1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Most Disappointing Library Purchase?

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by tsk, Feb 9, 2018.

1. rottoy

rottoy Gentleman Scholar

May 12, 2013
    Hahahah, now I want this thread to materialize.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    MrLinssi, Polkasound and Sibelius19 like this.
  2. Darren Durann

Darren Durann Senior Member

Aug 10, 2017
    You know...last library I bought was the Bernard Herrmann, probably my favorite library ever (duh..you think? ;) ). So I really haven't been buying much to be disappointed in.

In fact, as dubious as this will understandably sound, I'm grabbing LCO if it ever goes on sale and that will be it outside of upgrades for a long time, really.

I just realized I went six months without buying a library, and concurrently my bank account is doing great.

Gee, do ya think there's a connection?

3. Marko Zirkovich

Marko Zirkovich Senior Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Nope. Impossible. There can't be. It definitely must be something else.

4. Guy Bacos

Guy Bacos Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Could it also be that people expect too much from libraries? Like a violinist buying a better violin thinking he won't need to do as much practicing anymore.

5. Symfoniq

Symfoniq Senior Member

May 8, 2013
    Sometimes, perhaps.

But it's also possible to buy a new violin that's worse than the one you already had. Especially when you can't demo it first.

6. Guy Bacos

Guy Bacos Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Usually doesn't a violinist try out the instrument before buying it? Or did I misunderstood?

7. Symfoniq

Symfoniq Senior Member

May 8, 2013
    Substitute "sample library" for "violin."

My point is that you're right, there will always be people who have unrealistic expectations. Sometimes, though, people just expect a new library to do something better than their current library, but it is actually worse than their current library. This is doubly frustrating when (unlike the violin) you can't demo the sample library first.

Maplemills likes this.
  8. Guy Bacos

Guy Bacos Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Would be cool if there was a free 2 or 5 day trial for all libraries, with a few limitations. That's dreaming I guess.

Maplemills, fiestared, Coqui and 7 others like this.
  9. Or we could sell the violin if we don’t like it?

fiestared, Coqui and dpasdernick like this.
  10. Darren Durann

Aug 10, 2017
    Well, you can do that with the Chris Hein. However, I wouldn't advise getting rid of that. No.

11. Casiquire

Casiquire Senior Member

May 7, 2013
    Oh I have my acceptance speech prepared.

12. Guy Bacos

Guy Bacos Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    We'll probably see Amazon doing this soon.

Coqui likes this.
  13. dpasdernick

dpasdernick Senior Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Same for me. I installed it and found the programming to be very sloppy in places. I uninstalled it and it sits on my shelf. Other disappointments were my 8DIO buy-a-thon where I bought Basstard, Post Apocalypse Guitars, Hybrid Scoring Tools 2 and Dubstep Vol 1. Never use them. I could buy a house with hardware and software regrets. :(

VgsA likes this.
  14. dpasdernick

dpasdernick Senior Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Darren, you can't be in "the club" unless you buy stuff all day long. Good God man put down the "responsibility" and get off the wagon.

Maplemills, gaskell and Darren Durann like this.
  15. givemenoughrope

givemenoughrope Senior Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    errrr..mmm...all of them eventually? I honestly don’t know.

16. NYC Composer

NYC Composer Senior Member

Jul 24, 2008
    Now that’s just crazy talk.

Darren Durann and Henu like this.
  17. Darren Durann

Aug 10, 2017
    lol! You're right.

18. Truni.Robinson

Truni.Robinson Member

Feb 13, 2018
    Eh, I was a did a really quick purchase of deep sampled solo violin. Did not think it was loop based because I was an idiot and didn't read through it enough, just heard the demos. Kind of getting tired that they are trying to make loops into orchestral music.

Casiquire likes this.
  19. reddognoyz

reddognoyz Senior Member

thanks I will, I know a lot of this stuff works well, It's a great sounding library, I just haven't found the place for it in my compositions.

20. StevenOBrien

StevenOBrien Senior Member

Sep 22, 2012
    Ireland
    Hollywood Strings. It was the first big library I ever bought when I was around 17 years old. Spent months saving up for it. It sounded great, but ended up being almost completely unusable due to the PLAY engine. Waited eagerly for an update to PLAY (I think it was PLAY 4?), and when I got it, it ended up making the performance/crashing even worse. Uninstalled it later that week and never used it again. ~$400 down the drain.