1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Most Disappointing Library Purchase?

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by tsk, Feb 9, 2018.

1. procreative

procreative Senior Member

Mar 12, 2013
    United Kingdom
    I know when I first got HWS (before it dropped in price) Play was a nightmare on a Mac and I could not even get close to running all the instruments. Eventually I got a PC Slave and VEP and as well as Play updates improving memory handling got a table setup.

For me setting up a template with them was educational, there are so many articulations some of which I had not encountered before such as Martele and Ricochet. Then there are the many hidden tricks that unless you read the manual all the way through dont know eg:

1. Some instruments use the modwheel for Vibrato and Dynamics meaning lower dynamics use less vibrato.

2. Legatos have many options, attack, type of slur, vibrato, dynamics (its why they are so memory intensive).

One of the key facts even considering how old it is (2010), Sustains/Legato have 13 sample layers I think, 6 for Vibrato, 7 for Dynamics (compare that to many newer Kontakt libraries that often use only 2-3).

Initially I was very disappointed at how it ran. It took a lot of system tweaking to get it running well.

Yes it has some inconsistencies and the Ambient/Far mics are almost pointless as the room it is recorded in almost has none (my main gripe). But its still a beast of a library.

DarkestShadow and PeterKorcek like this.
  2. pinki

pinki Senior Member

May 6, 2013
    Imagine if other devs adopted the same generous attitude.

Mr Mindcrime and Casiquire like this.
  3. DarkestShadow

DarkestShadow Senior Member

Thanks for the overview.
    Definitely gonna read the manual. I generally just force the dynamics on my modwheel irrespective of how it is scripted (some midi transorming in Cubase). I only have a modwheel so I cannot really have it set to anything else. But it seems like with more controllers I could get a lot more out of it.
    I also generally the the very lightest pacthes which I assume dont have a lot of those functions... I'm gonna look into the full patches when I get a stronger machine.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  4. procreative

procreative Senior Member

Mar 12, 2013
    United Kingdom
    The manual details which patches uses which way of controlling vibrato/dynamics as some use a combination and others have them separate. Also worth noting for some reason they use CC11 for dynamics on some patches.

The more hidden feature on Sustains/Legato is velocity. Obviously like many they use the lightest one for slides/portamento. But the attacks are also controlled on some patches.

Its a big manual though!

DarkestShadow likes this.
  5. DarkestShadow

DarkestShadow Senior Member

And a looot of patches... A bit excessive that library, haha.

6. 98bpm

98bpm Member

Sep 10, 2017
    USA
    Exactly, and I'd suggest Sonivox learn from this. I'd take the refund.

7. X-Bassist

X-Bassist Senior Member

Sep 26, 2015
    8Dio, Sonivox, and East West would probably be out of business if this were the case.... not that there’s anything wrong with that. ;)

Also I think many here who enjoy the East West Hollywood Orch are forgetting the highly promised (repeatedly) yet ghost of an update called Play Pro. If I could just set my own keyswitches and choose a custom setup with just the articulations I need, it would be a whole other ballgame. I picked up Diamond on sale thinking “when Play Pro comes out ‘soon’ like Doug claims, this will be one hell of a library”. I’m glad Play 5 improved it’s performance (perhaps undone by Play 6? I haven’t dared to upgrade) but it is still the library from hell. As long as you don’t mind using many midi tracks for one violin line it’s not bad, but it makes using CSS look like a piece of cake! ;)

8. Hans Josef

Hans Josef Senior Member

Jun 4, 2007
    I don't understand where is the problem.

X-Bassist, gregh and omiroad like this.
  9. 98bpm

98bpm Member

Sep 10, 2017
    USA
    As for 8dio and East West, I'm OK with them personally. Haven't had any issues with products or customer service so far. East West products are good if you really study the manual and put in work. As for Sonivox, I've never had such a bad and costly experience. I'll never buy from them again! So not to bog this thread, you can read about my encounter here:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/sonivox...eply_button&reply[id]=18305508#reply_18305508

10. bigisland

bigisland New Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Riff Generation by In Session Audio.

Interesting concept but with a very plastic and uninspiring sound.

11. SirkusPi

SirkusPi Active Member

Dec 14, 2015
    8dio's Misfits. I have need of all of these sounds (which is why I bought it, obviously :grin:). But even on a pretty big sale, I can't really say it was worth it to me; I may be using it "wrong," but I have a very hard time getting anything useful out of the instruments, except the mouth harp, which really is pretty darn cool and, to me, usable.

PaulBrimstone likes this.
  12. Dandezebra

Dandezebra Sorry for the inconvenience

Jan 7, 2018
    I just read the whole thread and don't remember seeing Soundiron mentioned yet so props to them. I love the libraries I have from them!

Mine is probably Eclipse by Wide Blue. Maybe I need more time with it...

nathantboler likes this.
  13. I'm the other end of the spectrum. Never use keyswitches in Hollywood Orchestra, and never will (useless to me), and have been a fan of Play since it's inception; Play 6 is wonderful.

14. Perry

Perry Active Member

Aug 19, 2016
    Yes I feel your pain.8Dio Blendstrument Hybrid Pulses .I have been trying to find a Rhythmic Pulsing Library.This didn't make it for me a bunch of rhythmic junk.The closest thing I have is Signal.Every Cinematic Library out there has booms, hits,drones.How many more do we need?.I've been searching for more freebies.They are more valuable. if there junk you delete them.
    So my favorite Library is a tie Albion One.Sounds Pro.I have 3 Garritan Library's GP5, Instant,Personal Orchestra.They to me have more dynamics and sound more realistic.Without EQ and treating.Lastly I use Diamond Symphony Orc >Kirk Hunter.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    SillyMidOn and TheKRock like this.
  15. HAve you checked out Aurora by Fluffy Audio? I got it as part of a $99 bundle last year, great library for pulses.

16. Perry

Perry Active Member

Aug 19, 2016
    Thanks I'll check it out.

17. VgsA

VgsA Senior Member

May 23, 2014
    Superior Drummer 2. And not because of the product itself, but Toontrack's customer service in my case:

After W10 Creator's Update, my SD2 stopped working (it crashes any DAW as soon as I load it up). They weren't able to figure out what was causing the error. Crashdumps, logs, tests involving relocating files and whatnot, updates, months of going back and forth trying everything, nothing fixed it. No refund option since it's been a long while since I got my copy, and apparently there's nothing they can do on their side.

I had clients on hold and I had to replace the drums mid-project, really tense move as I didn't know if they would like the forced change (that even Toontrack suggested). So yeah, most dissapointing library purchase ever for me.

BTW, I opened up a thread a month ago or so when there was finally nothing to do in case something experienced this. If you did and you read this, please reach out with whatever you did!

Voider likes this.
  18. Voider

Voider Came from the future

Sep 25, 2016
    Germany
    Kirkhunter Diamond Orchestra, definitely. Absolutely horrible sound to me. Even the Kontakt 5 factory content with very dated VSL samples is better. That $499 pricetag on it (I fortunately purchased it in a sale) is probably the biggest insult in the history of VSTs straight into customers faces. I know this library is liked by a few here, I will never understand how. It's like we have two different products from different worlds.

19. Vovique

Vovique Senior Member

Aug 11, 2013
    Heavyocoty Aeon Rhythmic is the answer, nothing but pulsez - electronic, fat and filthy. It's a few years old library, but the sounds are still cutting edge

20. Fab

Fab Senior Member

Feb 18, 2016
    all of them

calebfaith and gregh like this.