What's new

Metagrid for IOS (Updated with LE Commands)

Any word if integrated saving "feature" is coming with 1.5?

Please don't tell me we still need iTunes for that...

We have Dropbox import/export functionality basically ready but we are not sure if it will come to v1.5. We know it is a vital functionality and we will make it right in Q1 2018 - be patient.

Got a 12.9 iPad Pro on eBay for only $550, from BuySpry -- highly recommended! It's an official refurbish and looks completely brand new.

Anyway, I have a question for you all: Moving icons around in Metagrid is a very frustrating experience for me -- it's taking a long time to arrange the buttons on a view the way I want them, and is quite maddening how the surrounding buttons move around when placing them. Can someone explain the rhyme and reason with how arranging the buttons works? Is there a way to lock buttons in place once you like where they are? It's taking me a very long time to make a simple button arrangement the way I want it...I might just be an idiot and am missing something, which is entirely possible. :)

Got a 12.9 iPad Pro on eBay for only $550, from BuySpry -- highly recommended! It's an official refurbish and looks completely brand new.

Anyway, I have a question for you all: Moving icons around in Metagrid is a very frustrating experience for me -- it's taking a long time to arrange the buttons on a view the way I want them, and is quite maddening how the surrounding buttons move around when placing them. Can someone explain the rhyme and reason with how arranging the buttons works? Is there a way to lock buttons in place once you like where they are? It's taking me a very long time to make a simple button arrangement the way I want it...I might just be an idiot and am missing something, which is entirely possible. :)

Yes, button reordering is a bit confusing - it works the same as app reordering on home screen on your iPad. Anyway, to make things easier we implement swap functionality - in Edit mode, swipe down on a button you want to change the position - all buttons will stop wobbling apart that one - and then press the next button - both buttons will change their positions.

And also to make your life easier use double touch with two fingers to copy a button, and long touch with two fingers to press functionality.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank. You! So happy you made that alternative. I too was going crazy rearranging the buttons. Totally get your mimicking the way app buttons move but that drives me nuts on the phone.

You guys are great over at Metasytem. Keep up the innovating.

Thanks for your help (very different from Steinberg, who takes many, many days...or never helps!). This app is amazing! Man, it's already improving my workflow by huge amounts.

A question: How do I remove an icon from a button, so that it's text only?

Last edited:
Thanks for your help (very different from Steinberg, who takes many, many days...or never helps!). This app is amazing! Man, it's already improving my workflow by huge amounts.

A question: How do I remove an icon from a button, so that it's text only?

To remove the icon, go to the Icon Selector, scroll to the first category - if my memory is right (I don't have my iPad at hand) select "No selection" and "None". This should revert the button to text only layout. It is not very intuitive and it will change in the near future.

Excellent, thank you!

I have a strong suggestion for a future update: For me I feel that the permanent bottom Views menu bar is too tall and should be sizable to be as small vertically as you'd like it while still fitting the text, and/or make it so you can move it to the top. The reason for either/both is that it would place the bottom row of the actual buttons closer to your keyboard where it's a quicker reach and feels more intuitive (these little things make a difference to someone like me who doesn't have big hands), and having either of these be an option would leave it so that people who want a big one at the bottom could still have it that way. I use the programmable buttons far more than that bottom Views bar, so the buttons being as close to my Mac keyboard as possible is important to me, and I bet for some others too.

Last edited:
Excellent, thank you!

I have a strong suggestion for a future update: For me I feel that the permanent bottom Views menu bar is too tall and should be sizable to be as small vertically as you'd like it while still fitting the text, and/or make it so you can move it to the top. The reason for either/both is that it would place the bottom row of the actual buttons closer to your keyboard where it's a quicker reach and feels more intuitive (these little things make a difference to someone like me who doesn't have big hands), and having either of these be an option would leave it so that people who want a big one at the bottom could still have it that way. I use the programmable buttons far more than that bottom Views bar, so the buttons being as close to my Mac keyboard as possible is important to me, and I bet for some others too.

Yes, it is on our FR list and we will implement it.

I'm looking at picking up an iPad pro 12.9" used, and wondering if there's any important difference between the original iPad pro and the 2nd generation version, purely as far as using it for is concerned?

Question for all: In Jono's video he assigns a PLE command to Macro 189 in Metagrid. This is confusing on my Cubase Pro (9.5) setup because his has 200 Control Names in the Device Setup whereas mine has 1010, and they're all taken up with commands already. I can replace some that I don't use, and I tried that but I couldn't get it to work via the way Jono outlined (setting up a Metagrid Macro with the same number you have the Control Name assigned to in the Generic Remote (Metagrid) setup in Cubase). The only way I could get it to work was to assign the PLE command to an unused key command, which I don't want to do because I need to lock Metagrid to Cubase and can't use it to trigger key commands in that case.

Can anyone explain to me precisely what needs to be done to make this work the way it does in Jono's video? It starts at 43:31 in his video:

Yes, it is on our FR list and we will implement it.

Quick question. Will the changes to Logic in 10.4 make it into your upcoming update?

Specifically the additional commands for ‘Toggle Hide Groups’, which has been increased.

I can use key commands in the meantime, but wondered if it’s on your roadmap?

You can basically do the work yourself by adding that KC to MetaSytem yourself. It is nice when it’s already in drop down but it’s not hard to add.

You can basically do the work yourself by adding that KC to MetaSytem yourself. It is nice when it’s already in drop down but it’s not hard to add.

Yep, that’s what I meant about using key commands, I was just checking to see if the update was likely.

It really is a great app.

Can anyone explain to me precisely what needs to be done to make this work the way it does in Jono's video? It starts at 43:31 in his video:

I’ve been having fun setting up Metagrid too. In Cubase under device setup you create 3 generic remotes and import the 3 xml files from the Metagrid download for Cubase into these – the 1st for Metagrid, the second for Cubase, the 3rd for macros. Its the 3rd which you use for linking metagrid to PLE commands without using keyboard shortcuts - I think that's what your referring to in Jono's video.

Quick question. Will the changes to Logic in 10.4 make it into your upcoming update?

Specifically the additional commands for ‘Toggle Hide Groups’, which has been increased.

I can use key commands in the meantime, but wondered if it’s on your roadmap?

We would really love to provide the updated commands set for Logic X but Apple hasn't updated yet their Logic SDK - they've promised to send it to us as soon as they are ready but so far no news from them... Let's hope they will release it soon.

Top Bottom