What's new

Middle Eastern Strings & Articulations

Transients

Do any of the libraries from Spitfire, Orchestral Tools, VSL, ProjectSam etc have any middle eastern flavour, and articulations typically used in this kind of music, in their libraries? Any suggestions where to look for these kind of articulations and to create that middle eastern sound?

TomNoyd

No one special
I'm not sure about Spitfire, Orchestral Tools, VSL, or ProjectSam specifically but if Middle Eastern strings are what you're looking for, I think Neocymatic's Hybrid Strings might fit the bill (they also released Simulation Strings which is an ensemble rather than solo).

Strange. It hasn't even been 10 minutes and I mentioned this exact library in 2 posts in a row.

EDIT:

Might need some reverb but here's a demo of their Simulation Strings:

Batrawi

Most libraries with non-vibrato sustain and portamento should do. LASS for example is very good at this. Also remember it mainly depends on how you arrange your strings to get that ME flavour. A very common ME sound usually have the 4 strings scetions playing same note in unison while being 1 octave apart from each other.

Jerry Growl

Composing Music in the Plastic Dark Ages
Apart from sound, typical tuning is also something to consider.

EWQL Rare has some Arabian strings patches. They aren't as playable and flexible as most string libraries. Adding portamento works fine. These 'Arabian string' patches mimic the octavos and somewhat laggy playing style. And most imporantly, there's a wide array of Persian, Arab and historical tunings available, this makes for very interesting colours i.m.o.

DSmolken

A lot of Middle Eastern pop uses blatantly scripted portamento, but I really like the sound in this song. Could probably get there with samples by stacking a few solo instruments with different portamento time settings for each, to avoid that unrealistically perfectly synced sound.

keepitsimple

The Legato Slur+Port patches in Hollywood strings will work flawlessly for what you're looking for. A lot of middle east based composers/arrangers still use them until this day in the work they do for famous singers in the region.

I don't have composer cloud anymore but i tried those patches and i can confirm.

You have to dig and find which patches exactly but they're there. I forgot which ones.

sean8877

I don't own any of his stuff, but the Avarim Dayan Arabic strings sounds really good to me (kind of expensive though):

tim727

Do any of the libraries from Spitfire, Orchestral Tools, VSL, ProjectSam etc have any middle eastern flavour, and articulations typically used in this kind of music, in their libraries? Any suggestions where to look for these kind of articulations and to create that middle eastern sound?
I think some have made the assumption that you're looking for ensemble strings that can pull off this sound. Is that the case or are you open to solo strings as well?

OP
Transients

Transients

Hi. And thanks for replys. Ensemble patches is what i has in my mind yes. Some very interesting suggestions and tips here. Too bad i aint got Hollywood strings and the mentioned Legato slur+port patch, but maybe i can look into the libraries i own and try to figure out the portamento options. I am sort of a beginner so i need to dive deeper into which articulations, if any, beside portamento i should be aware of creating this kind of music. I did some googling and found NI discovery series middle east, maybe thats a good starting point as well. Nobody has mentioned it, maybe its to obvious.

I guess the first thing i think of is that i need strings with fast attack and be able to slide to the next note up or down. Hopefully it can be done in Spifire or OT or i have to cash out on more libraries.

BabyGiraffe

It has more to do with the tuning than with the samples. Oriental music uses "neutral" thirds and/or seconds (and their inversions, of course). Good portamento and legato are a big plus, but no sampled instrument can sound completely realistic or be super flexible; maybe modelled string instruments would be better for expressive styles like these.

It has more to do with the tuning than with the samples. Oriental music uses "neutral" thirds and/or seconds (and their inversions, of course). Good portamento and legato are a big plus, but no sampled instrument can sound completely realistic or be super flexible; maybe modelled string instruments would be better for expressive styles like these.
I agree, and I think that multiple legatos and an overall flexible way of playing are key here.
You could surely make a convincing middle eastern sounding line with SF solo violin or Embertone's Joshua Bell library. As long as this violin sounds good and is flexible enough, very much then depends on your own ability to mock up things well.

Batrawi

check this out :). again portamento is key (man you can even fake runs with it). I'm not 100% sure if the vst in this video is LASS, yet I'm 100% I can achieve same results with LASS

BabyGiraffe

check this out I'm not 100% sure if the vst in this video is LASS, yet I'm 100% I can achieve same results with LASS
From the youtube video description: "The violins are being played by four midi tracks in EXS24 (Logic's sampler)", so it's not LASS.
I guess that with something like a Roli keyboard (mapping the pitch bend and vibrato/tremolo using lfos ) you can imitate pretty good violin playing (using any sample library).

Top Bottom