What's new

More ram = less cpu?

Google ASRock Rack choose workstation, then scroll down to C236 WSi Xeon v6.

Think you’ll like it.

Google Travla for best Mini ITX Chassis.
Get a dual Slave chassis to connec5 to a laptop.
3 x PCs on the move.
Fits in a back pack for impressing chicks at the park.

I looked at the ASRock racksbefore. All the e3s with 64gb seem to be micro atx, which I guess would be small enough (Asus alphas nice micro atx with 64gb and good CPU) but I really am aiming super small. ASRock has a mini ITX with the x299 architecture... Expensive but I guess that's what it takes.

I was thinking) to build my own chassis with some passive cooling elementsbuilt it.

They have 32GB DIMMs.
Once the fake DRAM shortage is over in 2018 competition will return.
Hell, AMD & Intel are partners now.
Anything’s possible.

(broken link removed)

But could those 32GB DIMMs fit into that NUC?

Meaning you could have e.g.

64gb ram

in a tiny 5x5 NUC? In that case, I'll wait another half year for it.

But could those 32GB DIMMs fit into that NUC?

Meaning you could have e.g.

64gb ram

in a tiny 5x5 NUC? In that case, I'll wait another half year for it.
Time's up phryq.
What did you end up doing?
As a side, I'd love to hear any stories people have of using NUCs as slaves.

There are other 'websites' if want to hear about about that sort of thing ...... ;)
BeneficialDopeyKrill-size_restricted.gif

No. Any plugins that use real time processing (such as FX processing) rely on CPU not ram.
Everything uses ram though, so that's not really true either. Whether it's loading plugin code or Kontakt scripts, loading plugin graphics images, etc... Perfect example is Kontakt. Each instance you add eats a little bit more RAM... It won't give you increased performance per se; that is until you start running out of memory. Even then, any plugins you use for mixing also rely on RAM. Although not nearly as much as Kontakt, having a surplus of memory just makes life easier...

And like disk space, although you theoretically have space on a disk, the reality is if you run your disks filled up and you run them hard, you increase the likelihood of early disk failure... Having a surplus of memory costs a little on the front end, but not nearly as much as the irritation of a crashy session.

Last edited:
Top Bottom