Mike Verta MasterClasses 40% discount

dzilizzi

The code is coronahysteria

NomoreTP might be better. :rofl: Though I'll take any excuse to buy his classes on sale. :)

pawelmorytko

Is there any must buy classes for orchestral music? Was thinking of picking up either Orchestration 1, Secret Weapons or Theminator

DivingInSpace

Picked up All that jazz and considering Picking up a few more. I already have y
The mod squad and counterpoint 1, any other favorites?

Saxer

Are there any new masterclasses from the last year or so? The last one I remember was the brass class.

davidson

He really needs something on his site to show which masterclasses you already own once you're logged in, or at least a sorting filter.

Montisquirrel

Is there any must buy classes for orchestral music? Was thinking of picking up either Orchestration 1, Secret Weapons or Theminator
No one knows what your knowledge is, so how to answer your question? So my answer is that they are all a must buy. (Maybe Composition 1 is a good starting point, or check out his free classes on YouTube.)

Are there any new masterclasses from the last year or so? The last one I remember was the brass class.
If I remember correct, the last class is "So 80's"

He really needs something on his site to show which masterclasses you already own once you're logged in, or at least a sorting filter.
Login and check "orders", very easy.

Montisquirrel

No, it's not. If you have 20 previous orders, you have to click into each one to cross reference and check what you already own.
Ok, I really don't know what to answer to your "problem".

Anyway, I guess I go with "Chord Voicing" this time, I need to do some progress in this area.

ism

I hate to do this, for I really do like Mike and his classes.

But it needs to be called out that he subtly, yet very seriously crosses a line in using the discount code "coronahysteria".

Here be brings his hard right politics - most recently cornoavirus-denial - into his work as a composer and teacher. On his twitter feed he's free to make the politics more explicit:

And check out the comments and you'll see how, at best, he's fuelling the anti-science 'this is a lefty hoax' conspiracy theories.

Sure it's only a discount code. And you can argue that it's not so much yelling "fire" in crowed theatre, as starting murmurings of a fire in an environment where a lot of other are yelling "fire" much more loudly. But the effect is the same. Buy this kind of water carrying for it's underlying political agenda is going to have the effect of reducing the effectiveness of efforts to 'flatten the curve', and even a small boost to the exponential spread of a plague can harm a very large number of people. Including a lot of the people here who's livelihoods are burning.

From today's WP:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...bc5e46-6872-11ea-b313-df458622c2cc_story.html

"Virus deniers vow to continue on with their daily activities with little adjustment, convinced that the unprecedented reaction to the virus is nothing more than a plot by the media or liberals out to get Trump. The Pew Research Center released a poll Wednesday that found that 62 percent of adults say the media is exaggerating the risk of the virus."

So I really hate to do this. And I have no wish to start a political debate. But however subtly, this literally is an example of coronavirus-denial being circulated on vi-c. So I just think this needs to be called out.

I also think there's a certain cynicism in a sale that a) takes advantage of the pandemic to both make money b) leverages the newly isolated circumstance of most of us created by the pandemic (when a new Move Verta video might be a very welcome thing), while c) subtly spreading coronavirus-denial politics at the same time.

Last edited:

Nils Neumann

I have tons of respect for Mike, I bought a ton of his classes. But making such a statment at this time is utterly uniformed and dangerous.

There are thousands of people dying with thousands to come in Italy right now, and Mike is trying to make a point with canceled family vacations?

d.healey

Music Monkey
Other than the word "nonsense", I don't see anything particularly wrong with that tweet, all the things listed are actually happening. I don't have a twitter account so I can't read the followup comments.

OP
N

newman

Apologies as my intention was not to offend or upset anyone by posting a deal.

I thought these classes would be a good opportunity for housebound aspiring musicians.

DivingInSpace

Apologies as my intention was not to offend or upset anyone by posting a deal.

I thought these classes would be a good opportunity for housebound aspiring musicians.
Honestly, they are and there is no reason for you to apologize for posting the deal, as it is great. Wether people don't wanna buy it because of Mike's insensitive twitter posts, and/or the code is up to them.

renegade

A question to owners of these masterclasses. I have Comp 1, 2 and 4, counterpoint, theminator, orchestration 1 and 2

My favorite (or favorite moment) is "Orchestration 2" - The part where he is first talking, then showing in his template how it works/sounds, experimenting, discussing and trying different ideas, playing it/recording it so it is clear what effect it has. Making music. For example, he mentions doubling cello figure with harp, and that's just something I never would have thought of, and that gave me a lot of new ideas too. I get (by far) most out of "real world" examples, hearing and seeing how it works...that includes, of course, listening to orchestral music (with "analytical ears"), I do that a lot too. But seeing and hearing how ideas are composed, build up from idea to actually music is really great.

I'll like more of that. Which classes has that element?

My background: I play the piano, mostly jazz, I have composed most of my life, but almost never for pure classical orchestra (mostly electronic music). So I'm interested in some tricks and tips for ochestration colours, how to "think orchestral composing".

So...any ideas? :)

I have my eye on:
Secret Weapons
Kickstarters
Here's Johnny
Orchestration 3 - presets
Template balancing
Rythm and perc