Middle Eastern Strings & Articulations

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by Transients, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Transients

Transients New Member

May 2, 2018
    Norway
    Do any of the libraries from Spitfire, Orchestral Tools, VSL, ProjectSam etc have any middle eastern flavour, and articulations typically used in this kind of music, in their libraries? Any suggestions where to look for these kind of articulations and to create that middle eastern sound?

2. TomNoyd

TomNoyd No one special

Mar 25, 2013
    I'm not sure about Spitfire, Orchestral Tools, VSL, or ProjectSam specifically but if Middle Eastern strings are what you're looking for, I think Neocymatic's Hybrid Strings might fit the bill (they also released Simulation Strings which is an ensemble rather than solo).

Strange. It hasn't even been 10 minutes and I mentioned this exact library in 2 posts in a row.

EDIT:

Might need some reverb but here's a demo of their Simulation Strings:

3. Batrawi

Batrawi Active Member

Jul 9, 2016
    Most libraries with non-vibrato sustain and portamento should do. LASS for example is very good at this. Also remember it mainly depends on how you arrange your strings to get that ME flavour. A very common ME sound usually have the 4 strings scetions playing same note in unison while being 1 octave apart from each other.

Casiquire and Zee like this.
  4. Jerry Growl

Jerry Growl Composing Music in the Plastic Dark Ages

Jul 4, 2017
    Belgium
    Apart from sound, typical tuning is also something to consider.

EWQL Rare has some Arabian strings patches. They aren't as playable and flexible as most string libraries. Adding portamento works fine. These 'Arabian string' patches mimic the octavos and somewhat laggy playing style. And most imporantly, there's a wide array of Persian, Arab and historical tunings available, this makes for very interesting colours i.m.o.

Sears Poncho likes this.
  5. reutunes

reutunes Senior Member

May 1, 2012
    I would suggest Sonokinetic's "Sultan Strings" for this. It's an oldie but still holds up.

sostenuto likes this.
  6. DSmolken

DSmolken Senior Member

Jun 30, 2016
    A lot of Middle Eastern pop uses blatantly scripted portamento, but I really like the sound in this song. Could probably get there with samples by stacking a few solo instruments with different portamento time settings for each, to avoid that unrealistically perfectly synced sound.

7. keepitsimple

keepitsimple Active Member

May 8, 2017
    The Legato Slur+Port patches in Hollywood strings will work flawlessly for what you're looking for. A lot of middle east based composers/arrangers still use them until this day in the work they do for famous singers in the region.

I don't have composer cloud anymore but i tried those patches and i can confirm.

You have to dig and find which patches exactly but they're there. I forgot which ones.

8. sean8877

sean8877 Member

Nov 2, 2017
    I don't own any of his stuff, but the Avarim Dayan Arabic strings sounds really good to me (kind of expensive though):

9. MartinH.

MartinH. Senior Member

Jun 16, 2018
    I'm a bit tired and misread this as Bollywood Strings...

10. SAM CA

SAM CA Member

Feb 5, 2019
    Sultan Strings is pretty much a Phrase-based library. It doesn't actually have playable presets, right?

11. bap_la_so_1

bap_la_so_1 Prince of All Evil

Jun 24, 2015
    Vietnam
    It does has playable patches

SAM CA likes this.
  12. tim727

tim727 Active Member

Nov 21, 2017
    I think some have made the assumption that you're looking for ensemble strings that can pull off this sound. Is that the case or are you open to solo strings as well?

13. sourcefor

sourcefor Active Member

May 1, 2011
    Maybe Afflatus from Strezov

Goldie Zwecker likes this.
  14. OP
    OP
    Transients

Transients New Member

May 2, 2018
    Norway
    Hi. And thanks for replys. Ensemble patches is what i has in my mind yes. Some very interesting suggestions and tips here. Too bad i aint got Hollywood strings and the mentioned Legato slur+port patch, but maybe i can look into the libraries i own and try to figure out the portamento options. I am sort of a beginner so i need to dive deeper into which articulations, if any, beside portamento i should be aware of creating this kind of music. I did some googling and found NI discovery series middle east, maybe thats a good starting point as well. Nobody has mentioned it, maybe its to obvious.

I guess the first thing i think of is that i need strings with fast attack and be able to slide to the next note up or down. Hopefully it can be done in Spifire or OT or i have to cash out on more libraries.

15. ChristopherDoucet

ChristopherDoucet Follow on Twitter @DoucetComposer

Cant wait to check this thread out when I have time!!!

16. brenneisen

brenneisen Active Member

Feb 23, 2017
    sustains, tremolos, trills and glissandi (falls)

(but no legato)

SAM CA likes this.
  17. BabyGiraffe

BabyGiraffe New Member

Feb 25, 2017
    It has more to do with the tuning than with the samples. Oriental music uses "neutral" thirds and/or seconds (and their inversions, of course). Good portamento and legato are a big plus, but no sampled instrument can sound completely realistic or be super flexible; maybe modelled string instruments would be better for expressive styles like these.

18. midi-et-quart

midi-et-quart 12:15

Apr 16, 2018
    I agree, and I think that multiple legatos and an overall flexible way of playing are key here.
    You could surely make a convincing middle eastern sounding line with SF solo violin or Embertone's Joshua Bell library. As long as this violin sounds good and is flexible enough, very much then depends on your own ability to mock up things well.

19. Batrawi

Batrawi Active Member

Jul 9, 2016
    check this out :). again portamento is key (man you can even fake runs with it). I'm not 100% sure if the vst in this video is LASS, yet I'm 100% I can achieve same results with LASS

20. BabyGiraffe

BabyGiraffe New Member

Feb 25, 2017
    From the youtube video description: "The violins are being played by four midi tracks in EXS24 (Logic's sampler)", so it's not LASS.
    I guess that with something like a Roli keyboard (mapping the pitch bend and vibrato/tremolo using lfos ) you can imitate pretty good violin playing (using any sample library).

Batrawi likes this.