What's new

Massive X is Out!

To me, the AVX exclusivity, lack of MIDI learn, and lack of preset browser quality-of-life features suggest that they rushed the release, probably because they promised it as part of Komplete 12. Hopefully they'll refine things in future updates.
I think NI view it as a long term project with updates to come, judging by the marketing prose.
Anyhoo, it was fun to have a play with it, but I've decided against a K12 upgrade for now as I need new toy distractions like a need a hole in the head.
Have fun all!

In Ableton you can map the macro controls. So I don't understand the complaint?
Its not a deal breaker or anything. It just means that I need to map it in ableton and then save it as an instrument. I have already done that. I would have preferred to do it directly in the synth as it is more immediate.

Its not a deal breaker or anything. It just means that I need to map it in ableton and then save it as an instrument. I have already done that. I would have preferred to do it directly in the synth as it is more immediate.
I also think Ableton limits me to 8 macros (I could be wrong). Also I believe my Touche needs midi mapping in the synth to work, will check tonight. As I say, not the end of the world but also not how I prefer to work.

I think they did a great job designing a complex, flexible synth, that doesn't feel to overwhelming or cluttered. I see myself using it a lot, but I'm really looking forward to the update where they implement the modulation animations.

Soundwise I really like it. I thought at first the amount of wavetables was a bit limited, but with all the phase modulation and all the regular routings via envelopes and lfo's and effects you can really create some stunning sounds with a lot of depth and subtle things going on.

Anyone have issues with their Mouse not working in Massive X? I'm having this problem on both of my computers. I can move the Massive display around, play notes, etc. I cant control any of the knobs or sliders. The problem seems to come and go.

Anyone have issues with their Mouse not working in Massive X? I'm having this problem on both of my computers. I can move the Massive display around, play notes, etc. I cant control any of the knobs or sliders. The problem seems to come and go.

I was puzzled a bit until I realised some knobs and sliders move counter intuitively - for example the master output volume - displayed horizontally - moves when you click it and move the mouse up and down.... took me a few moments to figure!

Absolutely loving the synth though!!

I was puzzled a bit until I realised some knobs and sliders move counter intuitively - for example the master output volume - displayed horizontally - moves when you click it and move the mouse up and down.... took me a few moments to figure!

Absolutely loving the synth though!!
I like it a lot too, more than I would have thought simply because the last thing I was looking for was another synth. Please NI.....midi mapping.....

I'm usually not a tweaker or a make-your-own-sounds guy but I read the quick start at work earlier and had a go when I got home. I've had a load of fun making a nice weird evolving soundscape just by experimenting. I'm loving Massive X so far. Will post some sounds when I get the chance.

Folks, I am a bit confused by this on the NI's website article dealing with AVX/Massive:
"MASSIVE X will be blocked on non-AVX-compatible systems and will therefore not show up in Native Access."
It does show up as "Not Installed" in Native Access on my late 2012 iMac with 32gb of ram and an Intel i5, but it fails to d/l and reports a failure of the OSX.
I am using what I thought was Low Sierra, but upon double-checking the system says I am still using El Capitan ver 10.11.16.
Does anyone know if you need to upgrade? I am still using Adobe CS6 suites as in Mojave several of the modules will not work.
I do have it installed in my PC, just wondered.

Cheers

Carlos

on my late 2012 iMac with 32gb of ram

Interesting... I checked on my mid 2011 iMac with 16 GB (High Sierra), and it reported support for AVX. After purchasing Massive X, it downloaded and ran fine. I would have thought a later-model iMac would support AVX. If you run the following command in the OS X Terminal app, it will tell you if you have AVX support: "sysctl -a | grep machdep.cpu.features" (no quotes). If AVX is supported, it will be returned in the subsequent list (and the version of AVX supported). That will tell you if your CPU can handle it. Have no clue how the version of OS X relates to AVX, if at all? Perhaps the version of OS X relates to Native Access support?

Here's that patch I created just by messing around after reading the quick start. This is the type of sound I've always wanted to get out of a synth but never managed to learn enough to create. There's still lots to learn but I'm finding it quite intuitive so far.

Here's a link to the patch if you want to mess around or see what I've done. It's not amazing, but I like it :) https://www.dropbox.com/s/32c3s65gdm3ct0x/Experiment_2_Mod.nksf?dl=0

Although my current DAW CPU is not Massive X compliant, I've watched several videos and I really like its sound and possibilities. In fact, I must say that it's been a while since I've encountered a virtual synthesizer which features so many sounds suitable for ambient, cinematic and new age music which is what I'm primarily interested in. I admit that I'm more keen on tweaking the presets than programming the sounds from scratch. In the past, I've never really used Massive as most of its sounds were more inclined toward EDM and similar styles. Watching the reviews of Massive X, I've particularly liked its routing options and especially the ability to blend noise that is of organic nature, like stream, wind, bubbles etc. In any case, all this will have to wait as I'm really not in a position to build a new DAW system right now. :(

I worked with the beta version of Massive X and have spoken at length to the development team during pre-release. They do consider it an ongoing product with future updates to come. Guys, communicate with NI about what YOU want and no doubt more features will be added in future updates.

Interesting... I checked on my mid 2011 iMac with 16 GB (High Sierra), and it reported support for AVX. After purchasing Massive X, it downloaded and ran fine. I would have thought a later-model iMac would support AVX. If you run the following command in the OS X Terminal app, it will tell you if you have AVX support: "sysctl -a | grep machdep.cpu.features" (no quotes). If AVX is supported, it will be returned in the subsequent list (and the version of AVX supported). That will tell you if your CPU can handle it. Have no clue how the version of OS X relates to AVX, if at all? Perhaps the version of OS X relates to Native Access support?
Thanks for the info. I did run that in the terminal and it seems it is AVX version 1.0. I will check now for a possible software update, or, make "kontakt" with NI to ask about this.:laugh:

It's cool to generate special effects, but: the programming of the panoramic is it only global or can it be done by osc, noise?

Top Bottom