Most unprocessed natural sounding big drum libraries

José Herring

I don't know if this has been discussed or even if I've brought it up before, don't remember, but I find myself trying to think of what is the most natural sounding big drums library?

As everybody gets excited over Damage 2, I find myself wondering if there's a library that isn't processed that's commercially available. Not a looped based one but single hits well recorded in a decent room with little to none at all post processing.

OP
José Herring

José Herring

Metropolis Ark 3 I think is unprocessed.

Is Strikeforce unprocessed, too perhaps?
Will check out Ark 3.
Stikeforce to me sounds very processed but I could be wrong.

Now, I remember. There was a guy that had a library on here that was what I'm looking for. It was deep, deep sampled but what he did was good. He posted close to the start of the pandemic a sale.

I'll have to dig it up.

Dietz

Space Explorer
Not a looped based one but single hits well recorded in a decent room with little to none at all post processing.

(EDIT: Errr .... Sorry that this reads like an ad here - I just posted the plain URLs, but it seems as they get parsed automatically. 8-/ ...)

jackroom1995

enough ranting, anyone got some links to some companies that produce high quality, raw unprocessed sample packs? I'm mostly working in that Progressive-Trance/Bass crossover stuff like Seven Lions and Fractal, and also do a bit more traditional progressive like the stuff from Silk Records Showbox jiofi.local.html tplinklogin and En-Prog.

Last edited:

ProfoundSilence

enough ranting, anyone got some links to some companies that produce high quality, raw unprocessed sample packs? I'm mostly working in that Progressive-Trance/Bass crossover stuff like Seven Lions and Fractal, and also do a bit more traditional progressive like the stuff from Silk Records and En-Prog.
you might want to start a new thread, that's pretty unrelated to the discussion

Mike Fox

Button Masher
What about HZ perc? There's a couple of pretty heavy hitting drums in there that sound natural, but huge due to the reverb. I mainly use it for adding depth though, because it is so wet.

Utkarsh

What about HZ perc? There's a couple of pretty heavy hitting drums in there that sound natural, but huge due to the reverb. I mainly use it for adding depth though, because it is so wet.
+1
Had heard about the 'wet sound' issue and skeptically purchased HZ Perc. But it just surprisingly blends in. I just upgraded to Pro in this summer sales.

OP
José Herring

José Herring

Thanks for all the replies.

I looked into Drums of the DEEP almost bought it but then thought did they use the same material in PercX and maybe I should get PercX. Then I heard that PercX focuses mostly on loops and it's too deep on single shots.

Couple of question. Does DOTD align their mic positions? On a couple of the hits I heard that famous flam sound you get when the mics are aligned. But, it could also be that there's more than one drum playing. Tough to tell from the video.

Next question. I love love love Tunetracks Percussion but it seemed to me to be a bit on the compressed side from the demos. I have EZ Drummer and I know it has a separate compression track that can be turned off. Is that the same for SDX?

Also, Drums of the Apoclypse is going for a good price and it sounds good to me but maybe on the processed side.

Also, any SD2 users out there? I have that and went through it the other day. I NEVER use it, but then I'm like why not? Not sure why I turned away from it. Maybe it just never worked in a mix. It's been so long I can't remember why I decided to not use it.

OP
José Herring

José Herring

(EDIT: Errr .... Sorry that this reads like an ad here - I just posted the plain URLs, but it seems as they get parsed automatically. 8-/ ...)
Dietz probably one of the more amazing libraries I've heard. The full Perc package is way more money than I liked to spend on any single library. But, never say never.

On the other hand, I almost got Dorado but the ensemble positions don't really work for me. I'd almost have ensembles of the same drum in all three positions (l,c,r) rather than a mixed ensemble all over the stereo field. It's hard to blend this:

Medium Taiko (Original, 20")Small Bass Drum (Lefima)Medium Concert Tom (Yamaha, 12")

ProfoundSilence

i dont think orchestral perc has particularly big drums... Nor are they phase aligned.

If the alignment is a priority for you, LA modern drums would probably be your best bet if you like the ones they have in their library.

Personally I go out of my way to re-add it if it's lost, because that gives a sense of depth, but if it really bothers you, I don't believe DotD are phase aligned.

OP
José Herring

José Herring

i dont think orchestral perc has particularly big drums... Nor are they phase aligned.

If the alignment is a priority for you, LA modern drums would probably be your best bet if you like the ones they have in their library.

Personally I go out of my way to re-add it if it's lost, because that gives a sense of depth, but if it really bothers you, I don't believe DotD are phase aligned.
Understood.

Yeah, I don't think it "really bothers" me. I just don't like the flammy sound and also the drums come up front and give a better punch and have more body if the samples are aligned. After all the ear doesn't hear an instrument from 3 different mic positions it hears one cohesive sound.

So I find that the depth increases in the actual sound source, as well as the punch and fullness and for spacial depth, I can rely on other things but in my experience it doesn't really get lost as much as gets put into the background.

I'll check out LA Modern Drums. Also, there may be a way to offset the group in Kontakt so the samples do align so I'm not ruling out DOTD, or I'll just resample it like I've done with so many others with the mix that I like.

These samples would necessarily be used in a traditional orchestral context but rather sound designed. I just need to start with something natural because I can also put the FX on but I can't take a baked in FX off.

ProfoundSilence

well the easiest thing to do if you want to get your hands dirty is using the different mics on different tracks and manually delaying the closer mics.

DotD doesn't have routing options by default but I had them under the hood easily enough