What's new

Most Disappointing Library Purchase?

kitekrazy

It’s funny how associations go. There’s this burger chain up in Canada called Five Guys, and they make an ok burger but cram the brown bag full of fries, it’s their trademark. So when I saw your five dots (.....) guess what I thought of , lol

yes it’s been a long @#$king year,

cheers mates
I always thought they were called Five Guys because it took 5 guys to pay for a meal. My brother paid $13 for a cheese burger and fries.

Sibelius19

Music is just color and rhythm --Debussy
I always thought they were called Five Guys because it took 5 guys to pay for a meal. My brother paid $13 for a cheese burger and fries.
hahaha, yeah. Steak and Shake is nearby and much cheaper, so we do usually go for that instead. There was a little snippet of my life where I made decent money and we could afford it. Those days are gone...for now.
BK Whopper, no question.

Also five guys is way overhyped and overpriced. It doesn't help that I'm not big on fries either.
ah, I love that flame-broiled flavor.

kitekrazy

I make my own burgers. I just can't justify buying them unless it's the value menu from BK or MD. I do like the Whopper and Big Mac but only get those when they are on sale like 2/$5.

The only exception for me is Hopdoddy.

Maybe I should take my own advice from above and make my own Kontakt libraries and patches to all of my synths. Outside of orchestra libraries how many of us would be willing to taken time and effort to create our own stuff in Kontakt instead of using it as a sample player. I'm thinking of creating pads using some of the many vocal loops I have.

clisma

I make my own burgers. I just can't justify buying them unless it's the value menu from BK or MD. I do like the Whopper and Big Mac but only get those when they are on sale like 2/$5.

The only exception for me is Hopdoddy.

Maybe I should take my own advice from above and make my own Kontakt libraries and patches to all of my synths. Outside of orchestra libraries how many of us would be willing to taken time and effort to create our own stuff in Kontakt instead of using it as a sample player. I'm thinking of creating pads using some of the many vocal loops I have.
Do it. It’s a rewarding experience. Plus, you learn new stuff and that’s always a good thing.

spiderfingers

Back to the topic. My two big regrets are:

- 8dio Symphonic Shadows: Actually does sound good, but I am absolutely annoyed how similar each sample in a bank sound, so the overall amount of content is disappointingly small. I paid only $38, but even at this discount the library feels overpriced. To be fair, I got some really good stuff for little money from them as well.

- Spitfire BT Phobos: Does have some real badass content, but overall this "synth" is quite an unflexible sample playback engine (too much stuff in most sounds). I am also disappointed, that playback speed and tuning are connected which is a problem, if you want to tune a rhythmic loop (and a lot of them have very obvious tonal elements, you can even hear the tonal clashes in the walkthrough videos). And the whole polyconvolution thing isn't a big deal. I still hope that I will find a use for that, especially because I didn't get it at such a steep discount as the upper fella. Again, I also got some great upgrades from SF on the other hand.

In terms of hit and miss I think both companies have quite a huge range of usable and useless products. 8dio seems to be a more striking candidate because they have more products and those huge discounts.

kitekrazy

Back to the topic. My two big regrets are:

- 8dio Symphonic Shadows: Actually does sound good, but I am absolutely annoyed how similar each sample in a bank sound, so the overall amount of content is disappointingly small. I paid only $38, but even at this discount the library feels overpriced. To be fair, I got some really good stuff for little money from them as well.

- Spitfire BT Phobos: Does have some real badass content, but overall this "synth" is quite an unflexible sample playback engine (too much stuff in most sounds). I am also disappointed, that playback speed and tuning are connected which is a problem, if you want to tune a rhythmic loop (and a lot of them have very obvious tonal elements, you can even hear the tonal clashes in the walkthrough videos). And the whole polyconvolution thing isn't a big deal. I still hope that I will find a use for that, especially because I didn't get it at such a steep discount as the upper fella. Again, I also got some great upgrades from SF on the other hand.

In terms of hit and miss I think both companies have quite a huge range of usable and useless products. 8dio seems to be a more striking candidate because they have more products and those huge discounts.
If I were to start a new career I doubt it would be developing sample libraries. There are only so many ways to reinvent the wheel.

Hayden

My recent purchase of the very inexpensive 8dioboe ($8?) turned out to be less than great — the demos seem to far exceed the actual capacity of the VI.

However, does anyone know of a way to adjust those jagged connections between the 8dioboe’s notes? I seem to remember some ‘fixes’ that were posted — which would be good since the tone of the 8dioboe is quite good. It just isn’t really playable, out of the box.

Top Bottom