What's new

Most Disappointing Library Purchase?

I got M during the sale on VSTBuzz. I admit I was very happy with it at the time. But when N came out soon after, with all the hype, it changed my attitude to M and I felt I was missing out somehow. So you could say I was disappointed, but with a few month lag in my disappointment. I don't use M anymore, but at the same time, I'm not ready to pay the full price for N. I'm going to wait until it goes on sale.

giphy.gif

Propably Adagietto. It's unusable. There are some strong resonances which makes it's impossible to play certain harmonies and chords. I mailed about this to them and they took a. attitude and basically said "it's not for you then, deal with it". I've never bought anything from 8dio since.

Adagietto has a LOT of problems (it should have never been released as-is) but with some tweaks, I am making it work on a song for my upcoming album. Like you, I have not bought anything from 8Dio since. I have little faith in their quality control, and their forbiddance of license transfers doesn't help.

I got M during the sale on VSTBuzz.

I bought it on sale, too, but it wasn't VSTBuzz or Audio Plugin Deals. It was Small Fish Audio. (They were just starting out back then.)

They recently changed their EULA to allow production music. (See here.) You might finally be able to use it!

Oh, thats nice. There still some confusing terms, like using it in a "music library"?? If you, like with any other sample library, use the samples in a musical context without isolating the instruments in stems - what has the user or publisher of the music to do with anything? I suspect it's a misunderstanding of responsibilities, engraved in an supposedly document of law.

While it does seem nice that they have changed their wording, I still find it hard to trust anyone with such confusing statements. What if you end up in an argument with those guys? It just seems unprofessional to me.

At this point my least favorite purchases is Cinewinds. At least with Cinestrings I have made use out of the harmonics and short patches but with Cinewinds everything sounds harsh or overdone. There are just such better options out there worth saving up a bit more cash for. Spitfire winds are a night and day difference. The non-tack version of the Cinesamples Abbey Road Upright is my favorite piano though definitely give that library a look if you want a classic upright sound that is versatile.

Soniccouture Hammersmith I absolutely never liked. It doesn't sound characterful or full enough and compared to my other 6 piano libraries it is by far my least favorite. I don't like a clean traditional piano sound usually, though. I love some other stuff by Soniccouture like the electro-acoustic library or broken wurli.

Spitfire Evos are great at times but there is no question that owning nearly all of them is unnecessary. Spitfire makes the most incredible content I doubt I need to shed light on which libraries are good... but just to be fair to them the winds, chamber strings, and harp are my absolute favorite libraries. Really worth it to save up for these. The evos, swarms, bh library, sacconi strings, etc. are all not quite as ridiculously useful but are still among my favorites. Orchestral swarm is a bit out of tune in places to be used in certain contexts. Every SF library has one or two issues with tuning and that would be my least favorite part of em...

Soniccouture Glassworks isn't a bad library but it definitely wasn't for me. I guess I thought those kinds of sounds could be useful in many contexts...

Embertone friedlander violin and blakus cello are so amazingly playable but I never loved the dry sound. Sacconi has worked better for me and I really like having the extra articulations. That being said I miss the vibrato control from Embertone.

Basically the only company where I can genuinely always find a use for their products is Spitfire, but since I have so much of their content there is just an absurd amount I will never use. It feels like a waste for sure but when it works it really works.

When cleaning my desk, I discovered buried underneath a pile of papers an uninstalled DVD copy of Sample Logic Rumble that I picked up several years ago on deep discount from a retailer that was liquidating its DVD stock. I don't regret buying it (for real, I'll install it one of these days); it's just weird to have an unused library taking up physical space on my desk instead of taking up abstract virtual space on my hard drive.

When cleaning my desk, I discovered buried underneath a pile of papers an uninstalled DVD copy of Sample Logic Rumble that I picked up several years ago on deep discount from a retailer that was liquidating its DVD stock. I don't regret buying it (for real, I'll install it one of these days); it's just weird to have an unused library taking up physical space on my desk instead of taking up abstract virtual space on my hard drive.

I got that for around $10. The rumor was the developer wasn't going to honor licenses because they didn't like how it was discounted. Now that you brought this up I may think if running them through some effects to create something unusual.

For me it was EWQL Symphonic Choirs, even bothered to buy the VOTA exp in which the males sound like a phased chewing gum orchestra....
It seemed to sound so nice in that old studio back in giga format...

I think there is a difference between buying a library newly released that never quite cuts it vs something like EWQL Symphonic Choirs which is what 10 years old. Back then it would have been fairly innovative when compared with say a Roland XV or Korg Triton rack...

I think there is a difference between buying a library newly released that never quite cuts it vs something like EWQL Symphonic Choirs which is what 10 years old. Back then it would have been fairly innovative when compared with say a Roland XV or Korg Triton rack...

Oh, of course! But the old giga version didn't phase that bad, haha :)

Cinewinds and 8DIO Adagietto. I have Cinewinds Pro and Core and I have been mostly unhappy with them. For years they were useless for anything requiring legato speed and agility, but the latest update assisted that. BWW is much more usable for me.

Adagietto has some great sounds, but the timing is very sloppy. The round robins in the legato are timed such that when I adjust the notes for timing, the next play back is off. It seemed like a moving target that I could never hit. I have Berlin Strings and Cinematic Strings 2. I doubt I will ever touch Adagietto again.

Someone start a thread stating the BEST library purchase.

For me that would be Hollywood Strings. Most people who have a problem with HS never put the effort forth in learning how to use it.

Sorry, but dozens of high paid film composers agree with me (look it up).

Read the manual thoroughly and apply what you've learned, then come back and tell me if it still sucks.

Top Bottom