What's new

Missing articulation id for some notes in Logic Pro X

proxima

I'm having a strange issue: with one of my keyboards (Kawai MP11), when I record a bunch of notes, a very small percentage will lack an articulation id in the midi event viewer. My articulation id switches are set to permanent. By using a completely empty track, I can see that I'm not getting any rogue midi data sent, I think. But when I do the same exercise on another keyboard, I don't have this issue.

The thing is, I'm not even sure what in principle could set the articulation id to blank ("-"). The only odd thing I can see is that in real time, some of the offending notes show up as their raw number (e.g. Num = 69 instead of A5), but as soon as I stop recording, the proper note value is in the event list.

The fact that only one of two keyboards does this makes me worried this is a hardware issue rather than a Logic issue. For what it's worth, I tried both the USB-midi interface and the midi out port into my audio interface. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Bump with some more info. The event list (with View -> Articulation checked) looks like this, after I mash the keys on my piano a bit.

Screen Shot 2020-02-11 at 9.27.26 PM.png

Steps to reproduce:

1.) Create an empty project with a software instrument track.
2.) Load an articulation set (seems to be anything).
3.) Record many notes quickly
4.) View the recording with the event list, and View -> Articulation checked.

In real time, I can see some spurious note off events listed. But after I stop recording, the notes all look fine, but the occasional note (less than 1%) is missing an articulation.

My Kawai MP11 does this, but my Akai MPK249 does not. It's possible my Kawai is sending bad data when lots of notes are played (I first discovered this accidentally while playing around with very fast spicato), but I'd appreciate anyone else replicating this on any hardware. But I really don't know what kind of malformed midi data would clear out just the articulation id.

Top Bottom