for those courses or next to nothing. You know, courses that save you from reading the manual and give a little guided practice.

If it was something that was more advanced right off the start and in depth beyond basic I'd pay more for that. Also a unique topic where there wasn't necessarily 50 courses on it on Udemy.

Even more if for example Joel Dollie offered another course on mxing where he gave you stems and went through one mix in 3-5 hours and you could mix along with the stems. Something like that would be worth more of a premium.

ed buller

Mapping Tonal Harmony is useful but very biased toward Jazz. It's a great app if you have some musical knowledge . It really deals with functional harmony on a variety of levels . As to the original question by the OP it's a pretty hard thing to quantify . I have bought a few on line lessons courses. Most of them I don't really rate. Scoreclub is hands down the Only course that blows me away every time. Not one of his courses disappoints and Alain is a great teacher . I don't know how much the monthly subscription is but I bought all the courses over the last 7 years and they are worth every penny.

I'd also recommend the Mix With The Masters. It's NOT all mixing. And these are literally the GODS of production and Mixing...ANDY WALLACE and ALAN MEYERSON for fucks sake......talking just to you, for 6 hours ...pulling apart a mix and showing you how it's done...for 20 bucks a month.......that's TWO trips to five guys !!!!!...And John Powell's in there too..nutz

best
e