1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monitors for New Studio (Trailer Music)

Discussion in 'GEAR Talk Forum' started by kunst91, Jul 10, 2018.

1. JohnG

JohnG Senior Member

Nov 13, 2007
    California
    My engineer uses them; he worked for some time at RCP and also engineered for the late Johann Johannsson (Sicario, Arrival, etc.). So yes, they work for film and trailer music.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    Brueland likes this.
  2. OP
    OP
    kunst91

kunst91 Senior Member

Feb 12, 2015
    Ah cool that’s great to hear!

JohnG likes this.
  3. lumcas

lumcas Senior Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Buy just one Neumann KH 310 and never look back (unless you place it right behind you).

4. I don't think it matters what type of music you're mixing, does it? Is it film music with just piano and strings? Epic orchestral stuff? I think it's a moot point....unless are you just concerned about bottom end? In that case, just add a good sub to your current setup.

5. OP
    OP
    kunst91

kunst91 Senior Member

Feb 12, 2015
    This studio will be primarily for trailer music so I am concerned about bottom end. I will likely end up with a sub, although I usually work in 5.1 and don’t use the LFE for bass management, so using a sub this way is foreign territory for me.

6. OP
    OP
    kunst91

kunst91 Senior Member

Feb 12, 2015
    They really are amazing. I can just use it for the right channel, that’s where I put all the good stuff anyway :)

lumcas likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    kunst91

kunst91 Senior Member

Feb 12, 2015
    Wow the Result6’s are really cool. PMC miiiiight just get me to punch above my budget.

8. kurtvanzo

kurtvanzo Capt. Zorro

RSPE in Universal City will let you try them out in your studio free for 14 days, and they have a great 6 month guarantee...
    https://www.rspeaudio.com/PMC-Loudspeakers-result6-p/pmc-result6.htm

Thanks to your thread I’m considering it myself ;)

9. Gerhard Westphalen

Gerhard Westphalen Scoring Mixer

My comment wasn't about film music specifically. When playing any music you can easily max them out and then they go red and you're hitting the limiter.

kunst91 likes this.
  10. InLight-Tone

InLight-Tone Senior Member

Dec 31, 2013
    Also check out the Presonus R80's for a more economical choice.

In the end, I don't think monitors matter all that much as long as you listen to well produced music on ANY set and get well aquainted to the response, then you know what to shoot for with your own tracks. You could produce in headphones if you know them intimately.

A sub is mandatory to me, without bottom end to pay attention to, music is lifeless, half is missing...

Wolfie2112 likes this.
  11. jcrosby

jcrosby Senior Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Boston MA
    I wouldn't sleep on the Sceptres either. I've had mine for a couple years now and don't see myself replacing them anytime soon... They also have onboard DSP, (Fulcrum Acoustic...) And as much as I'm not one to echo marketing hype, I can't disagree. The stereo image really is spectacular. Front to back depth, height, and a sweet spot that extends almost behind your head at times. I really have never heard a stereo image like theirs in that price range. (Not to mention I was skeptical considering they're Presonus...)

The only thing I'd say is that, (the s8's at least), are capable of some pretty deep low end. You'll get the most mileage out of them by putting them in a well-treated room...

12. SBK

SBK Senior Member

Aug 24, 2016
    Stick with Adam a7x and get a nice analog compressor! lol

13. AllanH

AllanH Senior Member

Oct 11, 2015
    Central Coast California
    Thank you for the link to RSPE. I'm also looking for better monitors and that looks like an ideal place to visit in the greater LA area.