• Yes

• No

• I didn't listen

Results are only viewable after voting.

Caladrius

Composer
Hey!

Would love to see some feedback on this:
I'll add a poll cause it's easier for people who don't want to comment. Comments would be appreciated, though.

Polkasound

I like aspects of the composition such as the instrumental textures and chords, but when it comes to instrumentals, nothing fatigues my ears faster than droning pads, nondescript/buried melodies, and repeating patterns. There was nothing in this song to hook me and reel me in.

(But don't necessarily put too much stock in my opinion. When I saw "Emotional Vocal Track" I thought I was going to hear something like "Go Rest High on That Mountain" by Vince Gill.)

OP
Caladrius

Caladrius

Composer
Hey, thank you for your comment!

Yeah, I guess the title is debatable at best, but it's also quite hard to describe. I may just rephrase it.

markleake

Recovering sale addict
I'm with Polkasound, it's OK, but nothing stands out. The ostinatos are pretty basic. The piano is buried in reverb. There's no real lead instrument. There's no real melody. These all add up to something that becomes fatiguing.

OP
Caladrius

Caladrius

Composer
I'm with Polkasound, it's OK, but nothing stands out. The ostinatos are pretty basic. The piano is buried in reverb. There's no real lead instrument. There's no real melody. These all add up to something that becomes fatiguing.
Thank you very much for your feedback, appreciate it!

Cathbad

Druid
I mostly agree with the above comments. There's definitely potential in there. Nice harmonies, and I think there is a motif there that could be reworked into a strong theme.

Using piano and pads is often the lazy option. It's quicker and easier than writing five parts for strings and drawing in all the automation and expression, plus the wind parts, percussion etc etc. Much easier to plonk it in using piano and then essentially do the same with a pad sound. This approach can work with a lot more care in creating the textures however (Clannad). In my opinion, piano was a particularly wrong step in your piece. Did you consider uilleann pipes instead perhaps?

OP
Caladrius

Caladrius

Composer
I mostly agree with the above comments. There's definitely potential in there. Nice harmonies, and I think there is a motif there that could be reworked into a strong theme.

Using piano and pads is often the lazy option. It's quicker and easier than writing five parts for strings and drawing in all the automation and expression, plus the wind parts, percussion etc etc. Much easier to plonk it in using piano and then essentially do the same with a pad sound. This approach can work with a lot more care in creating the textures however (Clannad). In my opinion, piano was a particularly wrong step in your piece. Did you consider uilleann pipes instead perhaps?

Thank you for your Feedback!

To make one thing clear: there's no pad, drone, synth, etc. in there. I'd love to have a pad like this, because I actually subjectively enjoy the sound - that's why it's in there. It's purely orchestral instruments and apart from the Piano, Drum and Cymbal there's nothing with crazy reverbs. There's no crazy effects on anything either. The sound is shaped by automation and different formations within the chords. The chords kind of repeat themselves (not exactly, but if you see a chord as a pool of notes, the pools the instruments mostly choose from repeat themselves), but the isolated instruments do not. If the sound is anything to strive for is debatable - you don't enjoy it, which is fair - but there is definitely nothing lazy in there.
Nonetheless, appreciate the feedback!

Cathbad

Druid
To make one thing clear: there's no pad, drone, synth, etc. in there... The sound is shaped by automation and different formations within the chords.

I don't know what you mean by different formations within the chords, but there's no audible automation of your string sound. From 0:19 onwards for example, all the notes are the same volume, no variation in tone or vibrato, apart from a barely there crescendo around 1:10. You might have selected orchestral instrument sounds, but orchestral instrumentalists don't play like that. A pad does play like that and that's why it sounds like a pad.

You might like the sound - it's a pleasant sound - but without any movement in terms of dynamics or other parameters it's very static and doesn't lead the listener forward through the phrase. This is what Polkasound was referring to about fatiguing the ear.

It's a lot of work to go back through the MIDI, think about the various expression curves a real player would do, and then draw them in, while catering to the dynamic layers and other behaviour of your library. But it's really worth it.

Top Bottom