MIDI Control Surface - MCU Pro, Behringer X-Touch, BCF2000, ect.

Discussion in 'GEAR Talk Forum' started by Sean Beeson, Dec 2, 2015.

1. Gerhard Westphalen

Gerhard Westphalen Scoring Mixer

What are you using it as? If it's in the Mackie emulation then I don't think so. If you're in Cubase and running it as a generic remote you can turn it off from the generic remote editing page (I think the setting is under "flags"?). If it's just for CC then it shouldn't be sending anything out to it.

2. marclawsonmusic

marclawsonmusic Senior Member

Mar 16, 2012
    Florida
    Good question, Gerhard. I just want to use it for CC automation, not mixing. I will be using it with Logic.

Thanks,
    Marc

3. milesito

milesito Senior Member

Jun 19, 2013
    Can we assign w cc channel number to the faders? Also does anyone think the x touch is better or at least the same as the bcf?

4. geoffreyvernon

geoffreyvernon Member

Dec 14, 2013
    For the price and the options you have the BCF2000 is hard to beat honestly. I use one and have used one for a while now and it's never let me down. The usability, and control I have with it is amazing. The faders are a little loud but I looked past that right away because of what I was able to do with it for the price. I will however be upgrading to the X-Touch very soon. So I'd say go with one of those and you'll be very happy!

5. chimuelo

chimuelo Star Of Stage & Screen

May 14, 2007
    Between 120-150bpm
    You can disable the motorized function. I did that years ago.
    Reminded me of the Yamaha DMP7 I used as a stage mixer years ago, had the first automated faders.
    Big pain in the main as I often had to do manual over rides, which double paged as FX sends.
    But yes you can disable them.
    I don't like the USB MIDI but used hardware MIDI and the BCF 2000 acts like a kick ass MIDI Filter/Patch Bay, pluds adds CC# automation.

Really great piece of kit.
    I have mine around as a spare these days but I know I can always count on it.

owenave and marclawsonmusic like this.
  6. TintoL

TintoL Active Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Toronto
    I don't know if this helps.
    But, the Nektar panorama line and impact line have relative "soft faders". When you move a fader, the value will not be changed in the daw until both values are equal. Thus you get no jumpiness in your values, plus, you get no distracting noises of faders moving all the time, plus is way cheaper.

7. Smikes77

Smikes77 My Avatar looks just like me

Oct 13, 2014
    Brighton, UK
    Can you assign the faders to control midi cc? If so, do the faders follow the midi cc info, and as someone has commented... is it distracting?

8. milesito

milesito Senior Member

Jun 19, 2013
    Just got the bcf2000 to replace my korg nano kontrol. I wanted something slightly more high end than the behringer but didn't find anything as this is still a gap in the market I feel. It works great and I like the 100mm faders as I can control the cc data with much more granularity. Price also was appealing and it does the trick. Motors are a bit loud but I don't use the automated faders often.

9. arnau

arnau Active Member

Nov 12, 2008
    Barcelona
    Hi, do you know if is there a way in Cubase to achieve this with any MIDI controller. I would love to have Cubase change the values when I move a fader ONLY when I reach the data value with my fader.
    Cheers!

SomeGuy likes this.
  10. muk

muk Senior Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Josh Richman and higgs like this.
  11. AllanH

AllanH Senior Member

Oct 11, 2015
    Central Coast California
    The asparion device looks interesting and pretty solid. Can't find it in the US, however.
    I'm wondering if a tablet with software is the better choice, or maybe something similar to a roli. I would like the ability to fade in 2D (x & y) or 3d (x, y and pressure). What that could do to automation, especially for solo instruments, would be fantastic. Haven't researched that yet.

12. Baron Greuner

Baron Greuner Senior Member

Sep 6, 2015
    Do not think you can do that.

13. Smikes77

Oct 13, 2014
    Brighton, UK
    Thanks, I found this out through another source too. Shame, I like the look of it.

14. Smikes77

Oct 13, 2014
    Brighton, UK
    Looks good, what about this?

http://sxpro.co.uk/icon-qcon-pro-x?gclid=CM_0ibvB0MwCFeYK0wodC9YLvQ

15. TintoL

TintoL Active Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Toronto
    Sorry that I missed your question. That feature is not a cubase thing. Is a controller feature, and to be more specific is a software thing. You have to get a controller that supports that. The nektar line supports this. I am surprised this has not been implemented in seuquencing software.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
    arnau likes this.
  16. Flux

Flux Member

Jul 22, 2015
    Los Angeles
    I have been looking at the BCF2000 purely for controlling midi cc automation in Logic. Could someone clarify on the noise issue if you were only using it to control midi cc data? Since my needs for the control surface are minimal, is there another controller either cheaper or similar in price which you guys would recommend?

17. brett

brett Active Member

Jul 14, 2010
    I turn off the automation and just do it manually. No noise!

18. synthpunk

synthpunk Senior Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
  19. chimuelo

chimuelo Star Of Stage & Screen

May 14, 2007
    Between 120-150bpm
    I used BCF2000 for years.
    Excellent controller plus extra MIDI Ports and additional Continuos Controller jack for expression.
    I retired mine for an advanced Physis K4.

But added the MIDI Twister, basically a DJs tool.
    Really great controller with excellent programmer app.
    Usually anything that works well live is even better when editting programming and recording.

DynamicK likes this.
  20. Gordon_hiphoplp

Gordon_hiphoplp I am a visionary and doer...

Oct 3, 2017
    New delhi, India
    Hi Sean, wanted to know if you can disable fader movement in xtouch compact in midi cc mode??