Metagrid for IOS (Updated with LE Commands)

Discussion in 'Your DAW (Digital Audio Workstation)' started by jononotbono, Jan 5, 2017.

1. jonathanwright

jonathanwright Senior Member

Jul 7, 2011
    London
    Thanks very much for the reply! Not a problem, I can get by with key commands for now.

2. greggybud

greggybud Senior Member

Oct 12, 2016
    They way I set up my multiple scenes reflects Cubase windows to a certain extent. For example I have a scene that is mostly focused on the mix console, another one for drum and edit, and one with many buttons for the project page.

I'm wondering if there is any way for Metagrid to simply follow whatever Cubase window I click on? For example, if my focus is on Cubase key edit, then metagrid automatically focus on the corresponding scene that reflects the Cubase key edit?

Also, and I think it was mentioned earlier, is there going to be additional icons added for Cubase? I like what exists, but find many missing.

3. Headlands

Headlands Senior Member

Aug 18, 2017

Ahhhhh! That's it - thank you!!!!

Eliot likes this.
  4. Metasystem.io

Metasystem.io Senior Member

Mar 8, 2017
    Wrocław
    Some time ago we investigated the possibility of intercepting windows info in Cubase and we coudn't find a reliable solution. However, recently we stumbled on an interesting idea that is worth investigating and may bring the desired results. No promises though - we will try hard to make it happen in Q1.

5. Metasystem.io

Mar 8, 2017
    Wrocław
    January is coming to an end and unfortunately, we are not ready with v1.5 yet - during beta tests we found some blockers that require some additional work. However, we have decided to send an update for Apple approval this week - small but important from our perspective. Here are the main features and improvements:

- Support for custom actions in Reaper
    - Support for systems with language-specific keyboards - now all the keyboard shortcuts will register correctly regardless of your keyboard settings.
    - Support for language-specific text characters (with regional diacritics) depending on your keyboard settings. Now you can create text macros in your language!
    - Cubase timestamp issue fixed - now all CCs and notes are correctly placed on Cubase timeline.
    - On some setups Cubase/Ableton Live on Windows didn’t register keyboard combos on Windows - this issue has now been fixed (and was a tough one).

Thanks for your patience!

6. DynamicK

DynamicK Senior Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Gloucestershire
    Great news

7. greggybud

greggybud Senior Member

Oct 12, 2016
    Thank you for your reply.

While I can only speak for myself, I think other Cubase users might also follow the same general scene concepts that match Cubase windows. While I have scenes that are not releated to a specific Cubase window, having Metagrid automatically switch scenes depending on which particular Cubase window is in focus, would be a great workflow improvement...at least for myself. Of course to make it optimal for most users, there would have to be a switch to turn this feature on/off.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
  8. greggybud

greggybud Senior Member

Oct 12, 2016
    One more Metagrid question:

When right clicking on the metaserver icon in the task bar "start with windows" is checked. But when I start Windows 7 it is not starting.

After Windows 7 loads, LoopMIDI automatically loads too, but not Metaserver. I must manually click on the Metaserver icon that I have placed on my desktop, then in the lower right corner metaserver opens on my bottom task bar. Is that the normal behavior? Unlike LoopMidi that opens automatically upon windows booting, I must click on metaserver, before launching Megagrid on the iPad?

Eliot and C-Wave like this.
  9. JohannesR

JohannesR Senior Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Los Angeles
    An easy (and great IMO) solution would be to have the icons at the bottom of Metagrid also switch between workspaces in Cubase. Say, I have a mixer related set of icons asigned to the third screen in Metagrid. Whenever I activate screen #3 in Metagrid, workspace #3 is activated in Cubase (which is my mixer workspace).

Metagrid is a really awesome product btw!! I’m excited for the forthcoming updates.

C-Wave likes this.
  10. C-Wave

C-Wave Senior Member

Feb 27, 2016
    +1 on Windows 10

Eliot likes this.
  11. Eliot

Eliot Member

Apr 21, 2017
    I had the same problem with metagrid starting automatically on windows 7. I ended up pasting a shortcut from the app into the startup folder under ‘all programmes’ in the start menu. That did the trick. Not sure if that works for windows 10.

Agree, awesome app.

12. JohannesR

JohannesR Senior Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Los Angeles
    @Metasystem.io It would be great if the scene selection icons at the bottom of the page had assignable Action Queues as well. A few ideas:
    - Selecting a scene from Metagrid has a workspace in Cubase assigned as mentioned above. My mixer shortcuts in Metagrid would correspond to my mixer workspace in Cubase.
    - Selecting a scene from Metagrid triggers a macro. You could have Metagrid open a workspace, executing a Project Logical Editor command making just the relevant tracks visible etc. A very flexible solution, the possibilities here are endless.

13. zolhof

zolhof Senior Member

Jun 27, 2014
    Silent Hill
    Something like this?

Dunno if it will be possible to trigger delayed actions with one scene change, but it's a great idea for sure.

JohannesR likes this.
  14. JohannesR

JohannesR Senior Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Haha, exactly like that!

15. Soundhound

Soundhound Senior Member

Feb 13, 2011
    Sorry for the repost, I think my last about this was confusing and/or too boring for anyone to respond. :)

I'm thinking about getting a used 12.9 iPad Pro just for use with Metagrid. Anyone know if a first generation iPad pro is just as good as a 2nd generation, purely as far as using it with Metagrid goes? thanks!

16. Jake

Jake Senior Member

Jul 9, 2015
    I could be wrong, but for Metagrid use I can't see how there would be any performance difference between the 1st and 2nd generations of iPad Pro's. Even the 1st generation Pro is a very capable iPad, and Metagrid will run just fine on lesser iPads to the best of my knowledge.

However there may be someone with a different view.

Metasystem.io likes this.
  17. agarner32

agarner32 Senior Member

Nov 7, 2015
    California
    I'm using Metagrid on a first generation iPad Pro and it works great. I also can't see how there would be any difference with the next generation.

Metasystem.io likes this.
  18. Metasystem.io

Mar 8, 2017
    Wrocław
    iPad Pro 1st generation is a perfect fit for Metagrid.

tmhuud and Soundhound like this.
  19. OP
    OP
    jononotbono

jononotbono Luke Johnson

I apologise for not being clearer. Probably time for a new video soon exploring even more PLE and MLE commands! :)

20. Eliot

Eliot Member

Apr 21, 2017
    Jono, your video is brilliant. It really changed how I work on Cubase (Metagrid/PLE/MLE). My daughter even watched it for a bit because she says you look like a pirate (she’s only 8).

A second video would be most welcome.