What's new

MIDI vs AUX for composing/mixing.

tav.one

Life is Good
TL;DR - Aux vs MIDI, which is better with VEP routing in Logic Pro?
–––––
I’m working in Logic X with VEP 6 & mostly Kontakt libraries on the PC Slave.

In VEP I’m using 1 instance per 1 library instrument family (SCS Ensembles, SCS Vl1, SCS Vla, Albion ONE, Mural Vl1….)

Multiple instances of Kontakt are loaded in each instance (I heavily use the disable feature of VEP6) and each instance has 1 articulation (1 articulation per track is the way I compose atm)

I’m looking at ~200 track template, with time it will increase (I still have to buy my brass, woodwinds & tuned perc. libraries).

Now, on Logic side I have 2 options:
  1. Routing tracks to Multi-timbral instrument having 16 MIDI channels each & creating corresponding Aux channels depending on my mixing needs.
  2. Using Aux tracks itself to send MIDI as well as receive audio.
I came up with a few Pros & Cons on going with either option but am still confused about which way to go so that I don’t have to regret at later stage, as most of you have been through this a long time ago and have years of experience doing this, I hope you can guide a beginner like me & maybe add to this pros/cons list.

Aux

Pros

● Compose, arrange, automate, mix all in one track (this is a biggie)
● Less & easy office work (naming, arranging, icons, channel color, etc) while creating or updating the template.

Cons
● 255 Limit
● Can’t arm multiple channels for recording together.
● Can’t use Logic Remote for composing features (This is one of my main MIDI input devices)
● No MIDI-fx on individual track

MIDI

Pros
● Can have 255 x 16 = 4080 MIDI tracks
● Logic Remote recognizes it as an instrument track.

Cons
● Can't mute, solo, change levels, add effects, etc. of an individual track without creating a corresponding aux.
● No Midi-fx here either.

Last edited:
I use both. Midi when composing, aux for mixing. I rarely solo tracks, always use regions solo. Hide the aux when you don't need it.

I use both. Midi when composing, aux for mixing. I rarely solo tracks, always use regions solo. Hide the aux when you don't need it.

I think 10 years of 'one track for everything' is the reason I'm feeling a little scared using different tracks for different jobs.
I'm starting to feel its scary just in my head, I'll try the hybrid approach, thanks.

TL;DR - Aux vs MIDI, which is better with VEP routing in Logic Pro?
–––––
I’m working in Logic X with VEP 6 & mostly Kontakt libraries on the PC Slave.

In VEP I’m using 1 instance per 1 library instrument family (SCS Ensembles, SCS Vl1, SCS Vla, Albion ONE, Mural Vl1….)

Multiple instances of Kontakt are loaded in each instance (I heavily use the disable feature of VEP6) and each instance has 1 articulation (1 articulation per track is the way I compose atm)

I’m looking at ~200 track template, with time it will increase (I still have to buy my brass, woodwinds & tuned perc. libraries).

Unless your rig is underpowered, this is sure not the way I help people set up Logic Pro/VE Pro. But I am not the workflow police.

Unless your rig is underpowered, this is sure not the way I help people set up Logic Pro/VE Pro. But I am not the workflow police.

iMac is indeed very under-powered, PC Slave is borrowed. I'm surely very interested to get your help/services in setting my template in coming months, but right now not in that position, just need a basic template ready for a few months so experimenting and trying to learn ad much as possible.

Top Bottom