What's new

Mic settings - Spitfire Symphonic Orchestra

Aleela

Hi! I need help setting up the microphones of each section of the Spitfire Symphonic Orchestra (with Spitfire Percussion, Spitfire Harp, Spitfire Solo Strings). I want to recreate the typical orchestral layout.

I'm looking for settings that have already been tested.

Can anyone help me? Thanks!

Hi Aleela.
The microphones of Spitfire Symphonic Orchestra and Percussion are already in seating position of typical orchestral layout.
Even the close mics are already at the correct position (you can easily find out by just using the close mic only and hear from where the sound comes, on headphones this can be heard very good).
For example the 1st violins come from the left side.
Given the fact that all mics are panned already it is just a matter of taste how you mix them.

The only one not panned I think is the Harp close mic. In the tree mic it sounds like the harp is little bit on the left side.

I can't speak for the Solo Strings as I don't have those.

Hi Aleela.
The microphones of Spitfire Symphonic Orchestra and Percussion are already in seating position of typical orchestral layout.
Even the close mics are already at the correct position (you can easily find out by just using the close mic only and hear from where the sound comes, on headphones this can be heard very good).
For example the 1st violins come from the left side.
Given the fact that all mics are panned already it is just a matter of taste how you mix them.

The only one not panned I think is the Harp close mic. In the tree mic it sounds like the harp is little bit on the left side.

I can't speak for the Solo Strings as I don't have those.
Yes, I meant the mixing of microphones for each orchestral section. I mean I want to mix the microphones from the listener's point of view that the strings are closer and so on up to the percussions that are the furthest away.
I'm looking for presets already tested by you fellow composers.

Yes, I meant the mixing of microphones for each orchestral section. I mean I want to mix the microphones from the listener's point of view that the strings are closer and so on up to the percussions that are the furthest away.

Everybody uses different kind of settings. There is no such thing as a general preset. Try out things and find your own mix. As a starting point use the tree and add close for definition and a bit bite. If you have the surrounds use them to add width to sound. Sometimes you can also use them solely for specific groups like Brass which works fine.

If you use the far Mics of each section you’d be fine as they were all recorded in perspective seating. So the string will sounds where they should compared to the brass. Use spot Mics to add detail for passages. It’s easier to create the sound you want with libraries recorded in the same space. But this method should work just fine.

Top Bottom