What's new

Most Disappointing Library Purchase?

To be precise - the 8dio teasers are the biggest tricksters. Wouldn't it be actually funny if they use actual real musicians to make the teasers - sort of like they do teasers for games which are per-rendered and not the actual game engine, then you get the game and it looks far worse... because that it feels to me. (Conspiracies, conspiracies)

You're right. I definitely believe 8Dio is a company with very loose ethics. I was going to write a long post sometime in the future, but I'll just chime in now.

Their libraries are substandard at best. A lot of recycled garbage which I believe is then fed to developers in India, and then churned out with a fancy cover.

I have counted no less than four products I bought of theirs which are grossly out of tune with the tune key switch feature. We're talking around two semitones. Off the top of my head, these are some of the vocal libraries, Hybrid Tools - Dark Prophecy, The New Ambient Guitar, and many more.

To be frank, they just sound crap. And to top it off, my latest discovery is that 66 Basses has no extended sustain like all other libraries. Their version of sustain lasts around 6 seconds, then drops out. The library is completely useless to me.

I have contacted 8Dio numerous times about these issues and more, only to be fobbed off and treated with indifference. They promise to fix the problem, but they have no intention to.

Another issue is their Christmas sale bonanza, which is another way of schilling out their crapware. I fell for the trap and bought some of their libraries after being rewarded with a free one. It turns out that the last purchase did not reward me with the free library that I was only interested in. So, I ended up spending money to buy something I never wanted.

I contacted 8Dio about this, and they said it was a 'glitch' in the system. I just love those excuses.

And don't get me started on their 'competitions'. From what I've heard, they're also a time-wasting scam.

In truth, 8Dio's pricing is overinflated. For a company to reduce up to 80% on a product during a sale is very telling. Even at these sale rates, the libraries are just not worth buying. Can you imagine Spitfire Audio and Orchestral Tools dropping a library price by 80%? It's unheard of. It only shows that customers are already paying way over the actual valued price with 8Dio.

I truly believe that the fault lies with review sites who are given free copies to appraise, only to give disingenuous reviews, and not outline the fatal flaws in 8Dio's libraries. These review sites are terrified of giving negative reviews lest 8Dio and other companies fail to send new products in the future. I'm not mentioning any names.

My advice is to stay away from 8Dio. If you read through these forums, they are certainly starting to get a reputation for shoddy workmanship and deceptive practices.

What? Why not? Is there not a viable cc remapping you could do?
Primary issue is that the pitch bend range is a maximum of 2, and the roli simply doesn't work well in this range. 12 or more pitch bend range makes it handle much better.

an example(if my memory serves me) would be if you were to play an F, then an Ab - if it was a little flat - there is a chance it would try to read that as a G pitched up or something, and instead of a minor 3rd, I'd have a major 2nd. Hard to explain, but I didn't have this problem using the hein instruments, wivi, or even play engine.

like I said, I'm not entirely sure why it behaved poorly - but the roli simply didn't work well at +2/-2, and samplemodeling has a max pitch bend range of +2/-2, scripted into it - and the developers have basically said it's not going to be fixed.

So the roli itself behaves poorly when you set it to +2/-2 pitchbend? I'm curious because Geoshred works fine with +2/-2 pitchbend vst's. (I don't have a roli or any of the samplemodeling stuff.)

Not exactly disappointing but if I had to do things over again when I invested in sample libraries I would have gone with someone besides spitfire. Spitfire makes amazing samples and I have no complaints about their quality but if I had to do things over again I’d go with orchestral tools. I like how comprehensive OT’s Berlin series is, certain things like them taking the time to sample different horn or flute players. Adds lots of realism when you can write for individual parts instead of blobs of sound. Berlin percussion has endless options for picking various drums. You feel like you have way more control of the orchestra. I feel I’d like Berlin strings because with smaller sections you have options for more realistic divisi. I like how everything is recorded in the same space. I like how you get all the mics in one place. I like how the legato is in the same patch as the rest of the articulations. I’m sure like any other library there would be quirks to work around but what I think really matters is just knowing your individual needs and how you work and then making a purchase. How patches are set up is a small thing but it really has altered how I’ve set up my entire template. Not a huge deal tbh. Also I’m a big fan of how the cinematic studio series is layed out-there’s something to be said for consistent interfaces that are easy to use. Spitfire interfaces are fine, useable but nothing special.

Not exactly disappointing but if I had to do things over again when I invested in sample libraries I would have gone with someone besides spitfire. Spitfire makes amazing samples and I have no complaints about their quality but if I had to do things over again I’d go with orchestral tools. I like how comprehensive OT’s Berlin series is, certain things like them taking the time to sample different horn or flute players. Adds lots of realism when you can write for individual parts instead of blobs of sound. Berlin percussion has endless options for picking various drums. You feel like you have way more control of the orchestra. I feel I’d like Berlin strings because with smaller sections you have options for more realistic divisi. I like how everything is recorded in the same space. I like how you get all the mics in one place. I like how the legato is in the same patch as the rest of the articulations. I’m sure like any other library there would be quirks to work around but what I think really matters is just knowing your individual needs and how you work and then making a purchase. How patches are set up is a small thing but it really has altered how I’ve set up my entire template. Not a huge deal tbh. Also I’m a big fan of how the cinematic studio series is layed out-there’s something to be said for consistent interfaces that are easy to use. Spitfire interfaces are fine, useable but nothing special.

biggest issue with OT is the massive requirements to get full use out of them. ofcourse you could always set up a sketching template using 1 mic and 1 instrument per family, but don't beat yourself up - because if you don't have the rig to use OT in a way that fit your work flow - then you'd be having different headaches.

but yes, it gripes me when you record for instance solo flute - then flute a2... JUST RECORD THE TWO SEPERATE FLUTES lol. Although sometimes I wish I just used a really small template with less options, because all the options can certainly be paralyzing at times.

biggest issue with OT is the massive requirements to get full use out of them. ofcourse you could always set up a sketching template using 1 mic and 1 instrument per family, but don't beat yourself up - because if you don't have the rig to use OT in a way that fit your work flow - then you'd be having different headaches.

but yes, it gripes me when you record for instance solo flute - then flute a2... JUST RECORD THE TWO SEPERATE FLUTES lol. Although sometimes I wish I just used a really small template with less options, because all the options can certainly be paralyzing at times.
I know right?! Like if I want to combine the flutes I’ll do it myself! Also I’ll point out I’m not really one for doubling woodwinds a2 (two oboes on one part just makes me uncomfortable for example). Spitfire has great samples, very resource friendly. They get the job done. And countless pros use them and the mockups always sound amazing. You do have a point with limiting options. The less libraries you have the harder you have to work to get the sound you want. Eliminates decision fatigue. That’s how I am with plugins. I’m not a mix engineer so I don’t need 10 different compressors or EQs. Just have my workhorses that I know well and can get good results with. But then I see something shiny and the next thing I know I’m checking out on PayPal

well if you have the money, I personally wish I had more than 128 gb of ram using OT.

the multi in capsule is very powerful, but eats up ram like it's going out of style.

but that said, if you have the ram to mix mics AND you use multi's to blend articulations - you don't need EQ or plugins.

Lol, this thread proves you can't please everyone. Some love spitfire, some orchestral tools, some 8dio. I couldn’t get into CSSS at first, but then suffered through learning the fine details of the CC settings and then also gained an appreciation for spitfires versatility. Now orchestral tools are starting to show some lacking in versatility by comparison. Still, love 8dio and OT’s tone but 8dio in particular does have its odd quirks. I don’t think any of these makers are bad. We just have workflows and needs. We’ll probably never agree on what is best or worst because we all have different priorities.

Lol, this thread proves you can't please everyone. Some love spitfire, some orchestral tools, some 8dio. I couldn’t get into CSSS at first, but then suffered through learning the fine details of the CC settings and then also gained an appreciation for spitfires versatility. Now orchestral tools are starting to show some lacking in versatility by comparison. Still, love 8dio and OT’s tone but 8dio in particular does have its odd quirks. I don’t think any of these makers are bad. We just have workflows and needs. We’ll probably never agree on what is best or worst because we all have different priorities.

Releasing a product where the key tune is out by at least two semitones is a deal breaker, and a sign of a shoddy company. Even more when said company refuses to issue an update or an apology.

Lol, this thread proves you can't please everyone. Some love spitfire, some orchestral tools, some 8dio. I couldn’t get into CSSS at first, but then suffered through learning the fine details of the CC settings and then also gained an appreciation for spitfires versatility. Now orchestral tools are starting to show some lacking in versatility by comparison.

strange… there are some things I liked about SF library ui's - like the round robin stack feature, but I can't see where you feel like there is more versatility with SF's ui vs CSS... maybe I misunderstood you - and you enjoy the sheer amount of articulations in some of their symphonic series?

I admit I kind of miss flautando, but being able to crossfade between 3 different kinds of bowing techniques in legato is unquestionably made SF obsolete to me. Although BS+ exp a and b isn't cheap - capsule has opened up a mountain of possibilities, even at it's steep resource cost. If there was another way to crossfade between other articulations - it would be awesome.

on the contrary, this is a thread specifically for airing grievances - and 8dio's quality control isn't exactly stellar. I know some talented people who use some 8dio patches because they are the only ones that can do what they do - but also aren't going to sugar coat them as being hit and miss.

Nothing is sacred, and if someone bought something they were disappointed in - then it's perfectly fine for it end up in a thread titled "most disappointing library purchase". Maybe you confused this thread for the sub forum "SAMPLE Talk". Unless you're truly suggesting that criticizing libraries that people spend hundreds(and thousands) of dollars on should not be welcome on the internet, and users should just play Russian roulette and just buy libraries blindly hoping there aren't any serious faults that would prevent them from making a purchase.

when Christmas sales were going on, there was a whole thread praising 8dio - so maybe you're overreacting on the negativity you're experiencing.

Releasing a product where the key tune is out by at least two semitones is a deal breaker, and a sign of a shoddy company. Even more when said company refuses to issue an update or an apology.

Not trying to excuse them. Rather I don’t get too caught up in these things anymore since vi-control is constant exposure to people’s gripes and developers shortcomings. In 8dio it’s pitchy recordings or mistakes. For others they’re too wet, or too dry, or the legato isn’t good enough, or the instruments aren’t tuned right, or samples aren’t programmed correctly etc etc. Every time there is someone who finds these things to be so big a deal that the library is “unusable”. Only thing that’s matters in the end is if you can use it or not. There are still many good useable things in 8dio for me, as well as other makers.

strange… there are some things I liked about SF library ui's - like the round robin stack feature, but I can't see where you feel like there is more versatility with SF's ui vs CSS... maybe I misunderstood you - and you enjoy the sheer amount of articulations in some of their symphonic series?

I admit I kind of miss flautando, but being able to crossfade between 3 different kinds of bowing techniques in legato is unquestionably made SF obsolete to me. Although BS+ exp a and b isn't cheap - capsule has opened up a mountain of possibilities, even at it's steep resource cost. If there was another way to crossfade between other articulations - it would be awesome.

I think what I mean to say is, there are just moods that change with the projects and access to new libraries. Truth is they’re all great in different ways and it’s fun to find where they fit. CSSS is versatile and easy to use but sometimes doesn’t feel as full as I want it to. Spitfire sometimes doesn’t feel like it’s worth it’s price, but again these moods change when I crack open the manual and try something new. OT has always been my go to, but it’s vibrato is not as versatile as others. Nonetheless they all get used depending on where the fit. In that way it’s like having a bunch of different players for each project.

I won't be changing my opinion that 8Dio is a sham company that churns out shit products and even shittier customer service. I'm amazed at the blind loyalty for such a shyster company. They won't be getting my hard earned money ever again.

Fair enough

So far, i really liked this forum, because it wasn't going the kvr-route (i.e. when hobbyists bash everything they either can't afford or understand).
And - without knowing you - i would be somehow glad if you wouldn't post such statements which will damage the reputation and value of this forum.

I have lots of 8dio libraries (as libraries from lots of other developers) and i think your assumptions are not only false but dangerous.
Some of them may have flaws (as have the libraries of almost every other developers...), but don't attack them if the library isn't doing the work for you. Since that is your part.

I would agree that criticizing a library and condemning a maker in whole is a different level. Customer service for me has been good and having collected a fair amount of 8dio products as well, I’ve had more satisfying experiences than not.

Im shocked at the 8dio hate here.
I agree, that in the music sampling world, 8dio is in their own little corner and plays by a different set of rules.

Some of their early stuff is certainly questionable, but Im not sure how anyone who has used their Century Series can say anything bad about those libraries. They are both fantastic well thought out libraries.

Reactions: EgM
Top Bottom