What's new

Monogram CC just arrived

Although, now I think about it, you may not get the full reach if the fader extends beyond the curved lip at the ends of the channels...

IMG_5487.jpg
Hmm, yeah it looks like it would be close. That fader is 24mm, so you’d need around 12mm of clearance from the middle of that 4mm metal part. If you have a ruler lying around would be amazing if you could check it! 😄

Hmm, yeah it looks like it would be close. That fader is 24mm, so you’d need around 12mm of clearance from the middle of that 4mm metal part. If you have a ruler lying around would be amazing if you could check it! 😄
I make it 11mm from the edge of the curved bit to the middle of the stalk, so it's close but probably ok. I'm going to order some anyway because I'm kind of curious myself! I'll let you know. :)

Edit: Ordered - will arrive Monday.

Last edited:
Is anybody 'travelling' with their Traveler kit yet?
Ironically, the box is rather large and not what I'd call "travel-friendly". Would be cool to see some sort of go-bag designed for the kit.

So you think some faders like these would go on instead? I like to use 1 finger instead of pinch type faders it has currently.
Amazon product ASIN B07W78QN27
I just got the delivery. They do indeed fit very well and are solid, although they sit quite high (I should have realized that, but it does makes the clearance around the curved lip a non-issue!)

They feel quite good actually! :)

IMG_5499.jpg

But the comment from @BatMeckley is absolutely true - there is no issue using the standard faders with your finger tips. The resistance is spot on and you don't need to pinch them at all.

For whatever it’s worth I’ve had absolutely no problem moving the faders with one finger so far.

Last edited:
So for owners of this, what are the main benefits given the high price point (over something like Nakedboards or the Nanokontrol2 or the Mixface)? I have the Mixface but don't use it (faders are too stiff). Nakedboard MC-8 is my go to because of the longer fader throw, perfect resistance, and I did end up using more than 3 faders for certain instruments.

So for owners of this, what are the main benefits given the high price point (over something like Nakedboards or the Nanokontrol2 or the Mixface)? I have the Mixface but don't use it (faders are too stiff). Nakedboard MC-8 is my go to because of the longer fader throw, perfect resistance, and I did end up using more than 3 faders for certain instruments.
I liked the simplicity of it
Plus, it looks really cool with the LED's :)

Useful if, like me, you flip between multiple apps like Logic, Cubase, Audition, RX8, Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop, Final Cut, Motion - each of which can have its own set of profiles which will autoswitch along with the app.

Maybe you can do that with the others you mentioned? I haven't used those. I bought this one because it was the successor to the cool-looking Palette Gear stuff that I'd had on my wishlist for a long time.

I found that it was just a much more elegant solution, and I use the buttons and knobs far more than I thought I would. Honestly when you figure how much it gets used throughout the day, it’s probably far and away the least “cost per use” item I have in my studio outside of my speakers.
And the ability to easily program otherwise awkward two handed pro tools shortcuts in to one button or knob has already saved me HOURS of time on this project. Plus it looks bitchin on the desk.

I found that it was just a much more elegant solution, and I use the buttons and knobs far more than I thought I would. Honestly when you figure how much it gets used throughout the day, it’s probably far and away the least “cost per use” item I have in my studio outside of my speakers.
And the ability to easily program otherwise awkward two handed pro tools shortcuts in to one button or knob has already saved me HOURS of time on this project. Plus it looks bitchin on the desk.
Did you set up an empty profile with all LED's turned off? I did as I did not want them to be on all day

I'm thinking of going for this because I just need CC11, 1 and 21 for playing. The MixFace handles SpitFire mic levels and keyswitches and main volume (CC7) and Transport. I want to use the FaderPort 8 but MIDI Learn is a fuss and a HUGE footprint for 3 faders, plus no transport in MIDI CC mode. I'm thinking Monogram Traveler on my SL88 for the big 3, and the MixFace up on the desk for all other stuff. That's ironic, eh?

ANYWAY, the icing on the cake is the Photoshop work I do. Yay Monogram for that!

I am between Faderport and this but I think I will finally buy Faderport and have some extra functionality.

I am between Faderport and this but I think I will finally buy Faderport and have some extra functionality.
If PreSonus would update the firmware to change CC values on the faders and controls and make transport still work, it would be best in class. We've posted several requests on their site, we'll see! I'm not getting rid of mine and it's still great for mixing.

I'm thinking of going for this because I just need CC11, 1 and 21 for playing. The MixFace handles SpitFire mic levels and keyswitches and main volume (CC7) and Transport. I want to use the FaderPort 8 but MIDI Learn is a fuss and a HUGE footprint for 3 faders, plus no transport in MIDI CC mode. I'm thinking Monogram Traveler on my SL88 for the big 3, and the MixFace up on the desk for all other stuff. That's ironic, eh?

ANYWAY, the icing on the cake is the Photoshop work I do. Yay Monogram for that!
How are you planning on using it in Photoshop? I feel these things are sometimes more trouble than they are worth compared to key commands. The other thing I don’t like about the Monogram design for CC control is they use pinch-style fader caps instead of console fader caps, which are easier to use with multiple simultaneous fingers.

How are you planning on using it in Photoshop? I feel these things are sometimes more trouble than they are worth compared to key commands. The other thing I don’t like about the Monogram design for CC control is they use pinch-style fader caps instead of console fader caps, which are easier to use with multiple simultaneous fingers.
I process all RAW files with Adobe Camera RAW and having to manipulate the sliders for Exposure, Contrast, Shadows, Black, White and Dehaze would be SO much easier with the two pads of three knobs. I hit those adjustments on every image and I and DONE with missing the slider block with the mouse, which I usually grab then immediately look at the image waiting to see a change, only to find out I'm scrubbing on nothing. The three sliders would control Temp, Tint and something else like Sharpening. Then I'd love the big knob to adjust optical distortion. I shoot a lot of real estate images at 16mm on a full frame and the barrel distortion up close (like shooting the bathroom) is huge. Oh, the two switches, perfect to launch Unsharp Mask and the Macro I have to fire up Nik Efex (now owned by DX0). In FACT, I'm going to use funds for my side photography business to buy it. Then it'll happen to be there for MIDI work. I paid the 7 grand to build my tower PC out of my pocket and I use it to process business photos so it's a wash. Ba Da Bing, there you go. Oooo, thank you for asking that question, it made me think HOW and now I really want that solution! ;)

I'll probably keep using the FaderPort 8 for CC1, 11 and 21 (Spitfire Vibrato) because the 100mm faders are so nice... just wish I could change CC numbers. I heard there's a remapping doojiggy in Cubase, maybe I can "reprogram" CC numbers that way. Need to research that.

Is the Orbitor worth getting as well as the traveller .. or not bother
Seems Spitfire use one in theri vids but at $149 extra plus VAT etc etc does it make it worth the purchase

Top Bottom