What's new

Microphone Recommendations (for Vocal Recordings)

This is a comparison between Neumann U87 and in Rode NT1A.

As you can clearly hear, it's not garbage or whatever else was said. It's a perfectly decent microphone and for the money it's a fucking amazing microphone.

I think I paid about $1,800 for my U87, and about $250 for the Rode.

Despite this, I think I actually prefer the Rode for some things
Full confession, I have never used either. But I am repeatedly hearing bad things about the NT1A's harsh high end. FWIW

Full confession, I have never used either. But I am repeatedly hearing bad things about the NT1A's harsh high end. FWIW
Yeah, well, it's definitely not a km84. It's definitely got a high-end boost that is not particularly silky. I wouldn't put it on an acoustic guitar, for example.

But I think it gets a bum rap, which is why I posted the video. You can hear for yourself that it's not as bad as the people on gearslutz, which warrants a study of some kind of sociological nature on the hive mind phenomena, claim it to be.

I like to put it on things that are dull sounding, like this old classical guitar that I found in a pawn shop which has a weird little tone that can cut through any mix, but just has no high-end at all.

I've been collecting microphones for 30 years, from the best to the worst. And I've come to think of them all as like little sound effects.

Last year I had a dobro player in who had just changed his strings. I hated it. So I put a ball microphone, like the ones blues harp players use, on it and it sounded incredible.

Of course what most people want in a vocal microphone is something that's going to make them sound like Adele, or whoever the latest thing is now.

It ain't going to happen. But it really does amaze me how close these cheap microphones have started to get.

In fairness, I've seen little of this on any site, including this one and gearslutz.

I'm completely interested in fairness, and I think I was winding up for my screed, so it wasn't the best framing. Mea culpa, bill5.

A common bit of sage advice is that Michael Jackson used the SM7 on the Thriller album, or Bono uses a Beta 58, or Frank Sinatra preferred a U47 for some recordings, Taylor Swift likes the Advantone CV-12.

This unnecessarily clouds the waters for someone new to microphones, and suggests a bunch of random microphones at widely different price points to someone not familiar with what these mics are. Or were, in some cases.

I humbly suggest that what happens even more often is there is an aura of mystique and nostalgia that is pumped into old hen's-teeth mics that are the price of a new car. This fetishizing of unobtainable stuff is constantly reinforced by bashing the "re-issue," the modern "equivalent," or some poor thing that has been given the same name and differs from the originals because of design, or more often, by time's effects on those originals.

Examples include C12 variants, the U87 Ai, C414, KM184, and so many others.

The first "great" mic I got was the TLM 103, and then I heard other ones. Not so great. Eek.

The TLM 49. There, that's the sound. Do I use it a lot now? Not so much. Long-form reading.

MD 441. I love the Swiss Army possibilities. Nice mic.

Horses for courses. There is so much to confuse someone who just gets to watch videos with lower-bitrate audio, and hear long-held opinions that don't consider anything made currently on par with what once was. Also, the market is flooded with mass market and boutique offerings that make the head spin.

Lots of marketing is done by putting a face on a piece of gear. Always the case. Whose oats? The guy with the hat and the long locks.

Greg

More cool, experiential info ( that I suck up like a blotter ) and helps deal with the vast marketing mist seen /heard daily. While this moderates much info seen searching, it makes things even more difficult to sort ... personally. When I try to place myself in in terms of Your comments, and those by @ bill5, I'm left with a tough 'bottom line' ..... pick my price point and purchase something ! I get it, but remains difficult even with posted names of decent choices. Let me 'splain plz ....

While current PG48 is barely workable, a better dynamic may not provide sufficient output into current mic amp / I/F. Not sure why new Scarlett SOLO barely provides anything audible, but does not.

This tends to push me to condenser even though single vocal is only main goal. Scarlett SOLO may be OK with condenser and 48v power ? I am realistically in <$200. range, so options like Aston Origin are simply too many $$$.
@ bill5 provided a helpful set of current options, but picking one almost come down to throwing a dart at the wall. Initially focused on AKG P220, but cannot explain why, other than brand name and cost. I mentioned AKG C5 more than once, but doesn't get much encouragement. MXL 770 gets attention, but get sense of lesser quality. se X1 is still unknown for me.

Enjoying this discussion thoroughly, and trusting my immediate solution will become clear soon.

Regards

I can't go back five pages now, but did you ever say what kind of vocals are going to go into the chosen mic? Are you a Leonard Cohen, or a Don Henley? A Chet Baker or a Tom Waits? David Sylvian or Bob Mould?

Low, high, loud, quiet, basic-all-rounder?

I realize this is vital for decent choice, but definitely adding new Mic for limited situations when Home Studio guests include vocalist ...... most likely female. Genres most likely Pop, Jazz, lite Classical, maaaybe lite rock. Large, rectanular, high, sloping-ceiling, carpeted room. Otherwise non-acoustically treated. External sound limited to very limited instrumentals ..... guitar, bass. My sound is all DAW-VSTi instrument sources ..... piano, synth, some orchestral.

Last edited:
This is only what I personally would do, given your situation. I love reading about this stuff, so I hope some others will help out too.

I would take your limited budget and get a great dynamic mic. A studio standard. A good all-round vocal mic that can be pointed at things without teeth and still do a great job. SM 58, SM 57. MD 421. EV RE 20.

It might be that your space isn't ready for a studio condenser.

In a couple months, if I had a few hundred bucks, I would get a hefty preamp like the ISA One, that could really jack up that dynamic mic and give it different voices. Learn what's happening with the singing and with the room.

Buying a super-sensitive cheap condenser and wrapping it in a sound shield and going to all these lengths to work at cross purposes, IMHO, will do a lot more harm than good.

Lunch time takes me away from microphones, and I would much rather eat tech than food sometimes, but hey.

Doing rock and jazz vocals, you're going to want a little something more than an objective and flat input. You can do this on the fly, on the way in, or in post-processing.

Choices, choices. I'd start simple with a quality transducer that shows up in many of the desert island mics list, then build from there.

Just a schlub here. I really want you to succeed, be happy, and make music that makes you want to make more music!!!

Greg

Female singer with a Pat Benatar vocal range here. I spent a bit of time at a Guitar Center trying out mics and ended up with an AT3035. I works with my 6i6. I haven't really tried it with my solo, as I picked up a Slate Digital VMS ML-1 before I got the solo. It is very flat and I actually like it without all the reproductions. The only problem I've really had with it is when I belt, I have to change the settings because it is too hot. It can't handle quiet to loud as well as I would like. So a lot of editing to make it work.

That said, I also have a couple of XML condensers that I got on sale through Musicians Friend for about $100 each that actually sound good.

The problem you may have if you are recording others is every voice is different so some mics will work well for some singers and not for others. Also, did you try getting a new cable for your current mic? Sometimes it is just the cable.

Female singer with a Pat Benatar vocal range here. I spent a bit of time at a Guitar Center trying out mics and ended up with an AT3035. I works with my 6i6. I haven't really tried it with my solo, as I picked up a Slate Digital VMS ML-1 before I got the solo. It is very flat and I actually like it without all the reproductions. The only problem I've really had with it is when I belt, I have to change the settings because it is too hot. It can't handle quiet to loud as well as I would like. So a lot of editing to make it work.

That said, I also have a couple of XML condensers that I got on sale through Musicians Friend for about $100 each that actually sound good.

The problem you may have if you are recording others is every voice is different so some mics will work well for some singers and not for others. Also, did you try getting a new cable for your current mic? Sometimes it is just the cable.

Great to see your thoughts ! Shure PG48 was purchased new, with cable, and carefully stored.
Not much wear & tear after amazing wife lost her Pink Ribbon battle. :sleep:

Current scenario is most likely male friends with female wife /partner vocalist. Since AT3035 is no longer produced, not sure what replaced; but was very close to AT2035 before this Thread drew my attention. No doubt it will work with SOLO, but maybe a better preamp ?

Slate VMS ML-1 is interesting, but need to research valid hook-ups. Assume maybe VMS-ONE ULTRA LINEAR MICROPHONE PREAMP ??

Thank-you so much for taking time ! Your vocal experience is truly valued. I am more than capable of beating this topic to death .... maybe already have .... and need to get on with a purchase now, with much better perspective in recent days.

Very best regards

This is only what I personally would do, given your situation. I love reading about this stuff, so I hope some others will help out too.

I would take your limited budget and get a great dynamic mic. A studio standard. A good all-round vocal mic that can be pointed at things without teeth and still do a great job. SM 58, SM 57. MD 421. EV RE 20.

It might be that your space isn't ready for a studio condenser.

In a couple months, if I had a few hundred bucks, I would get a hefty preamp like the ISA One, that could really jack up that dynamic mic and give it different voices. Learn what's happening with the singing and with the room.

Buying a super-sensitive cheap condenser and wrapping it in a sound shield and going to all these lengths to work at cross purposes, IMHO, will do a lot more harm than good.

Lunch time takes me away from microphones, and I would much rather eat tech than food sometimes, but hey.

Doing rock and jazz vocals, you're going to want a little something more than an objective and flat input. You can do this on the fly, on the way in, or in post-processing.

Choices, choices. I'd start simple with a quality transducer that shows up in many of the desert island mics list, then build from there.

Just a schlub here. I really want you to succeed, be happy, and make music that makes you want to make more music!!!

Greg

Thank-you for specific Reply to my situation ! Of the Mic choices, SM 58 is most realistic, yet with reasonable concern about usage with Scarlett SOLO. I am Focusrite loyalist, so ISA One is a solid choice ..... $$$$ disclaimer. :blush: Not totally out of question as having reviewed along with .... Warm Audio WA12 MkII, Golden Age Project Pre73 MkIII, Grace M101. Hoping for some trustworthy EBay choices ....

THX!

Neumann KM-84 would be an unconventional choice for voice, since it's really an instrument mic.

I have a fortuitously matched pair of Oktavas that sound very similar, and they're great. But I wouldn't normally think of using them on voice.

I'm afraid I'm the one who brought that little 84 Neumann cigar through security. Somewhere I lost the plot, but it has beautiful characteristics when used for voice over at about a meter, and the current-production KM184 is disparaged as a poor replacement. I started going off on mics I was happy with instead of focusing on the OP. I promise I will extinguish it in the next trash can.

And yeah, the Warm Audio or Golden Age preamps would give you even more Whomp on vocals. Something like the Grace or Millennia pre is not mojo, but transparency and accuracy. I want a couple, just for that. Not for voices. Unless they were classically trained ones.

Great to see your thoughts ! Shure PG48 was purchased new, with cable, and carefully stored.
Not much wear & tear after amazing wife lost her Pink Ribbon battle. :sleep:

Current scenario is most likely male friends with female wife /partner vocalist. Since AT3035 is no longer produced, not sure what replaced; but was very close to AT2035 before this Thread drew my attention. No doubt it will work with SOLO, but maybe a better preamp ?

Slate VMS ML-1 is interesting, but need to research valid hook-ups. Assume maybe VMS-ONE ULTRA LINEAR MICROPHONE PREAMP ??

Thank-you so much for taking time ! Your vocal experience is truly valued. I am more than capable of beating this topic to death .... maybe already have .... and need to get on with a purchase now, with much better perspective in recent days.

Very best regards
Yes, the Slate comes with a pre-amp. Or at least mine did. But the price has come down a bit since I got it. You also might want to talk to Eric at the JRRShop. He has a NOS mic that can do simulations as well that I think he makes. Haven't tried it yet but it is one my list. IK Multimedia and Antares both make mic modeling software. My ears aren't good enough to really tell the difference but others seem to like it.

Eric is @UncleE over at KVR. He posts sale threads here but I don't see him around here much otherwise. He is really helpful and won't try to sell you something you don't need.

The problem you may have if you are recording others is every voice is different so some mics will work well for some singers and not for others.
That's worth repeating. So many times I've seen people ask stuff like "what's a good mic for female singer" - there's no such thing because there's no such thing as a "female (or male) voice." They vary a lot.

Also agree with Stingtree that without room treatment, getting a condenser is probably pointless, so I wouldn't go for the AKG 220 till you do something about that. Remember condensers can pick up voices better but that means they also pick up noises you don't want a lot better too.

I could be wrong but I have to wonder if the mic is the problem (assuming loudness is your only complaint and you are fine with its overall quality). You could of course get a mic or two and if it doesn't sound any better, return it. Oh IMO Sennheiser make great mics too; in fact I prefer the 835 over the Shure SM58, same price.

helpful set of current options, but picking one almost come down to throwing a dart at the wall.
Welcome to the world of microphones. :) It really is like throwing a dart at the wall. One mic that someone says is amazing, someone else will say they hated. Also in my opinion the differences in mics tends to be exaggerated, often quite a bit so (that doesn't mean there aren't differences). Inexpensive mics can sound great and out-perform pricier ones. Not always so of course, my point is you can't just go by price.

I would just read what you can find on the net, also browse gearslutz.com, tons of gear talk there, see what names keep popping up.

Good luck!

Yes, the Slate comes with a pre-amp. Or at least mine did. But the price has come down a bit since I got it. You also might want to talk to Eric at the JRRShop. He has a NOS mic that can do simulations as well that I think he makes. Haven't tried it yet but it is one my list. IK Multimedia and Antares both make mic modeling software. My ears aren't good enough to really tell the difference but others seem to like it.

Eric is @UncleE over at KVR. He posts sale threads here but I don't see him around here much otherwise. He is really helpful and won't try to sell you something you don't need.

Thanks so much ! 'Wide Awake in Dreamland' playing right now !! !988 was 'a very good year'

Take care

Final niggle hopefully :blush:
Stumbled on Lindell 6X500 hardware Mic Preamp/EQ during eBay searches ..... @ $299.
I have this as Plugin Alliance - VST and inserted in Reaper PG48 / Scarlett SOLO Audio Track. Seems to produce definite volume increases, as well as other vocal FX. Must trust my 'seasoned' ears on this, yet wondering if others here feel it can get somewhat close to the pre-Reaper 'hardware' result ?

Asking due to more serious attention now to quality Mic Preamp .... Would be cool to have this be a decent near-term tweak prior to any new Mic purchase. Saves much vs Focusrite - ISA One !! :notworthy:

Last edited:
I just came across this awesome vocal microphone camparison at Sweetwater. They compare 50 vocal microphones with the same male and female vocalists and include links with the actual audio clips. To my ears, a little EQ could make many of these mics sound quite similar - even those spanning a wide price range. A pretty useful review for those looking to purchase a vocal microphone.

And the comparison test below (for recording acoustic guitar) uses an even wider range of mic types.

Last edited:
I just came across this awesome vocal microphone camparison at Sweetwater. They compare 50 vocal microphones with the same male and female vocalists and include links with the actual audio clips. To my ears, a little EQ could make many of these mics sound quite similar
To my ears, they already do :) And caveat, I think only one of them is in the OP's range (the C1). Great idea, I just wish they'd do one with mostly more inexpensive mics.

Top Bottom