What's new

Most Disappointing Library Purchase?

chocobitz825

strange… there are some things I liked about SF library ui's - like the round robin stack feature, but I can't see where you feel like there is more versatility with SF's ui vs CSS... maybe I misunderstood you - and you enjoy the sheer amount of articulations in some of their symphonic series?

I admit I kind of miss flautando, but being able to crossfade between 3 different kinds of bowing techniques in legato is unquestionably made SF obsolete to me. Although BS+ exp a and b isn't cheap - capsule has opened up a mountain of possibilities, even at it's steep resource cost. If there was another way to crossfade between other articulations - it would be awesome.
I think what I mean to say is, there are just moods that change with the projects and access to new libraries. Truth is they’re all great in different ways and it’s fun to find where they fit. CSSS is versatile and easy to use but sometimes doesn’t feel as full as I want it to. Spitfire sometimes doesn’t feel like it’s worth it’s price, but again these moods change when I crack open the manual and try something new. OT has always been my go to, but it’s vibrato is not as versatile as others. Nonetheless they all get used depending on where the fit. In that way it’s like having a bunch of different players for each project.

I won't be changing my opinion that 8Dio is a sham company that churns out shit products and even shittier customer service. I'm amazed at the blind loyalty for such a shyster company. They won't be getting my hard earned money ever again.

chocobitz825

I won't be changing my opinion that 8Dio is a sham company that churns out shit products and even shittier customer service. I'm amazed at the blind loyalty for such a shyster company. They won't be getting my hard earned money ever again.
Fair enough

So far, i really liked this forum, because it wasn't going the kvr-route (i.e. when hobbyists bash everything they either can't afford or understand).
And - without knowing you - i would be somehow glad if you wouldn't post such statements which will damage the reputation and value of this forum.

I have lots of 8dio libraries (as libraries from lots of other developers) and i think your assumptions are not only false but dangerous.
Some of them may have flaws (as have the libraries of almost every other developers...), but don't attack them if the library isn't doing the work for you. Since that is your part.
I would agree that criticizing a library and condemning a maker in whole is a different level. Customer service for me has been good and having collected a fair amount of 8dio products as well, I’ve had more satisfying experiences than not.

Robert_G

It really is just an expensive hobby for me
Im shocked at the 8dio hate here.
I agree, that in the music sampling world, 8dio is in their own little corner and plays by a different set of rules.

Some of their early stuff is certainly questionable, but Im not sure how anyone who has used their Century Series can say anything bad about those libraries. They are both fantastic well thought out libraries.

Reactions: EgM

ProfoundSilence

I don't think there is anyone who is blindly loyal to 8dio - it's simply that deal breakers for some aren't deal breakers for all.

century brass is pretty underrated, and honestly the older string libraries are still in use by some people, because despite it's faults - do some things very well.

Hasici

Im shocked at the 8dio hate here.
I don't necessary think it is a hate. For me I learned a lesson. Don't buy something because of well produced demos and well written copy.
If I was able to trial in advance the stuff I had purchased from 8dio for example I would not buy it afterwards! They know that, so this is a business model largely based on the sales pitch, not a test drive. Typical in this industry.
But because I can't test drive stuff before and there is no return policy, the only thing I literally have is to bitch about it when it doesn't meet the expectation. I had to make my money by selling my time and knowledge and that money did not returned anything useful in case of my 8dio purchases. Sending it to charity would be a better use.

Land of Missing Parts

flibbertigibbet
the only thing I literally have is to bitch about it when it doesn't meet the expectation.
You can help others by saying which specific libraries have issues, and what the issues are. Maybe post an audio example.

Not all 8Dio stuff is flawed; I feel pretty good about the epic perc and the Claire winds I've bought on flash sale. 8Dioboe and Adagio Violas are bumpy at times, but still useful if you can get them cheap on flash sale.

Even though you can't test drive sample libraries (except Best Service, maybe), you can spend some time searching VI Control, and hopefully benefit from other people's posts. Especially if they post the specifics, and maybe some audio examples. Musicians Helping Musicians. :cool:

Last edited:

pmountford

The problem as I see it is that so many people feel their reviews need to be shared. If I had of listened to so much of the negativity towards 8DIO on this forum I wouldn't have bought many of their libraries. As it is, I generally found that what I've purchased has a place in my workflow that sounds sufficiently different from most other developers. Sure, there are definitely a few bum libraries that I wished I'd not purchased but there are far more that I'm glad I do have.

Sibelius19

Music is just color and rhythm --Debussy
The problem as I see it is that so many people feel their reviews need to be shared. If I had of listened to so much of the negativity towards 8DIO on this forum I wouldn't have bought many of their libraries. As it is, I generally found that what I've purchased has a place in my workflow that sounds sufficiently different from most other developers. Sure, there are definitely a few bum libraries that I wished I'd not purchased but there are far more that I'm glad I do have.
Exactly my sentiments.

jbuhler

I like the reviews because it gives me a better sense of what to expect, especially when there is no general system in place to try the instruments out. Sometimes the reviews can be maddening and seem hyperbolic, often the reviewers seem to have an agenda. But it's rare that a critical point in a review does not identify a real problem, even if I find it manageable. AndI think it's good going in to know what sorts of limitations you are likely to encounter (because virtual instruments, even the best in class, still suffer from real limitations).

musicboyy

I honestly don't think I can pinpoint a library I've purchased that I'm completely disappointed in. While I definitely like some more than others, I always find something I can work with. In regards to 8DIO, I only have a handful of their libraries which I mostly purchased during flash deals...all in all, I do like them. I try to rely on walkthroughs instead of the demos but sometimes Troels just spends way too much time talking (very quickly) and praising the interface more than just showing the sounds. I appreciate his enthusiasm, but it comes across as the interface, code and ability to manipulate the sounds are the stars...not the sounds themselves.

Last edited:

ism

Its not that there isn't lots to love about 8dio libraries. Its that I have found I just can't trust the marketing. Hence the disappointment. Which isn't precisely the same thing as the libraries being bad.

Even when I have gone on to later ,and after much effort, been able to get good use out of an 8dio library, it's often only after a great deal of frustration involved in first realizing that it doesn't do well what I though it would do when I bought it.

And there is a particular vision in libraries like Claire and Adagio, that is unique and valuable. But I don't really think I adequately understood what it was when I bought it.

It is my ignorance of how to parse developer marketing? Well sure.

But that doesn't really ease the bitterness of the experience.

But in the absence of demos etc, the only way to get past my ignorance as a consumer is to

a) buy 8dio libraries and experience the suffering and seeming infidelity of the marketing, or

b) absorb all the critical opinions here. True, some of these opinions are tainted by bitterness, and so nor really property "critical" in so you eed to account for that. But in the absence of anything resembling a property critical form of sampling library reviewing (the adagios "reviews", for instance are absurdly uncritical, and for the most part as well be an extension of 8dio's marketing department) that's what we got.

Still, there is lots of positive things said about 8dio said here also, especially not that prices are coming down to where, so long as you now what you're buying, there's genuinely good value to be had.

On a positive note, really enjoying working with the 8dio english horn (having bought it, for for once, actually more or less understanding ahead of time what it was and wasn't going to do compared to, for instance, the spitfire Col Anglais).

arcy

Spitfire Studio Brass standard. Inconsistent articulations, especially with the horns. Different tone and volume between the articulations, trills bug. I wrote to the SF support just two times.

X-Bassist

Interestingly, I have never bought a library what was disappointing. There was always a reason why I bought all my libs .... .
To me an unused library is a disappointment, for surely we plunk down the money with the intention of using the library... unless you just hoard them. ;)

So, from that aspect, out of all the libraries you‘ve purchased, you’ve gotten use in a song from every one in some way? It is possible if you write a lot of music, but I don’t think I could ever make that claim. More than one had turned out to be less steller than advertised or had glitches that prevent me from using it effectively.

But if so you are the first I have known of, so congrats!

germancomponist

I usually buy a library when I'm looking for something special. I listen to the demos e.t.c. , Then I buy, or not. Sometimes a single, tiny little sound from a library is enough for me to buy the library. Of many libraries, I do not know the rest they still offer. :)

kitekrazy

To me an unused library is a disappointment, for surely we plunk down the money with the intention of using the library... unless you just hoard them. ;)

So, from that aspect, out of all the libraries you‘ve purchased, you’ve gotten use in a song from every one in some way? It is possible if you write a lot of music, but I don’t think I could ever make that claim. More than one had turned out to be less steller than advertised or had glitches that prevent me from using it effectively.

But if so you are the first I have known of, so congrats!
I think we do that and then being disappointed after a certain period we just don't use it anymore then the cycle starts again. I think most of us do the same thing with softsynths and mixing plugins.

Anyone ever force themselves to using something because they paid for it?

Top Bottom