What's new

Mockups of music that isn't public domain.

MartinH.

I don't actually know what Alex Roe is doing, because I'm not familiar with whomever's music to which he is paying homage. I just assumed he is a fan of a certain type of music and/or specific band, and is creating original but similar-sounding music and similar-looking artwork. A musician can freely imitate the instrumentation and musical style of another band as long as they're not infringing on that band's copyrights or trademarks.
In that case, it sounds to me like he is definitely toeing the line. If he were mimicking a musical style, an artwork style, and a song titling style, he'd be fine. But if he's allegedly copying the same fonts and design layouts as the other band, and it's obvious that his chosen song names are more than coincidental, and his pairing of songs, titles, and artwork are more than coincidental, and his songs are almost carbon copies of the band's originals, then he could be walking on a very slippery slope.

The things he does that I'm interested in are all inspired by videogames not other bands. Here is an example.

The original game:

upload_2019-3-30_21-47-2.png

And here are two cover artworks from Alex for his music inspired by the game:

upload_2019-3-30_21-47-44.png

upload_2019-3-30_21-48-11.png

I think I'm just so frustrated, because he's writing the kind of music that I would wanna write myself, is better at it than I am, AND he is reaching degrees of success with it that I never would be able to reach (even if I was better at the music part, which I'll likely never be) because I wouldn't dare pushing my luck the same way he does. I simply couldn't sleep with opening myself up to the risk of getting sued like that (unless he has some inofficial but legally binding agreements that none of us have knowledge of, but I'd be surprised).

Another example where one band copied another band is this:
Original:
upload_2019-3-30_21-59-30.png
(Band = Rammstein; Album = Völkerball)

Copy:
upload_2019-3-30_22-0-49.png
(Band = Völkerball; Album = Weichen + Zunder)

Apparently Rammstein wasn't OK with this, and now they're called "Heldmaschine" (found the same cover with their new name).

Afaik they started as a cover band but then they started making their own songs and they nailed the style well enough that there are comments under e.g. this video on youtube where people ask if this is actually Rammstein:

I kinda like both. As far as I'm concerned it's totally fair game to copy the style and feel of something else, and it would be to the detriment of everyone if this was even attempted to be prevented by laws. But I do think that trademark law has its place, the markets would likely be a nightmare of hard to distinguish knock-off products otherwise.

Polkasound

The main thing that bothers me is that he printed the name of the copyrighted song directly on his own product. I don't know if the way he did it definitively violates anything, but it's a gutsy move either way. I could easily see the creators of Bloodborne sending Alex a C&D or seeking an injunction if they felt it necessary.

The other thing that bothers me is the use of the same exact font. The makers of the game don't own the font, of course, so anyone can use it, but the use of that particular font is a distinct element of the game's design. Alex copied that design element and used it in conjunction with other "inspired" elements of the game. Another gutsy move.

My personal opinion is that if Alex were a little more experienced in the business aspect of music, he probably wouldn't be toeing the line so closely.

Mason

No matter if it's classical or not, all copyrighted music needs some kind of license to use, either through ASCAP, publisher or the composer.

DerGeist

A bit off topic,
My Tron (1982) End Credits that I did with a Modal Electronics 002 synthesizer was challenged, and also my Celestial Soda Pop video, also done with the 002 synth. Another strange one is my Gayane Ballet Suite (Adagio) by Aram Khachaturian. I'm not sure whey that was has a CW claim against it for music when I used 8dio's strings and my hardware synths. I've given up trying to understand and am just gratefull that it's only happened a few times. It sure would be nice though to talk to someone at YT as to know exactly what not to do in the future when it comes to covers.
I made a shaky gopro video of me barely competently playing Chopin's Prelude #4. I received a takedown notice from youtube indicating I had violated the copyright of a professional pianist's <name withheld> recording of the same piece. I challenged the takedown citing Chopin's death 170 years ago. Then I forgot about it and months later (this is a hobby) logged into find out that my video was now simply challenged which I believe means the challenger can monetize my video (big money in the amateur chopin video market).

Through clever googling I found the source of the challenge. I sent them a quick e-mail saying I was flattered that they thought anyone would confuse the two of our recordings and suggesting that they probably don't want to be associated with my version in any way. I suspect the challenge was done by third party company based on an algorithm (hey my Chopin is good enough to fool a computer! -- take that various piano teachers!) and that the artist never even knew.

The video is probably still challenged. I have no idea how YT works in these matters.

quantum7

I'm 50 now....it's all over!
A bit off topic,

I made a shaky gopro video of me barely competently playing Chopin's Prelude #4. I received a takedown notice from youtube indicating I had violated the copyright of a professional pianist's <name withheld> recording of the same piece. I challenged the takedown citing Chopin's death 170 years ago. Then I forgot about it and months later (this is a hobby) logged into find out that my video was now simply challenged which I believe means the challenger can monetize my video (big money in the amateur chopin video market).

Through clever googling I found the source of the challenge. I sent them a quick e-mail saying I was flattered that they thought anyone would confuse the two of our recordings and suggesting that they probably don't want to be associated with my version in any way. I suspect the challenge was done by third party company based on an algorithm (hey my Chopin is good enough to fool a computer! -- take that various piano teachers!) and that the artist never even knew.

The video is probably still challenged. I have no idea how YT works in these matters.
Wow! Very interesting how this could be challenged. I have had my stuff challenged when I recreated it obviously too close the original myself. I've decided now that I'm always going to change the tempo slightly....and perhaps even the key, as to not have the YT algorithms think that my version is the original artists...or anyone else's version come to think of it. Again though, if your version SUCKS, you most likely don't have anything to worry about, but if you have a bit of talent and do your absolute best to challenge yourself in recreated something with 99% accuracy.....WATCH OUT!!! :eek::laugh:

quantum7

I'm 50 now....it's all over!
I did a recreation of the 60's synth hit, Popcorn. I even made the recording sound old with record hiss and all. The CW owner thought that I was posting their recording of it. I had to prove to them that it was done with a Moog One synth and Cubase. D'oh! :eek:

Top Bottom