What's new

Most Disappointing Library Purchase?

Casiquire

Per the HEY! Shouts description: This VST3 plugin delivers you a set of realistic sounding “HEY” shouts.
"Shouts" being plural, I thought I was getting a library. Hence my disappointment in only getting a single.
The YouTube ad for it does sound like more than one Hey.

edhamilton

VSL Full Cube.
Disappointed because the promise (in print) was that you NEVER pay for the same samples twice.
Originally purchased in Giga but I also cross graded to ESX.
Cool - happy to pay for the programming work. Price made sense and inline with the "never pay twice for the same samples" policy.

Then came their own player.
And you had to pay for the exact same samples - again.

Great to see all the new products (new samples).

But I've never purchased anything from them again.

Superior Drummer - same thing.
They had a new version with upgrade path, that once it ended has never been offered again.
Any other product in our universe let's you upgrade when you're ready.
Toontrack makes you rebuy the whole thing once you missed the initial upgrade offer.

Never bought anything from them again.

I regret many other library purchases in that those samples didn't work out for me.
But I've bought again from those developers as its not their fault I didn't end up using the purchase.
They followed reasonable customer service.

VSL and Toontrack did not. And neither is going to get a second chance to do that again to my wallet.

bill5

I'll change my vote to 8Dio's Studio Sax. It's not godawful but I suspect I'll never use it. It just doesn't sound realistic enough IMO and the way the plugin itself is set up I didn't like at all.

wahey73

Life has a sick sense of humor
Even worse, so-called "influencers" who are clearly paid to endorse a product on YouTube while pretending otherwise.
Funny, yesterday someone bashed Alex Pfeffer (@Waywyn) on his facebook page for the same topic and even that person didn't refer to "reviewers" or "musicians" or "youtubers" or....but to "influencers". Funny coincidence :) Anyhow, even I make reviews but never got paid to do so, only received some review copies once in a while but mentioned them. Even if it doesn't change a thing, if I find something negative I mention it, and if the sounds are good or bad you are able to tell for yourself.

clarkcontrol

I too got stung with the “never pay twice” lie. Bought the exs version in 2004, was really happy with it. They leapfrogged the competition truly in those days. Incredible stuff.

Really wish they could’ve figured out some sort of upgrade path, even if it wasn’t just a “programming the player” fee. Unfortunate.

Also never bought from them again.

Alchemedia

Decomposer
Funny, yesterday someone bashed Alex Pfeffer (@Waywyn) on his facebook page for the same topic and even that person didn't refer to "reviewers" or "musicians" or "youtubers" or....but to "influencers". Funny coincidence :) Anyhow, even I make reviews but never got paid to do so, only received some review copies once in a while but mentioned them. Even if it doesn't change a thing, if I find something negative I mention it, and if the sounds are good or bad you are able to tell for yourself.
It wasn't me! I don't follow Alex Pfeffer.

Incidentally, @Cory Pelizzari recently made a video explaining how he felt uncomfortable receiving review copies and said in the future he will only review libraries he actually purchases. His reviews are excellent and I admire his candor and integrity.

el-bo

When life gives you lemons, swap 'em for mangos
VSL Full Cube.
Disappointed because the promise (in print) was that you NEVER pay for the same samples twice.
Originally purchased in Giga but I also cross graded to ESX.
Cool - happy to pay for the programming work. Price made sense and inline with the "never pay twice for the same samples" policy.

Then came their own player.
And you had to pay for the exact same samples - again.

Great to see all the new products (new samples).

But I've never purchased anything from them again.

Superior Drummer - same thing.
They had a new version with upgrade path, that once it ended has never been offered again.
Any other product in our universe let's you upgrade when you're ready.
Toontrack makes you rebuy the whole thing once you missed the initial upgrade offer.

Never bought anything from them again.

I regret many other library purchases in that those samples didn't work out for me.
But I've bought again from those developers as its not their fault I didn't end up using the purchase.
They followed reasonable customer service.

VSL and Toontrack did not. And neither is going to get a second chance to do that again to my wallet.
To be fair to VSL, you paid thrice. Were I the judge, I’d rule in their favour ;) ;)

And that whole SD3 upgrade bullshit is the reason I’d never go anywhere near Toontrack 💩💩

Futchibon

A spaced oddity
I think Cory tends to be fair in his reviews about both the good and bad. A free copy shouldn't change that.
You're clearly not aware of his vendetta against 8Dio who he has cruelly called 'H8Dio' and apparently refuses to review any more of their products.

And any composer who calls Tundra just 'OK' is hard to take seriously.

MaxOctane

Señor Member
You're clearly not aware of his vendetta against 8Dio who he has cruelly called 'H8Dio' and apparently refuses to review any more of their products.

Hey, can we please just stop with this topic? You're singling out a forum member, completely unnecessarily. There's no need, and VI-C threads quickly spiral into total shit-shows when people start expressive their negative opinion of other members. So, please, let's just not.

ism

It depends on whether he's trying to be a critic, in which case "not my thing" isn't the same as "horrible and disappointing library", or whether he's trying to be a Youtuber, in which case "not my thing" is exactly the same as "horrible and disappointing library".

ism

Hey, can we please just stop with this topic? You're singling out a forum member, completely unnecessarily. There's no need, and VI-C threads quickly spiral into total shit-shows when people start expressive their negative opinion of other members. So, please, let's just not.
I kind of agree with you here. But I also think that a great deal of confusion in notions of "impartiality" in sample library reviews is a part of the problem. And the uncritical veneration of certain reviewers as "impartial" (as opposed to critical, which is kind of the missing concept in sample library reviewing) is a part of the problem.

I really like Cory, and his reviews. But I also think that uncritical veneration of impartiality of some people and not others is also a source of tensions that could be avoided.

By which I mean, there's got to be a way to make such critiques politely.

Futchibon

A spaced oddity
I kind of agree with you here. But I also think that a great deal of confusion in notions of "impartiality" in sample library reviews is a part of the problem. And the uncritical veneration of certain reviewers as "impartial" (as opposed to critical, which is kind of the missing concept in sample library reviewing) is a part of the problem.

I really like Cory, and his reviews. But I also think that uncritical veneration of impartiality of some people and not others is also a source of tensions that could be avoided.

By which I mean, there's got to be a way to make such critiques politely.
Points taken, but how are fans of 8Dio, or worse, 8Dio staff themselves, meant to take your comment Max? Cory called 8Dio H8Dio, there is no contesting that. If he apologised that would be a different story. Troels and others don't deserve that.

Top Bottom