What's new

MIDI Output Transformer in Cubase

borisb2

Is there a way to transform MIDI CC11 values to CC1 on a given track/part in Cubase?

The reason I'm asking, Hollywood Strings have their dynamics on CC11, rather than CC1... pretty annoying, I know. So ideally I'd like to swap CC1 and CC11, but not as an insert for incoming notes (transformer) but after the recording. In other words: In Cubase I see and can tweak (as with all the other tracks) CC1 in my key editor, but sent to the strings will be CC11 (and vice versa) .. is that possible?

Well it's annoying if you use cc1 for dynamics... me I have always used cc11 for that (it's even called expression) and cc1 (modulation) for vibrato. Anyway, if I understand, you'd want to be able to see and manipulate cc1 in the track but have the instrument assigned to the track read it as cc11... not sure it can be done. Why not work directly on cc11, if I may ask?

There is almost no way of transforming recorded midi data from a Cubase track going to the instrument, regardless of how your VSTis are hosted (VEpro or inside Cubase). The only way is to use a multiscript in Kontakt, that transforms midi to your liking. That is why I am not keen on developers making their own player, as none of them showed us they will make their player as user customizable as Kontakt.
Alternatively, you could use a VST wrapper with midi transforming capabilities (the plugin version of plague could do that) to host every VSTi inside and transform the midI. But who would like running something that complicated? I have tried something like that for another reason and it lead to lots of crashes, so I dropped the idea.

Maybe I am misreading something, but isn't this exactly what you would use the Transformer midi effect for?

If you just make sure the effect is not record-enabled, it will only transform outgoing midi from the track to the instrument. So you can record CC1 and manipulate it to your heart's content, and the instrument will magically receive it as CC11. I use several transformers on every Hollywood Strings long articulation to make controller behavior consistent with my other libraries. Works fine and is completely transparent.

@scherzo , are you still talking about the transformer in MIDI inserts? I thought thats only for incoming MIDI. I didnt find an option to not record its output. Do you have a screengrab how you set it up?

Sure. Here's what I do... hopefully the image will work:

cubase_transformers.png

Notice in the inspector on the left hand, the recording button next to the insert is off. This way it will only alter outgoing midi, but not record the transformations to the track.

My sort of default controller setup is CC1 for dynamic crossfading, CC11 as an additional volume control and CC3 for vibrato. No particular reason for that, it's just what Berlin Strings happened to default to and I got in the habit of setting everything else up to match it. To get Hollywood Strings to respond basically the same way, I have three transformers (the order matters) that change the following:

CC11 -> CC7
CC1 -> CC11
CC3 -> CC1

I've included one of the transformer patches in the screenshot, but it's pretty straightforward. Just substitute whatever CCs you want to change.

The end result is I can record/draw, for example, CC1 the way I do with any of my libraries; it will still show up as CC1 in the lanes, but HS will receive it as CC11.

Does that make sense, or am I misunderstanding what you're trying to do?

yes that makes sense .. thanks for that.

It works for me doing CC1 -> CC11 with 1 instance of the transformer
but if I add a second one doing the reverse (CC11 -> CC1) it gets mixed up .. guess thats not working this way. workaround would be to assign CC1 (vibrato control) to something else

EDIT: no, doesnt work.. tried CC1 -> CC11 (that does work of course) ..but adding a second transformer doing CC11 -> CC2 doesnt work .. whats your settings for the second transformer?

You need to put the CC11 > CC2 first. Otherwise the output of the first transformer is CC11, which then gets transformed to CC2.

Works perfect. Thanks.

But I guess that rules out swapping CC1 <> CC11? .. which is fine, just curious.

EDIT: well, I guess I could route 11 to anything, 1 to 11 and then that anything back to 1 in a third transformer.. but I guess I leave it at that.. thanks everybody!

Last edited:
Top Bottom