What's new

MegaMagic Dreams for Kontakt or Omnisphere?

Quasar

I want to get this during pluginguru John Lehmkuhl's current weekend sale, and it exists for both platforms. Is there any consensus on one being very much better than the other?

To me it boils down to which you prefer working in though. I use the Omnisphere version much more than I use the Kontakt version because it's just more accessible for me to navigate through.

The excessive, baked-in reverb was a turn-off for me with MegaMagic Dreams.
I hear you, and have already thought that one through. His goal at least is to wash the samples in his "magic sauce" without rendering the sound hopelessly muddy in the way that is typical with too much reverb, and (I have the guitars v1) I think he sort of succeeds. Some of the warm keyboard sounds are really attractive to me, even though these are patches that would be more of a spice than a main course I think...

If the sound sources are essentially the same, I'd just as soon get the O2 version. But I did notice the Kontakt download is almost twice as large...

One or more videos/livestreams, The Skip'r discussed 'tweakability' in Kontakt5 version.
Have Omni2 version and nowhere near capable with its subtleties ..... much less awesome tools in K5.
Magic Sauce is good stuff here for long time to come ...
Likely depends how much one wants/needs to change what MM Dreams is designed to be ?

Wanted to chip in a moment - I love to put the same sounds thru different synth engines - they sound different in a number of ways. Omnisphere has better effects (especially compressor wise) so the sounds are a bit more present in Omnisphere 2 than the Kontakt 5 version. Kontakt 5 has the super cool glitch MIDI effect, 2 convolution reverb, delay and 6 other effects in a slick interface. I love programming with this interface because of how fast and easy it is.... One other big difference is that the Omnisphere version has almost double the "signature" patches so the Omnisphere has a tad more diversity but still can't do that über-cool MIDI glitch effect!

As to the magic reverb and how "excessive" it is.... I wanted it to be noticed, not just a subtle add on or it sounded like crap 2 octaves up the keyboard - also, with a bazillion sample libraries out there, my goal is to try to make sample libraries that you can't compare to anything else because there isn't a library like these anywhere else. You can easily use the amp envelope to clamp the reverb down to tame it. You CAN'T add this effect to ANY samples because the instant you add 12 seconds of reverb as an EFFECT, it becomes mush after playing 3 notes. Then play an entire melodic passage and it becomes even uglier mush. Because the reverb is baked INTO the DNA of the sample, you can play chords and the reverb NEVER gets muddy. yes it's an old school trick (I am getting old) but one that even the most bad-ass modern reverb can't replicate, ever.

FYI, I just released this as a library for Alchemy - only the new version found inside of Logic Pro X. Patches are ignored in all previous versions of Alchemy, unfortunately. The Alchemy PowerPack also includes patches I was hired to create that were used in the factory voicing for the Camel Audio version of Alchemy. Apple wanted to pay me peanuts for the patches and I passed because I wanted to release them in a library of my own. Now it's out and all 105 MegaMagic: Dreams samples are included.

Cheers!

Wanted to chip in a moment - I love to put the same sounds thru different synth engines - they sound different in a number of ways. Omnisphere has better effects (especially compressor wise) so the sounds are a bit more present in Omnisphere 2 than the Kontakt 5 version. Kontakt 5 has the super cool glitch MIDI effect, 2 convolution reverb, delay and 6 other effects in a slick interface. I love programming with this interface because of how fast and easy it is.... One other big difference is that the Omnisphere version has almost double the "signature" patches so the Omnisphere has a tad more diversity but still can't do that über-cool MIDI glitch effect!

As to the magic reverb and how "excessive" it is.... I wanted it to be noticed, not just a subtle add on or it sounded like crap 2 octaves up the keyboard - also, with a bazillion sample libraries out there, my goal is to try to make sample libraries that you can't compare to anything else because there isn't a library like these anywhere else. You can easily use the amp envelope to clamp the reverb down to tame it. You CAN'T add this effect to ANY samples because the instant you add 12 seconds of reverb as an EFFECT, it becomes mush after playing 3 notes. Then play an entire melodic passage and it becomes even uglier mush. Because the reverb is baked INTO the DNA of the sample, you can play chords and the reverb NEVER gets muddy. yes it's an old school trick (I am getting old) but one that even the most bad-ass modern reverb can't replicate, ever.

FYI, I just released this as a library for Alchemy - only the new version found inside of Logic Pro X. Patches are ignored in all previous versions of Alchemy, unfortunately. The Alchemy PowerPack also includes patches I was hired to create that were used in the factory voicing for the Camel Audio version of Alchemy. Apple wanted to pay me peanuts for the patches and I passed because I wanted to release them in a library of my own. Now it's out and all 105 MegaMagic: Dreams samples are included.

Cheers!

Just watched your walkthrough video on YouTube and wanted to let you know, I think it sounds awesome! Definitely getting this!

I’m also looking forward to using these sounds with my Roli (Alchemy is one of the few synths I have that work with it).

Top Bottom