Most Disappointing Library Purchase?

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by tsk, Feb 9, 2018.

1. axb312

axb312 Senior Member

Jun 26, 2016
    The oboe can actually be made to sound very good and is worth way more than 8 USD. Try a little harder.

EgM, Mikro93, richardt4520 and 4 others like this.
  2. After buying the Joshua Bell Violin, it's easy to regret purchasing previous libraries that feature solo violin. :)

3. poetd

poetd Active Member

Sep 9, 2018
    I have others that do the job far better (stock Kontakt for a start).

Still should keep it around as a warning.

Inceptic and Wally Garten like this.
  4. Regretful purchases:
    8Dio Adagio Strings when they were first released, and much more expensive - More of a hindsight is 20/20 thing...

667 and Casiquire like this.
  5. Sibelius19

Sibelius19 Music is just color and rhythm --Debussy

Dec 12, 2015
    Michigan USA
  6. Quasar

Quasar Senior Member

Jun 26, 2012
    The key to using this is a low pass filter for maintaining the fat bottom end.

7. TigerTheFrog

TigerTheFrog I'm supposed to be working now.

Nov 18, 2016
    Brooklyn, NY
    8Dio Oboe. Deleted
    8Dio Emotive Grand Piano. Deleted
    $8. Deleted.

Sublime Wrenchenspiel worth much more than $16. Cost $8.

Me. Happy. Thank you 8Dio!

8. KallumS

KallumS Active Member

Jul 26, 2018
    Camden, London
    Orchestral String Runs. Not because they're bad, just I thought it would function like an ostinato builder. Guess I didn't do enough research.

For what it does though, it does very well!

Zoot_Rollo likes this.
  9. Wally Garten

Wally Garten Active Member

Apr 23, 2018
    Yeah -- I didn't love it, either. I'm sure, as somebody above says, that it can be made to sound good, but honestly, that's not where I want to spend my time and life energy. (Especially when I have, e.g., the Hephaestus Sounds oboe, which is also cheap and played well for me right out of the box.) Oh well. I learned how to install the SIPS scripts from Alex and Rob, so that was probably worth $8 right there!

Agreed -- that thing is pretty cool!

poetd likes this.
  10. Quasar

Quasar Senior Member

Jun 26, 2012
    I just bought the Wrenchenspiel based on your post and listening to a few seconds of the sounds. Thanks!

I passed on the oboe because the only reason I would have bought it was the $8 price, which isn't a good enough reason to buy anything, ever.

Zoot_Rollo and poetd like this.
  11. dzilizzi

dzilizzi I know nothing

Feb 27, 2017
    Somewhere near Los Angeles
    I was thinking about getting them. I don't need an ostinado builder - I have Sonokinetic's. But the runs builder looked useful.

Zoot_Rollo and whiskers like this.
  12. paul

paul New Member

Jan 22, 2010
    The most disappointing? .... "would have been" Spitfire - but then..... I didn't purchase. :)
    I'm currently very happy (having spent loads of money "sorry sounds like H.Enfield's character" with other libraries over the years).
    I am not usually one for knocking anybody in this very challenging industry - but when you experience a big "put down" from a "so called library" after working professionally for many years, it sticks in the craw a wee bit!
    I'm very glad I didn't invest. (However, you can spit where you like.....)

13. whiskers

whiskers Perpetual student

Sep 5, 2018
    US
    Probably 8dios Solo voices. Didn't realize how phrase based they were. My fault for not researching well enough. Just hard for me to use in a lot of contexts. Feels like you have to write to than rather than with them.

14. ghostnote

ghostnote Vincit qui se vincit.

Nov 3, 2011
    I wouldn't say that I've been dissapointed with any library I've bought. Mainly because I know what I need in my template and also do lots of research. However there are certain libraries which I grew out of, if this term makes any sense. Heavyocity beeing one of those libraries. Bought a lot of them, almost never used them. Maybe it's the loops.... Wait, yeah it's the loops...

Oh and there's one other library from Old West - excuse me, I mean East west - which I use only because of ONE patch. No it's not Voices of Passion.

Meetyhtan likes this.
  15. Land of Missing Parts

Land of Missing Parts No Time for Honky-Tonk

Jan 27, 2013
    Hogwarts
    I'm happy with 8dioboe for $8. The legato has issues, mostly at the lower end, but I like the tone and the rest of the articulations are okay. My opinion is that it's worth probably around $20-$25. If I paid more than $25, I'd be disappointed. I will be putting it to use.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    richardt4520 likes this.
  16. Leslie Sanford

Leslie Sanford Member

Oct 17, 2013
    Re: Cinestrings Solo. I actually like the bowed legato of violin 1 more than that of the Bell violin. I find it more playable. Having said that, as a general rule I don't get on with wet libraries very well. There's always something in the choice of how an articulation is handled in a wet environment that doesn't jive with me, being raised on dry sample libraries. :)

17. mouse

mouse Active Member

Oct 20, 2016
    They changed the EULA a few years ago I think

18. michelsimons

michelsimons Active Member

Jan 24, 2018
    Delft
    I can imagine this if phrase based is not your thing (I have to admit that I have moved somewhat away from phrase based myself in recent years), but I actually managed to put most of them to some good uses over the years without feeling that I had to write to them. With the help of some melodyning I managed to fit them in quite a couple of tunes.

whiskers likes this.
  19. Clawrence

Clawrence New Member

Jun 20, 2017
    Oh god......8Dio Anthology.....Full price....First big library I ever bought, thought it was my answer for string libraries!!!!! HAHAHA! Literally never use it.....

20. JeffvR

JeffvR Active Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Berlin Brass. I mean, it's not bad but I hoped it was the brass library to end all brass libraries. It isn't. Programming is inconsistent and I seriously don't get why you would sample p, mf and f for horn 1 and pp, mp and f for horn 2 (or something like that). A lot can get better with some decent programming but OT is on to their next products. I have to say I really like their other libraries I have: Ark 1, Time and Berlin Woodwinds.

Brendon Williams likes this.