What's new

Microsoft Surface 6 pro i5, i7 or wait for a new version of it?

DANIELE

Hi all,

after trying different tablet and because I want a tablet with a very good digitizer (for StaffPad for example) I ended up my long investigation on Microsoft Surface Pro 6.

Now, obviously, because there are many different models and many different prices do you think it will be better (from a quality price ratio point of view) to buy...

1. Microsoft Surface Pro 6 Tablet, Core i5 8250U, 8 GB RAM, SSD 128 GB (now on sale for prime day on Amazon);
  2. Microsoft Surface Pro 6 Tablet, Core i5 8250U, 8 GB RAM, SSD 256 GB (costs a lot more of the previous one);
  3. Microsoft Surface Pro 6 Tablet, Core i7 8650U, 8 GB RAM, SSD 256 GB (almost double the cost of the first one);
  4. I should wait for better times.

Consider that I have to buy the pen and the keyboard too and I know they are pretty pricey (I don't know exactly what model to buy).

I'd like this to work with stuff like staff pad, to take notes, for work and other similar purposes. I don't think I'll use it for heavy orchestral projects or similar, I have the main workstation for this.

Any advice from you would be very appreciated.

Thank you.

Denkii

I got the i7 16gb Ram 500gb SSD version last year. Although I'd say it's a super handy device that you can always fit in whatever bag you're traveling with and even do light orchestral Work on it, I would suggest that now is not the best time to buy.

If I were you, I'd wait for the next version, hoping that it will feature either a second USB port and/or a USB-C port. It's a pain to always have a POWERED USB-hub with you, if you want to work on something where you need an interface, a hard drive and a keyboard.

OP
DANIELE

DANIELE

I got the i7 16gb Ram 500gb SSD version last year. Although I'd say it's a super handy device that you can always fit in whatever bag you're traveling with and even do light orchestral Work on it, I would suggest that now is not the best time to buy.

If I were you, I'd wait for the next version, hoping that it will feature either a second USB port and/or a USB-C port. It's a pain to always have a POWERED USB-hub with you, if you want to work on something where you need an interface, a hard drive and a keyboard.
Thank you for the advice. Very useful.

So except for the "waiting advice" that I may will follow (most likely), you would buy the top version that it is very very pricey. What would you advice being more important? i7, 16GB RAM or 500 GB SSD?

Denkii

I7 16gb Ram is top priority. You can always work with external hard drives but no such thing as external RAM ;)

If you're really really really only doing office work on it, then i5 8gb should be fine.

Top Bottom