What's new

Most Disappointing Library Purchase?

Spitfire Audio's The Grange is still the worst library I've ever bought. Not only does it play clunky as hell in Kontakt, but the fact that every crash cymbal has a kick drum baked into it because of their flimsy excuse that the drummer told them "I don't ever hit a cymbal without hitting a kick drum with it" and they accepted it/defended it, still blows my mind as the dumbest sample set decision I can think of.
That would be Roger :) Thanks for the feedback, I've had it on my wishlist for a while now, although prefer playing EZD2 on edrums than finger drumming, but Queen is one of my favourite bands and RHCP are great too, if a little hit and miss.

Does it sound like Chad and Roger's 'sound' though? Still interested if it goes crazy low during BF.

giphy.webp
Hey, don't diss me, I've seen the way you dance :emoji_wink:

dance-off-moves.gif

MOST RECENT disappointment - Sonic Couture's Ensemblia 2 - Orchestral and also Ensemblia2 Percussion. Demos seemed decent at the time, in a 'one button to rule them all' sort of load of BS way. Thing is I always hate those libraries. I much prefer to orchestrate myself, etc. And like life, I was probably in some way intoxicated with some distant fantasy, like having a cue sound good without working hard for it. So, yup - that's on me.

I instantly regretted it after downloading. I had even asked myself "really, another library?... just because there's a sale going?....dude...." And boom - insta-library-regret shame set in.

The thing with those libraries, you don't get much detail. If you're looking for really fast things that won't be under any sort of microscope.... meaning - no one is going to hear what you do with it at all, then this might be the library for you. But, I found the lack of dynamic layering and other details made this unusable for me.

Generally, I like Sonic Couture's stuff - at least the purchases I've made from them. These two - no, especially at that price - even with the sale going.
I'm sorry you're disappointed, but these are NOT Soniccouture products!

Probably my own fault, but at the moment I'm too happy with my recent purchase of Hollywood Strings Gold.

I guess I like more of a pristine - clean-smooth-emotional string sound (whatever that means). HS has more of a chorused-phasey sound to my ears.

Maybe it will grow on me. I haven't actually used in a mix yet. And I'm sure I'll find some uses for layered in.
Did you mean to type *not* too happy? 😊

Yes... I did mean... "NOT". :grin: And b-t-w, Hollywood Strings has grown on me.

This is an example why I've become hesitant to criticize libraries. Often it's a matter of learning how and when to use the library.
I have to agree with this. I got the Project Sam bundle in one of those NI sales. Everybody love it! Yeah, no. Weird instrument combinations. Totally unusable for me and sat for a couple years. But then I decided to try it for a project I was working on for school. Yes, the ranges are limited, but you can turn off some of the instruments. I kind of liked the sound I was getting. I use it a bit more now.

Not so much regretting a library but regretting I never used them. There is a time to remove old stuff from systems to make room for the next hoard.

I've removed the original Alchemy and the AIR orchestra libraries.

Yes - apologies. Cinematique Instruments. And I generally really like their products. So, no association with Soniccouture products, other than my general experience of both companies making good, often really unique, products.

Corrected in original post.
I get them confused with each other too.

Top Bottom