What's new

Midnight Grand by Fracture Sounds - Available Now

Midnight Grand 1.1 update now available!
Existing users have been sent an email with the new files. New customers will receive v1.1 automatically.

The update includes the following:
  • Continuous pedal noise bug fix
  • Ability to route atmosphere layers to separate outputs (click the layer name to reveal a drop down menu)
  • Optional sample set with heavier denoising.

Existing users have been sent an email with the new files. New customers will receive v1.1 automatically.

• Ability to route atmosphere layers to separate outputs (click the layer name to reveal a drop down menu)
Wow, fast and attentive. Thank you, Will/Fracture.

I just picked this up! It is absolutely marvelous! I love how it sounds and the playability is superb! Never heard of fracture sounds before and have enough piano libraries for a lifetime but I couldn't resist. Now I am eyeing the woodchester...

Any preliminary/general preferences b/w the Woodchester and the Midnight among folks with both?

Could you please make a new demo with the heavier denoised samples ? Please...
I really love the tone of the piano, it's absolutely wonderful, but there is so much noise... At first I thought there was an extra white noise/bitcrushed dirty layer until I saw the Patch Walkthrough video... :/

Last edited:
This is a really minor observation and certainly not worth a separate release, but maybe something to consider when you're bored one evening looking for easy optimization work. :)

Whereas the room tone doesn't consume any voices when the volume is set to 0, currently pedal and key releases still use voices even while at 0.

Again, hardly worth bothering about, but thought I'd mention it.

Could you please make a new demo with the heavier denoised samples ? Please...
I really love the tone of the piano, it's absolutely wonderful, but there is so much noise... At first I thought there was an extra white noise/bitcrushed dirty layer until I saw the Patch Walkthrough video... :/
If you're talking about the note attacks, this is an inherent characteristic of the cotton hitting the strings.

The extra denoising addresses some hiss/room-tone that builds up when playing lots of low-velocity notes with the sustain pedal down, and boosting the overall volume. For most use cases, this isn't noticeable (which is why it doesn't come across on the walkthrough video), but for people who want to use the piano in more creative ways (e.g. playing very softly and cranking the volume or adding a lot of compression) the noise build up can get in the way.

For comparison, here are two examples using the 'Alt' patch (which was reported to have more noise build up), playing soft sustained notes.
Original lightly denoised samples

Heavily denoised samples

Now that we have multi outputs, don't push the Shivers and Eclipse layer through kiloHearts Stereo and Exponential Audio R2 (Guitar Wash preset). Don't do it. It's my secret weapon now so let's keep it that way. :rolleyes:

I'm having this pop up every time I load -

"ERROR: could not load sample (file seems to be corrupted)

FSMidnightPiano_KeyRel_28.ncw

Continue loading?"

Any ideas?

What did you use to extract the rar file? Have you compared a checksum of the file?

Mac:
Open Terminal (/Applications/Utilities) and type
md5 folderpath/FSMidnightPiano_KeyRel_28.ncw

You could type md5 and then drag the file from your Samples folder into Terminal and it will type the entire file path for you. Hit Enter.

Windows:
Open Command Prompt and type
CertUtil -hashfile folderpath/FSMidnightPiano_KeyRel_28.ncw MD5

You could type the first part before you drag and drop the sample file, then finish with " MD5"

Mac and Windows:
The answer returned should be
a253a3c05521b06a2fa4cb867c1e4a5a for original version and
2ed3677ffb79f40c60b1178321ec07e8 for Extra DN.
If you get something else, then the file is corrupted. Extract the rar again or re-download.

What did you use to extract the rar file? Have you compared a checksum of the file?

Mac:
Open Terminal (/Applications/Utilities) and type
md5 folderpath/FSMidnightPiano_KeyRel_28.ncw

You could type md5 and then drag the file from your Samples folder into Terminal and it will type the entire file path for you. Hit Enter.

Windows:
Open Command Prompt and type
CertUtil -hashfile folderpath/FSMidnightPiano_KeyRel_28.ncw MD5

You could type the first part before you drag and drop the sample file, then finish with " MD5"

Mac and Windows:
The answer returned should be
a253a3c05521b06a2fa4cb867c1e4a5a for original version and
2ed3677ffb79f40c60b1178321ec07e8 for Extra DN.
If you get something else, then the file is corrupted. Extract the rar again or re-download.
Thanks for that. I used Unarchiver on Mac. Will try your tip...although Terminal terrifies me

If you're talking about the note attacks, this is an inherent characteristic of the cotton hitting the strings.

The extra denoising addresses some hiss/room-tone that builds up when playing lots of low-velocity notes with the sustain pedal down, and boosting the overall volume. For most use cases, this isn't noticeable (which is why it doesn't come across on the walkthrough video), but for people who want to use the piano in more creative ways (e.g. playing very softly and cranking the volume or adding a lot of compression) the noise build up can get in the way.

For comparison, here are two examples using the 'Alt' patch (which was reported to have more noise build up), playing soft sustained notes.
Original lightly denoised samples

Heavily denoised samples

Thank you so much !! The difference is very, very obvious in the end of the notes, I love the clean version ! ^^

Yes, no problem about the note attacks, the thing is that with every element combined (I mean those weird noisy attacks + this heavy background noise), I really thought there was a dirty lo-fi layer attached, which appeared as a very weird choice.

Now that I hear the clean version, the piano sounds very modern to me. :)

Continue loading?"

Any ideas?
If re-downloading/re-extracting doesn't work, send an email to support[at]fracturesounds.com and Luke will send you an alternate download tomorrow. Sometimes Fastspring messes things up.

Last edited:

Continue loading?"

Any ideas?

For me I had to download using an app called "Egetter." I had errors when downloading straight from the browser.

Top Bottom