What's new

Most Disappointing Library Purchase?

United String of Europe 1st Violins. Impulse buy for a layering lib. Not saying it is a bad lib - just not for me.

8Dio Agitato Legato Arpeggio (What good are the ostinato phrases if they don't loop. Useless library and waste of money)
8Dio Aura Guitars (Poor interface and usability)

Spitfire Phobos (I don't really resonate with it so far and doubt I'll use it much)
Sample Logic Rhythmology
too many others not worth mentioning

Embarrassed to admit I bought it, but Sampletank 3 and the lower end Miro 2. I had picked up a ton of ST2 / Miro 1 stuff dirt cheap years ago and had fun with it. Thought ST3 / M2 would be on par with say mid tier modern stuff. Boy was I wrong. Terrible sound, terrible interface.

Yeah... I remember when they had announced that ST3 was coming and they hyped it up pretty bad. I bought into the hype. They also kept stressing that the only way you could keep on using Miroslav Philharmonik (1) in 64 bit would be to import the library into ST3, so I did the $99 'pre-order' thing. I did a reinstall of my system and I didn't even bother installing ST3 this time...

Heavyocity Intimate Textures

The textures are a cool idea, but these recordings are scratchy in a harsh and unpleasing way for my ears. Many of them are also on the busy side for me. The other stuff, the whole processing strings through distortion, compression, gating and sequencing just sounds awful to to me. It just sounds so gimmicky. While I can get some use out of the basic texture patches (so long as I EQ them), I do regret the purchase

I'll add Heavyocity Vocalize as well

Pads are mostly cluttered sounding and swamped in reverb and delay. The velocity response is really strange as well. Even using the velocity adjustment that they supply, the dynamic range always feel large and overly sensitive. The vocal phrases are nice, but they are not tempo synced. Not terrible library, but disappointed in enough ways to regret it -

Heavyocity Intimate Textures

The textures are a cool idea, but these recordings are scratchy in a harsh and unpleasing way for my ears. Many of them are also on the busy side for me. The other stuff, the whole processing strings through distortion, compression, gating and sequencing just sounds awful to to me. It just sounds so gimmicky. While I can get some use out of the basic texture patches (so long as I EQ them), I do regret the purchase

Same here, it's no where near spitfire in audio quality. Heavyocity has some great ideas and some good sounds but they always need so much eq and processing to get the mixing right.

Impact Sound Works Straight Ahead Jazz Horns. I mostly bought it for the auto-harmonizer thingy but the actual sound of the library is pretty bad IMHO. I get better mileage with Session Horns Pro and Obellisk. To add insult to injury i snuck this purchase on a credit card behind the wife's back. She no happy.

Lyrical Cello Phrases by Sonuscore.

Somehow I mixed this up, and bought wrong library, I thought it was another product called Emotional Cello.

Whats even the point with a library that isnt tempo fixed. I opened it once and have never opened it since - why even have something like that for sale among VST:s. Straight from the arab market.

8Dio Agitato Legato Arpeggio (What good are the ostinato phrases if they don't loop. Useless library and waste of money)
8Dio Aura Guitars (Poor interface and usability)

Spitfire Phobos (I don't really resonate with it so far and doubt I'll use it much)
Sample Logic Rhythmology
too many others not worth mentioning

I’m with you on most of this, but really thought Rhythmology would be useful, no? Reminds me of my most disappointing purchase- Sonokinetics Cappricio, the phrases don’t always switch smoothly and have limited variety- with zero dynamics. Volume yes, dynamics no. Very limited. Never got Rhythmology but it sounds good. I think I’m just done using phrase libraries, the limitations for the price is just to great (even on sale).

Top Bottom