What's new

Most Disappointing Library Purchase?

Hollywood Pop Brass. The sound is great but I do wish they had better isolation between sections. Seems wasted since you can have that Big Band / jazz sound but end up with bleed between sections. Which makes the separate mic positions pointless since you’ll always hear the trumpet blaring in each mic position no matter what is played :/.
This is a little concerning since I just picked it up and haven't really played with it.

This is a little concerning since I just picked it up and haven't really played with it.
It’s not a bad library, just not how I’d imagined it in terms of having separate microphone positions for the playable instrument patches. I do understand their philosophy on wanting everyone in the same room to get that tight sound of big band playing. But do wish the bleed was less. They did primarily market it as an ensemble library. Hope in future they consider doing solo big band instruments for us to put to good use with the same detailed sampling as HW Brass.

metropolis ark 3

great concept, but my OCD is irritated that it wasn't the same ensembles as ark 1, and doesn't come with more standard articulations.

it's not a bad library by any stretch, and its 100% my expectations being the problem, but honestly it just sounds so good but doesn't have a basic set of artics so its hard to use(unless you're just reaching for what the library does)

Yes Greg - you're making us all curious, please develop!

I was hoping the sound sources would be more elaborate and interesting. Lots of the same sound recorded and edited in not so interesting ways makes this a bust for me. I went through every single sound to pick out stuff I heard potential in to edit further but found only a few things. Just a big disappointment for me, in the context of my work (trailer music and dark film soundtracks.) I wouldn't call it a bad library or bad value for money though.

I'm a big fan of Soundiron's libraries but I'm going to have to go with Hyperion Strings Elements. Nice pizzicatos and well thought-out GUI aside, I thought they'd be a big improvement on the synthetic sound of the micro strings but, to my ears, they're not. I actually find them quite painful to listen to.

UPDATE: Nathan's cool with my daughter using them on her laptop and she's thrilled they're going on. Cool guy. Cool company. I don't want this to throw other people off because it really is just a personal thing (I'm scratching my head at 95% of the entries in this thread). I know there are plenty of you out there that really like them.

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of Soundiron's libraries but I'm going to have to go with Hyperion Strings Elements. Nice pizzicatos and well thought-out GUI aside, I thought they'd be a big improvement on the synthetic sound of the micro strings but, to my ears, they're not. I actually find them quite painful to listen to.
I’m with you on that. I love Soundiron, but the synthy sound on Hyperion was unexpected and very disappointing.

The micro sounded synthy. How could the elements not sound synthy? I probably won't get the "full" version, but I think I can use it as it is. And frankly, I can make any strings sound synthy.....
You're right, I'm sure. I didn't have micro, so took a chance with elements. It might still be useful somewhere and it's not my most disappointing library purchase (I'd rather not say what was as I appreciate the work of the developers), I just wish I had better understood that's what I was getting into it. I should have listened to more walkthroughs! :)

8Dio Soul Series: Christopher Young – The Collection. Yes I have watched walkthrough and read/look for information's regarding this library everywhere before buy. It was looking interesting until I get my hands on it. Even I got it at 40% off sale it is still too much for what it does. Maybe if it was flash sale for 8$ I will not care but because l paid 238$ I have to post this rant.

It feels like bunch of one shot samples packed together with very different quality and different room baked in especially in textural worlds. No looping and most of "instruments" sounds muddy or harsh. In order to get rid of IR reverb you have to get inside kontakt and remove/bypass it there because you can't turn if off completely in gui and it makes sound muddy or harsh even more. Worst is that their stretch feature is bugged and it is not working as it should. I have send them all required information regarding this bug at may 13 with included video showing the problem. After that I received mail may 27 with some files that fix only Orchestral touch from library but not rest. So I respond them again that they not fix the rest. Again they want me to prove it so I send them (may 28) another video showing that the same bug is in every instrument/patch in whole collection as I mention in my very first report about that bug. No response from them. There was 8Dio competition where you have to compose track using this library yet they have still not fixed the issue. Send them total four emails but it was not enough to get their attention.

Audiobro Modern Scoring Brass. The scripting and all the detailed tweaking that can be done would be great, but the samples suck! The instruments mostly sound awful(I'm talking tone-wise, not even scripting. The trombones don't even sound like trombones) and/or are very difficult to mix especially with eachother. The library takes gigs and gigs and is still missing a ton of dynamic range. It sells itself as a library that takes a lot of tweaking-and it does, but the results are honestly never even close to other libraries IMO. The content simply isn't there to be manipulated.

That's all not to mention the performance issues I've had. It seizes up constantly (I'm talking several seconds of the interface freezing happening randomly but frequently on the scale of only dozens of seconds in distance) and saving a project with any of these instruments loaded takes significantly longer than with any other library. But hey, performance issues can just be my own system not playing nicely. Your mileage may vary.

Audiobro Modern Scoring Brass. The scripting and all the detailed tweaking that can be done would be great, but the samples suck! The instruments mostly sound awful(I'm talking tone-wise, not even scripting. The trombones don't even sound like trombones) and/or are very difficult to mix especially with eachother. The library takes gigs and gigs and is still missing a ton of dynamic range. It sells itself as a library that takes a lot of tweaking-and it does, but the results are honestly never even close to other libraries IMO. The content simply isn't there to be manipulated.

That's all not to mention the performance issues I've had. It seizes up constantly (I'm talking several seconds of the interface freezing happening randomly but frequently on the scale of only dozens of seconds in distance) and saving a project with any of these instruments loaded takes significantly longer than with any other library. But hey, performance issues can just be my own system not playing nicely. Your mileage may vary.
Strange.

I saw the video of real - video explanation of this sample library , and I think it is one of the best at this time.

I don't own many libraries, (Yet. >.> ) but the most disappointing one in my collection would have to be EW's Voices of the Opera.

Not even because it's terrible - I've used it to satisfactory results - but because it doesn't do what I expected it would. When I heard the demos and heard the phrases, and I thought; "oh, cool! A soloist library with word builder!" Which was quite silly of me, but hey. :P

1. Sampletank 4 Max

Not because it sounds bad, but I have no use for most of the stuff. The good old sales trap, so it was my fault.

ST2 and 3 was nice and I was a great fan of the original Miroslav library, it was my first vsti orchestral library.

The Miroslav update 2.0 contained to my surprise the complete version 1.0 with some fixes and there were patches with keyswitches now.
But no legato, not even something like a fake legato. some patches were nice but I had some new libraries I liked better.

ST4 Max was a real challenge to download and install. And the included Miroslav 2 CE was also completely in the original Miroslav 2 Update. Not a single new sound, even no legato. Well, it was only one part of the package, but it doesn't have to be recycled that way (if you already have Miro 2).

The ST4 player is also not very resource friendly and there were some strange bugs. Meanwhile, the installation is no longer on my work disks. I didn't miss it either.

I didn't like the organization of the browser very much either, so it was a bad buy for me.

Upgrading from the full SampleTank 3 with some added instruments I decided ST4 SE would be just fine for me.

I don't own many libraries, (Yet. >.> ) but the most disappointing one in my collection would have to be EW's Voices of the Opera.

Not even because it's terrible - I've used it to satisfactory results - but because it doesn't do what I expected it would. When I heard the demos and heard the phrases, and I thought; "oh, cool! A soloist library with word builder!" Which was quite silly of me, but hey. :P
Here’s hoping the upcoming Backing Vocals library will be up to scratch.

Occasionally you read a post that comes from a completely different planet.

Top Bottom