What's new

Metagrid for IOS (Updated with LE Commands)

jononotbono

Luke Johnson
I've been using the Arts Unmuted Liine Lemur Metagrid with Cubase 8.5 for a little while. I love it and the iPad has Cubase features assigned to buttons that are all labelled is just brilliant. Such a workflow enhancer.

I realised yesterday, after requesting a few new features, that Arts Unmuted have moved from Liine Lemur to solely develop for IOS. The new and improved Metagrid looks amazing. And it doesn't just work for a DAW. It can control web browsers and design Apps too. I'm probably late to this party but for anyone that doesn't know of it then it's worth checking out. It's costs £10.99 on the App Store.

You can, for example, create PLE keycommands in Cubase and use them to do what JXL does in his template building You Tube videos, for example, have a button that shows a specific instrument track and hides all of the rest etc.

Sorry if this is old news I've been so excited since finding out about this and thought I'd share it. Anyone here using it?

https://metasystem.io/

Jono

Last edited:
Very useful update to the Lemur app. Works with other DAWs as well and with Windows apps. I like that it comes with presets already setup for your DAW, which can be customized. Great buy.

I've just bought it. Works instantly. No more messing about with Lemur Daemon. Really impressed so far and love that you can lock the iPad App. Equally love that it changes to whatever your Mac App Focus is. For £10.99!? This is mind blowingly great!

This sounds very similar to Quadro. You can build your own macros and customise with Quadro, but I'll check this one out too and see if it's any better.

I told you about the Metagrid iOS app when you posted before about using lemur! Numpty ;)

It is great. It's the only app that I've not given up on after a week of use.

I told you about the Metagrid iOS app when you posted before about using lemur! Numpty ;)

It is great. It's the only app that I've not given up on after a week of use.

I thought you were talking about the previous Metagrid! God, was I drunk? Were you drunk? Probably. I'm just reading the manual. Thank you for putting me onto this... Eventually.

So, how have you customised your Metagrid? I am struggling with so many options! Obviously you don't have to give your secrets away!

It's amazing you can have so many sub folders. Options are endless compared to the old one!

I haven't done too much to it. I mainly keep it on the page with everything on it. I removed some of the things I know I'll never use and replaced them with useful things like a "export audio mixdown " button and "show Vst instrument". I also put in some of the show/hide buttons on the main page.

I find if I have to navigate lots of pages then it takes too long and defeats the purpose of the whole thing. So I prefer having it all on one page. Wish I had a bigger iPad screen!

Reactions: rvb
This sounds very similar to Quadro. You can build your own macros and customise with Quadro, but I'll check this one out too and see if it's any better.
I tried Quadro but it is a subscription purchase. Metagrid you own.

I've not actually used Quadro. I'm so impressed with Metagrid that I will stick with it. It's insane that it only costs £10.99 and I love how when I go to a different DAW that the Metagrid changes in real time to each App that's in focus (unless I have the lock button activated).

I've just picked this up and it's fantastic. Finder navigation and functions are super fast now with a few custom Automator services added.

Just starting a Cubase template and amazed at the depth of the app. You can bypass Cubase's macros and actually do meaningful macro commands with pauses. The lack of an external editor had me worried for a second but that was needless - the in-app editor is superb and fast.

I'll update this post with a few more thoughts down the line.

The one drawback is it uses the same internal port as Lemur so you can't switch between apps.

If i can chime in, let me spend a couple of words on Metagrid for iOS/iPad.

To put it lightly, it's so amazing i would have gladly paid 10x the price asked. It's such a polished, exceptional work that is almost unbelievable. I had the opportunity to exchange a couple of mails with the developer and he's just an amazing guy. By the way, an important update is about to be released adding a few more features.

In my opinion anyone, literally anyone working with one of the supported DAWs should instantly buy it and spend some time with it to customize it to its worklow.
If you took it off me now that i had it for a few days, i would consider buying an ipad just to have this app (by the way i use it on a rather old ipad2 and it works flawlessly).

Honestly i don't think the legendary touch screen in front of HZ is any better. Metagrid won't make you create good music, but it certainly goes a long way into reducing the friction from the music in your head and the music coming out of your monitors.

You can certainly achieve the same end results if you spend an indefinite amount of hours with Lemur or TouchOSC, but it will be a long journey.

It is that good. It just works.

Vanni

If i can chime in, let me spend a couple of words on Metagrid for iOS/iPad.

To put it lightly, it's so amazing i would have gladly paid 10x the price asked. It's such a polished, exceptional work that is almost unbelievable. I had the opportunity to exchange a couple of mails with the developer and he's just an amazing guy. By the way, an important update is about to be released adding a few more features.

In my opinion anyone, literally anyone working with one of the supported DAWs should instantly buy it and spend some time with it to customize it to its worklow.
If you took it off me now that i had it for a few days, i would consider buying an ipad just to have this app (by the way i use it on a rather old ipad2 and it works flawlessly).

Honestly i don't think the legendary touch screen in front of HZ is any better. Metagrid won't make you create good music, but it certainly goes a long way into reducing the friction from the music in your head and the music coming out of your monitors.

You can certainly achieve the same end results if you spend an indefinite amount of hours with Lemur or TouchOSC, but it will be a long journey.

It is that good. It just works.

Vanni

Well, my sentiments exactly.

I e-mailed them asked about Knobs and faders like they had in their Arts Unmuted Lemur Templates and they said they are working to bring them to Metagrid IOS. Basically, it's making me think I am going to buy an iPad Pro and use it for this App in the not so distant future. Yes. It's amazing and £10.99? Ridiculous.

With the introduction of an xy pad/faders this thing would be killer - you will not need Lemur for templates - (more esoteric controllers, yes).

I cannot imagine the amount of hours put into this - the depth of templates that come with it etc.

i will just add that after 3 days with this app i found myself guiltily looking into the price of used ipad Pros...the guy running ArtsUnmuted, the company behind the app, deserves a bright (and rich) future.

I know! Haha! I watched a great video of Lorne Balfe and he briefly talks about his RCP touchscreen and he demonstrates a box on screen where he taps the BPM and it sets the BPM in Cubase. This is just great. I need to figure out how to do that. At the minute I'm using a CMC controller that I can tap. Those RCP crew seem to know their shit! ;)

Top Bottom