1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Melancholic Strings

Discussion in 'Acoustic & Orchestral instruments' started by Garry, May 6, 2018.

1. Bollen

Bollen Member

Jul 23, 2016
    Szymanowski is quickly becoming one of my favourite composers since I heard his King Roger opera... But I was surprised not to find my favourite composer listed here:

Last edited: May 12, 2018
  2. DavidY

DavidY Senior Member

Nov 24, 2017
    UK
    I love the start of King Roger, and there were a few other bits I remember liking in there, but there are other chunks I'm pretty neutral about.
    Perhaps that's because I'm not generally a fan of the opera form overall.

Bollen likes this.
  3. ka00

ka00 Senior Member

Oct 23, 2017
    Toronto, Canada
    If the google definition of melancholy is: “a feeling of pensive sadness, typically with no obvious cause.“ then I would recommend checking out Thomas Newman’s soundtrack for Revolutionary Road. I find it utterly gutting. Although the piano does a lot of the heavy lifting.

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/album/revolutionary-road-original-motion-picture-soundtrack/324936679

Last edited: May 12, 2018
    Bollen likes this.
  4. Bollen

Bollen Member

Jul 23, 2016
    Yeah, same here actually. I can't stand the sound of opera singing, but sometimes they surprise me (it helps if some of the singers have a more subtle vibrato). I can think of only a handful of operas I've heard that I went yes! That's wonderful!

DavidY and Garry like this.