What's new

Most Disappointing Library Purchase?

jtnyc

Spitfire Epic Brass. Thought the string version was ok (especially for the price) but the brass version has a couple of notes that are way out of tune in the decay. I have been in toch with support and although very friendly, there isn’t a fix (so that’s 4 months since reporting it). I get that it’s a very cheap taster, but to me it reflects poorly on the brand. If you compare that to say Audio Imperia Nucleus Lite, then Nucleus definitely has the upper hand there especially with the brass.
That brass has had tuning issues since it was released many years ago in Albion 1 (legacy). That library went through many updates over the years with no fix, so it's no surprise to me that it's still an issue.

Reactions: MjS

Casiquire

The cheaper libraries that I've bought in an attempt to get that 'budget alternative' have usually been the ones that disappointed me the most. I've started telling myself to just save for the better libraries since you do pay for what you get, I guess.
Can we just put this as a sticky right on the front page?! You can see in this thread that some people hate the most popular libraries and some people love the least popular ones, but the one piece of buying advice that seems near universal is this one right here

lettucehat

With the caveat that the most expensive ones are definitely not always the best. But yes there will be disappointment with a sub-300 string library (CSS on sale) unless it was Hollywood back during the fire sale.

SyMTiK

Christopher B.
With the caveat that the most expensive ones are definitely not always the best. But yes there will be disappointment with a sub-300 string library (CSS on sale) unless it was Hollywood back during the fire sale.
You found CSS disappointing?

Mike T

Can we just put this as a sticky right on the front page?! You can see in this thread that some people hate the most popular libraries and some people love the least popular ones, but the one piece of buying advice that seems near universal is this one right here
Yes. There are some more expensive things I'd like to have money back for, but I mostly actually regret the cheap silly stuff I thought I could get away with using instead of the real deal.

SyMTiK

Christopher B.
No! I’m saying that’s the threshold where you start getting comprehensive, not-disappointing libraries! And it’s possibly the best one, depending on what you need.
ahh gotcha! definitely agree with you, I think CSS is the one exception of libraries in that price range that is truly a top notch library. Anything cheaper tends to not have enough detail to really be that useful to me imo.

lettucehat

ahh gotcha! definitely agree with you, I think CSS is the one exception of libraries in that price range that is truly a top notch library. Anything cheaper tends to not have enough detail to really be that useful to me imo.
Or something major is missing/unfixable. CSS really turned things upside down with that price point. I think of Anthology and how it's mostly great (especially at $88 these days) but the shorts are weird sounding and stand out whenever you hear them compared to other libraries. Areia Lite is pretty incredible though, it just doesn't pretend to be comprehensive.

Tralen

thanks Michael, sent a request already, let's see if they allow me a refund or credit towards a different library...
I was very underwhelmed by the VSL concert guitar, years and years ago, but the customer service was perfect. They offered to refund or replace with another library, if I remember. In the end, I got the Bari Sax.

Rob

stale member
I was very underwhelmed by the VSL concert guitar, years and years ago, but the customer service was perfect. They offered to refund or replace with another library, if I remember. In the end, I got the Bari Sax.
That's right, they were very friendly to me too, allowed me to get the double bass instead

ControlCentral

Thanks for the info. It has been on my wishlist for ages, but comments like these have kept me from buying it. In theory it should be my cup of tea, but I guess I have read too many critical comments.
Same. Every time I'm tempted [to buy Phobos] I come back to Vi-C and read this thread.

Daniel James

A Nice Guy
Genuinely I was horribly disappointed with the Abbey Road library. Which I bought alongside everyone else. For someone like me who already has a lot of libraries, it just has no place. Such a wasted opportunity for something special in that room. But the articulations were just too basic and it all felt early 2000's midi. I bought for the brand name alone expecting it to live up to the name. It just didn't. Also been hearing that other developers have tried to record in those rooms but are brickwalled, due to 'loyalty' which I really don't like!

I'm also not a fan of the nickel and diming for extra instruments when it didn't feel like I got my money's worth from the base library.

-DJ

Last edited:
Top Bottom