What's new

Montreal international film scoring competition

ojczeo

Decembre 10th, 2020 - Beginning of the competition

The Specialized Diploma Program in Film Music at the Université du Québec à Montréal and the Rendez-vous du cinéma québécois are proud to announce the sixth edition of the Montreal International Film Music Composition Competition. Three short films are proposed to composers of all parts of the world to inspire their creativity.

Multiple awards (see below) shall be awarded to the composer of the best score for each of the following films: Souvenirs de Roumanie, Vapeur et charbon et Jane, as well as to all finalists of the competition, thanks to our amazing sponsors at https://www.acustica-audio.com/store/en (Acustica Audio), UQAM, UQAT and Arturia.

The music by the finalists in each of the categories will be diffused during a special event on line this year.

Concours international de composition de musique de film de Montréal

According to Mathieu Lavoie, the competition’s director, UQAM professor and compositeur at Vibe Avenue: « The four first editions of the competition were an amazing success! To this day, nearly 1200 submissions from composers of two dozen countries have been received. This confirms that Montreal is a key player on the international scene of the movie industry.”

Stages of the Competition

• December 10th, 2020: Competition opens. Three short films are available online on the website of the Montreal International Film Music Composition Competition.
  • Ferbruary 22nd 2021, 11:59 PM (EST): Deadline for composers to submit their entries. Composers may submit up to three entries in the competition (one piece per film) if they so desire.
  • March 15th 2021: Finalists announced.
  • beginning of april : Winners announced. On line event

Eligibility

The contest is open to any composer of any age and is worldwide. There are no registration fees. Past winners are not eligible for the competition. It is possible to participate up to three times to the competition by sumbitting music for each of the three films.

The movies

We are proud that all three films proposed for this competition have been directed by students for Université du Québec à Montréal (UQAM) and Université du Québec en Abitibi-Témiscamingue (UQAT).

How does one register?
How does one download the movies? The link directs to the site where the same test is shown, linking to the same page. The videos below don't play, and don't have any links to be viewed/downloaded....

you have to register on their site in order to download the movies, I was able to download all three.

Thank you Dewdman42 for pointing me the right direction, otherwise I wouldn't had found anything...

Useful links for this competition:
Useful information and instructions
Register form

P.S. The site is indeed very messy. I understand that Canada has two official languages, but even when you chose English on the top right, still half of it is in French. Just look at the registration form. I'm required to fill my "Name" (ok so far), and then my "Prénom"..?. Google translate tells me that "Prénom" means "first name"... soo I'm supposed to fill in my name twice? Is "name" perhaps in french also and means "surname"? I have no idea...

Edit:
Sorry for asking even more questions, but the Q&A states that we can use whatever instrumentation we like for movies "Rouge" and "Jamais Vu", and string quartet for "Les Voisins". These names appear on the sites banner, as well in the submission form. However, (after registration) I can download 3 movies, titled "Souvenirs de la Roumanie", "Vapeur at charbon" and "Jane" (these are the names that appear in the "Introduction page" as well....). Soooo...??

Last edited:
Canada is a bilingual country at the level of the federal government and some of the provincial governments, but that does not mean that every organisation in the country is bilingual. This competition is being held in Québec, a predominantly French speaking province, by a university where French is the language of operation and instruction.

The English translation was clearly done by someone whose first language is French, but the English is perfectly understandable. Among other things, the translation says specifically that one must register for the competition to get access to the films: https://musiquedefilm.uqam.ca/en/concours-de-musique/comment-participer

If one can't manage grade school French, or even figure out how to navigate the English translation, maybe it isn't the French speaking university that has a problem.

Last edited:
Just to be clear, my comment wasn't meant to be insulting to the organization. I appreciate the fact that they even organize these kinds of competitions and give fellow composers a chance to be heard and reward them.
I was just sharing my confusion about the process, so maybe I'll get a better understanding of it. English is not my first language either, so maybe I wasn't able to express my confusion in the best way and may came off as irritated and insulting. I apologize if this was the case. This wasn't my intention.

If you have any insights about the movies (different names given on the submission form (and FAQs page) than the ones that are offered for download) I would greatly appreciate it.

I am pretty sure that the FAQ hasn’t been updated. The new movies seem to be Jane, Memories of Romania, and Steam and Coal. When I checked out the submission form that is filled out when you are done and have the YouTube link ready to submit, there is a drop down box listing those three films and not the three mentioned in the faq. I was trying to find out the winners from the previous year (that would confirm which films were correct) but I was not successful in finding a site. If there are any restrictions as to orchestration, I’ll take my chances as I am only in these contests to learn.

I am pretty sure that the FAQ hasn’t been updated. The new movies seem to be Jane, Memories of Romania, and Steam and Coal. When I checked out the submission form that is filled out when you are done and have the YouTube link ready to submit, there is a drop down box listing those three films and not the three mentioned in the faq. I was trying to find out the winners from the previous year (that would confirm which films were correct) but I was not successful in finding a site. If there are any restrictions as to orchestration, I’ll take my chances as I am only in these contests to learn.
I contacted them and they sent me the link to the correct (updated for 2020-2021 competition) form via email. It seems they have not updated it on the website yet, so here it goes in case you are ready to submit:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1IL4TcS-0rTw9muelJw5ckixAfvFOiLm8Ch8ZKckd8X8

I just submitted my music for the Scorerelief competition and I think the film was beautiful. I'm not that inspired by these tree movies. So I'll pass this one.

I also entered the scorerelief competition and enjoyed that film. I am going to do these three as they are a learning experience for me. I found these films much tougher to get a handle on then the scorerelief film.
Coal and Steam seemed to be a domestic abuse type story to me. I had just bought the Zebra2 soft synth and I was able to use that. This is the only one I have finished as of yet.
Memories of Romania has a music credit - October Song by a Romanian Jazz Pianist. It is on YouTube and is a wonderful performance. I don’t have the chops (or desire) to duplicate that concept even though I feel it is right for the film. I am doing a more patchwork thing but I am not loving it. It is practice for me so I don’t have to worry too much about it.
Jane was a real head scratcher until I found the song “Jane” on YouTube. The lyrics kind of go along with the story in the film. This film looks like another synth workout.

Sorry for the long post - Just saying these films might be tougher to score than the score relief was. Good luck to everyone in this competition.

Decembre 10th, 2020 - Beginning of the competition

The Specialized Diploma Program in Film Music at the Université du Québec à Montréal and the Rendez-vous du cinéma québécois are proud to announce the sixth edition of the Montreal International Film Music Composition Competition. Three short films are proposed to composers of all parts of the world to inspire their creativity.

Multiple awards (see below) shall be awarded to the composer of the best score for each of the following films: Souvenirs de Roumanie, Vapeur et charbon et Jane, as well as to all finalists of the competition, thanks to our amazing sponsors at https://www.acustica-audio.com/store/en (Acustica Audio), UQAM, UQAT and Arturia.

The music by the finalists in each of the categories will be diffused during a special event on line this year.

Concours international de composition de musique de film de Montréal

According to Mathieu Lavoie, the competition’s director, UQAM professor and compositeur at Vibe Avenue: « The four first editions of the competition were an amazing success! To this day, nearly 1200 submissions from composers of two dozen countries have been received. This confirms that Montreal is a key player on the international scene of the movie industry.”

Stages of the Competition

• December 10th, 2020: Competition opens. Three short films are available online on the website of the Montreal International Film Music Composition Competition.
  • Ferbruary 22nd 2021, 11:59 PM (EST): Deadline for composers to submit their entries. Composers may submit up to three entries in the competition (one piece per film) if they so desire.
  • March 15th 2021: Finalists announced.
  • beginning of april : Winners announced. On line event

Eligibility

The contest is open to any composer of any age and is worldwide. There are no registration fees. Past winners are not eligible for the competition. It is possible to participate up to three times to the competition by sumbitting music for each of the three films.

The movies

We are proud that all three films proposed for this competition have been directed by students for Université du Québec à Montréal (UQAM) and Université du Québec en Abitibi-Témiscamingue (UQAT).
Hi
You write deadline is February 22nd, but I think the write February 12th on the web-site?
Do you have some information about the deadline, that is different?

Hi
You write deadline is February 22nd, but I think the write February 12th on the web-site?
Do you have some information about the deadline, that is different?
To be honest I don't know. It's still 22nd on their website - I've just made copy-paste from there.

Top Bottom