Thanks for the info. I did run that in the terminal and it seems it is AVX version 1.0. I will check now for a possible software update, or, make "kontakt" with NI to ask about this.Interesting... I checked on my mid 2011 iMac with 16 GB (High Sierra), and it reported support for AVX. After purchasing Massive X, it downloaded and ran fine. I would have thought a later-model iMac would support AVX. If you run the following command in the OS X Terminal app, it will tell you if you have AVX support: "sysctl -a | grep machdep.cpu.features" (no quotes). If AVX is supported, it will be returned in the subsequent list (and the version of AVX supported). That will tell you if your CPU can handle it. Have no clue how the version of OS X relates to AVX, if at all? Perhaps the version of OS X relates to Native Access support?
Unfortunately, I believe those results might be skewed towards teenage amateurs who are dabbling on MacBook Pros, and weighted away from professionals who've invested tons into workstation beasts. I'm just guessing, I really don't know, but it seems plausible.Also I'm quite sure NI did their market research and saw what percentage of 5,1 users make up their userbase, and made the call.
Unfortunately, I believe those results might be skewed towards teenage amateurs who are dabbling on MacBook Pros, and weighted away from professionals who've invested tons into workstation beasts. I'm just guessing, I really don't know, but it seems plausible.
Is there any way to "force" this to run on a Mac Pro 2012? My boss is one of those professionals with a lot invested into a workstation beast, and was totally blindsided by this AVX compatibility. Is there an extra bit of software we can run to trick the program into just using the computer's existing resources?
No of course not. Neither does NI, I'd believe. They did their research and made the call and prioritized certain things over certain other things, in order to release it in time after two delays. It's a business decision. That's not to say that they won't consider SSE2 version some time later, but it's obviously not a huge priority (there's bigger fish to fry at the moment).You think they are all going to get rid of their 5,1 MacPro just in order to run MassiveX? I don't think so...
Again you're making a red herring argument. Its not too soon to bring AVX builds of the product and I don't think anyone is saying so. It is too soon to leave non-AVX computers out in the cold.If 8 years is "too soon", I wonder when the right time would be. Never? Yeah, right.
That's good. If they had done that for me I would have canceled it. It was a major part of the value proposition.NI looks like they're at least aware that people were unhappy with the lack of clear signaling about the AVX requirement out of the gate, because when I upgraded to Komplete 12 yesterday, a note specifically about Massive X requiring AVX came up during the purchasing process.