What's new

Modular Synth - daw and scoring hardware integration?

Saw this flick last night and enjoyed it way more than I thought I would. I wish that the score was louder bc it's a cool one. Eager to hear whatever score rctec is talking about. I really enjoy the sound of raw synth sounds in a loud theatre...almost as much as orch sometimes.

How popular are effects like reverb, delay, fuzz, etc in modular systems these days? I'm thinking of starting there maybe...

Halls of Vahalla for Tip Top ZDSP is a nice place to start there.

I like the Eventide H9 allot, and Strymon is great.
Lots of this in Reaktor 6 as well if your so obliged.

Check out the Moog Mother-32 as good starting point.

And I love the Kilpatrick Phenol as well.

Saw this flick last night and enjoyed it way more than I thought I would. I wish that the score was louder bc it's a cool one. Eager to hear whatever score rctec is talking about. I really enjoy the sound of raw synth sounds in a loud theatre...almost as much as orch sometimes.

How popular are effects like reverb, delay, fuzz, etc in modular systems these days? I'm thinking of starting there maybe...

Last edited:
Killer! Yes, I have both the H9 and the Stymon Timeline. Making guitar loops live with that is pretty fun.

I saw the first Valhalla video. This one is making me think that there's no way I could live without this module.

We are just finishing a nearly all modular score. Not some indie, but a big, commercial film. It's been such a great, but time consuming experience. It's very different than thinking about the normal palette of strings, woods, brass, perc. It's a far more 'painterly' and expressionistic experience. And the best part is sort of the worst: you are quite literally building the instrument for each note. And you can't safe the pre-sets, so you're always starting from scratch. We are about three months past the original schedule, but we have a super supportive director and music department at the film-studio.
People used to do synth scores to save money. Trust me, that time is gone (actually, "Bladerunner" and "Midnight Express" where already taking electronic scores seriously). A good electronic score is much more expensive than a few days on a scoring stage with a standard orchestral line-up...
There are truly an amazing amount of modules out there and the quality is getting really good. Not just sonically, but solid builds. This is absolutely the time for adventureous synthesis. There have never been as many manufacturers building original and inspiring modules. Of course, the same goes for plug-ins and software synth, but there is something glorious about the home-made quality of modular synthesis for me. And it's important to remember that some decent analog outboard is part of the deal. You need really good a to d's good pre-amps, different compressors and eq's to really take advantage of your modules - so include that in your budgets and setup...

One of the recent scores I've liked has been Chappie which you did with Steve Mazzaro and Andrew Kawczynski. If you don't mind me asking, what was the balance of synth to organic elements in the score.

Top Bottom