What's new

Most Disappointing Library Purchase?

holywilly

Bible of Salsa bundle. I have no idea why the key maps for loops and instruments are such a mess, they really need to organize the damn key map for efficiency.
The sounds aren’t not bad tho, just feel frustrated when I have to transpose down to C-2 for just one loop.

easyrider

Late to the party here, but +1 for Phobos as well. Maybe I just haven't found the right musical/sonic application, but it's been the only purchase I've truly regretted. Which is sad, because I really respect BT's work.
That’s the exact reason why I didn’t jump on the bundle for 65%off

DrSgtShock

Palette's Orchestral FX has been a disappointment for me. Not only did I buy it a couple weeks before it went on sale, I've just really been having trouble fitting it into my compositions. The stuff not already covered by Metropolis Arks I/II (which have plenty of cluster stabs and glissandos) are the huge risers and cacophonous swells that sounded really cool at the time of purchase but now feel limited to either cartoons or horror -- neither of which are styles I'm currently writing for. I mean this is probably a limitation fueled more by my own ignorance of what sounds like that can be applied to, so I'm sure if I find the right scores I can get some inspiration and really get some use out of those dollars I spent.

zwhita

I don’t have any of theirs but I will buy it even a thousand people say it won’t live up to the expectations coz I know how to work those things out...
If someone can figure out how to fix the out of tune vibrato crossfades, I'm all ears. The Cinesamples tone sounds great. Still useless.

Futchibon

A spaced oddity
I found District 4 in MA1 disappointing and never use it: guitars are poor, drumkit is average, bass is nice but not as good as others. Yet MA1 is one of my favourite libraries as the first 3 Districts are awesome, so go figure!

Ciochi

back to topic tbh:

8DIO Majestica - and tons of Synth stuff (like Hexeract, stuff from Rigid Audio etc - not really library related but mentioned for the sake of completeness).
why you say rigid audio? I dont love the multi layer synth like cinematrix, but the pad stuff like viego or pad therapy I think is great, for the price also.

hauspe

why you say rigid audio? I dont love the multi layer synth like cinematrix, but the pad stuff like viego or pad therapy I think is great, for the price also.
I think I have all from RA and never used one single sample or instrument. At least only these folders are still on my SSD: Nylonist, Aquiver, Metawave, Sore, Stompbox and Viego. They are (still) on my SSD just in case that one day I could use them...

Ciochi

I think I have all from RA and never used one single sample or instrument. At least only these folders are still on my SSD: Nylonist, Aquiver, Metawave, Sore, Stompbox and Viego. They are (still) on my SSD just in case that one day I could use them...
i found that those I said before are great for ambience.

I was thinking about this ... from my own experience ...

I would say nearly 99.9% of the time, my biggest disappointments are plugins NOT samples. The latest compressor ... or channel strip ... or reverb ...

And to be honest, I hardly ever hear the difference it makes. Especially all the compression, channel strip, saturation, etc. People swear they hear the difference that putting a SSL or Neve channel strip makes, and to be honest ... I struggle hearing it.

I would bet if someone mixed the same song on Logic or Pro Tools stock plugins ... versus the most expensive ones on the market ... I would bet 9/10 people would not be able to hear the difference.

Reverb or Delay? Maybe 7/10 people would never hear the difference.

Bad samples like orchestra? Maybe 3/10 would not hear it.

I just am almost always disappointed by any plugin.

Most samples I enjoy in some form. The Get Good Drums was my biggest disappointment of late, but I'm sure it is user error. Areia strings was disappointing too, but again it is probably me.

To me, I always end up back with Berlin Strings, and possibly Spitfire Chamber. I don't know why I insist on the "holy grail" where I buy every string package out there. I should learn from my plugin disappointment.

I think that is another reason I struggled with templates. The template felt like a temptation to just buy more stuff. But now, I'm thinking of building a template like I'm actually paying musicians. So, I can't have 50 different string libraries. I have ONE. And if there are others I have, then they have to prove they are better to replace them.

Use the same musicians (i.e. samples) until I find a better one to replace them with. But until then do NOT replace them. Instead use them ... and get music out.

There is something magical about putting limitations. So if I buy 100 compressors, then fine. But in an actual studio I'd probably only have access to 2-3 of them. Use my spare time to test out the other 98 (like my own personal Guitar Center), BUT ... it never touches the studio unless I commit to it. AND I replace.

So much of my time wasted. Kind of like how email at work can make you feel like you are "doing" work, but you really aren't.

Less is more ...
There is the weird internet phenomenon of people insisting that hyped-up plugins are so much better than what you already have. It makes no sense. This is audio, not wristwatches or bicycles. In fact, it is better to have everything integrated in a cohesive environment without having to load some redundant and bloated plugin. And it forces you to just get down to business and compose. I think a lot of this is just people collecting things and fetishizing their collections.

Ian Dorsch

My usual MO is to wait to purchase a library I'm interested in until we've gone through the initial backlash, the backlash to the backlash, and reached the first round of big developer sales. At that point, after reading pages and pages of grievances and bitter disagreements, I am usually pleasantly surprised when I actually fire up the lib.

doctoremmet

My usual MO is to wait to purchase a library I'm interested in until we've gone through the initial backlash, the backlash to the backlash, and reached the first round of big developer sales. At that point, after reading pages and pages of grievances and bitter disagreements, I am usually pleasantly surprised when I actually fire up the lib.
Strategy works. I guess that’s why I’m an 8Dio fan haha. Post of the day :laugh:

Faruh Al-Baghdadi

My usual MO is to wait to purchase a library I'm interested in until we've gone through the initial backlash, the backlash to the backlash, and reached the first round of big developer sales. At that point, after reading pages and pages of grievances and bitter disagreements, I am usually pleasantly surprised when I actually fire up the
People even built a statue in Siberia for those who buy libraries in the first week and via pre-sale orders.

DSC_1245_2.jpg

Groctave

Berlin Brass - A great pianissimo to mezzo-forte library despite, some inconcictencies, but why didn't you record fortissimo? It's a BRASS library, for sake!!! And you can't resell it... No more Orchestral Tools libraries for me.
Synchron Strings (the first one) - Even with the updates, it couldn't fit to my tastes. But you CAN resell VSL libraries and my Synchron Strings finally made somebody happy.

Reactions: IFM

Artemi

Berlin Brass - A great pianissimo to mezzo-forte library despite, some inconcictencies, but why didn't you record fortissimo? It's a BRASS library, for sake!!! And you can't resell it... No more Orchestral Tools libraries for me.
The new SINE version of the library will have a fortissimo layer, and you most likely will get this version for free sooo... yeah :thumbsup:

Casiquire

Synchron Strings (the first one) - Even with the updates, it couldn't fit to my tastes. But you CAN resell VSL libraries and my Synchron Strings finally made somebody happy.
I happen to adore Berlin Brass. First off, they've recorded an extra layer which we'll get soon enough. But second, in the meantime, just use marcato patches with legato on. It seems like an odd reason to put a whole company in the "never again" category

ProfoundSilence

I happen to adore Berlin Brass. First off, they've recorded an extra layer which we'll get soon enough. But second, in the meantime, just use marcato patches with legato on. It seems like an odd reason to put a whole company in the "never again" category

The closest to a "never again" I've got is maybe EW?

That never again will change when they realize every single one of their competitors also do things to but them.

Hendrixon

Senior New
dsc_1245_2-jpg.58958

Is it just me or does this odd fellow is knitting a DNA?

Top Bottom