What's new

Massive X is Out!

So not really addressing any big user concerns yet

Not really. Pretty much all of the bullet points there were directly user concerns that were addressed (up/down arrows, double-clicking entries in menus should close them, bypassing modules by clicking on their icons on the main page was an especially often mentioned one, etc.)

Fair point! Maybe I actually meant none of the points on the top of my list :) Visual feedback for automation and ADSR displays are my top fixes bit it's good to see an update regardless.

Has anyone else encountered this? I'm using Komplete Kontrol to load in patches from the user library. Some of the patches will load in Massive and some will load in Massive X even though all the patches here are for the original Massive.

As an example, here's a patch from Darkscore V:

1565452778517.png

I spent some time going through the patches one by one (including the new ones). I only got half way through but I'm so impressed with the capabilities of Massive X. The movement and rhythmic aspects are amazing. For cinematic use, there's a lot of deep distorted atonal-esque stuff that could go under a horror movie. Can't wait for the preset gurus to knock out some packs.

Not that I've found so far. Would be handy though as I suspect some of the new ones are some of the better ones. I'm hearing a load of complex stuff in some of the presets that I didn't hear when I first got it. Some of the rhythmic ones are approaching full songs. Check them out, they show what's possible with the performers.

From the NI Forum:

We are planning on adding further presets to the Factory Library over time and in the future we will also have separate preset expansion packs. To keep things simple we decided to include them among the current presets without any special designation.

That being said, here is a list of the new presets, which you can find by setting the preset category filter to All Types.

Massive X Factory Library version 1.0.2 new presets:

All Luck
Ancient Strings
Apocalypse Forever
Arena Hands
Artocaster
Ballers Ivory
Balloon Time
Bellody
Bohrium
Bracket
Butterherz
Calm Rocket
Cathedralium
Celestial Plum
Circuit Celesta
Club Tropics
Crayon
Cruella
Crush Star
Daft
Dark Heart
Deep Blue
Digital Ghost
Dodo Scream
Dunkle
Earthly
Electra Fizzle
Electric Flow
Epica
Extinction Now
Fallen Crush
Fancy
Fist Front
Forest Metal
Funk Glider
Future Switch
Galaxy Quest
Glitch Line
Golden Age
Goon Walk
Granny
Hang Ten
Harvest
Iron Ivory
Kingson Brown
Kong Donk
Lately
Lets Dance
Lola
Lost
Lovely Eighties
Mashed
Melancholic Rims
Melo Square
Mini Ark
Missing Beats
Modern Funk
Modern Slap
Mystery Metal
Naked Saw
Neo Soul
Noise Pulse
Paloma
Passive
Phat Phase
Pipe Man
Plastique
Plucky
Port Meadow
Puffy
Quack
Quantum Foam
Rampenschutz
Retrograde
Rising Star
Rising Sun
Robot Wars
Sagittarius X
Shifter Spaces
Sid Arp
Sky Hands
Slim Jim
Smash Piano
Spaced
Spiked
Stabbath
Steam Pan
String Bundle
Sub Pop
Subterra
Summer Metal
Sweet Heaven
Techtronic
Tuby Tuesday
Wafty
Whirly Gate
White
Wild Pitch
Wobbly Orbit
Woozle

1.1 just popped up in Native Access.

Massive X 1.1 - 2019-10-31
  • ADDED Exciter, Amp and Mod Envelope displays reflect their actual state and respond to user input
  • ADDED UI Themes (Default, Dark, Light, Flat Default, Flat Dark, Flat Light). The flat themes increase compatibility with older graphic cards
  • ADDED New factory presets now have a separate section/type in Browser
  • ADDED Rise/Fall parameter in both LFO Switcher and LFO Random Envelope displays the actual parameter state and responds to user input
  • ADDED Grid labels to the Tracker
  • ADDED Full manual available as a download
  • FIXED Preset name is now saved with host project
  • FIXED Loading Massive X on systems with Intel integrated graphics (HD 3000, and other older cards) should not crash the host anymore
  • FIXED Clicking Previous/Next Preset in Massive X UI, when there are no user presets saved, does not crash the host anymore
  • FIXED AfterTouch (AT) and PitchBend (PB) labels and 1:1 assignments are now correctly saved and recalled with preset
  • FIXED Initialising Uni/Bi in Tracker now resets both the offsets and the curve
  • FIXED Unit FX display page changing when new Insert FX page is selected
  • FIXED Basic/Custom menu state in Performer is now correctly saved and recalled with presets
  • KNOWN ISSUE FL Studio 20 VST: when loading a preset the interface will shrink. Fix: close and open interface
  • KNOWN ISSUE Cubase and Studio One: text input does not work correctly when Massive X is hosted in Komplete Kontrol or Maschine KPI view
  • KNOWN ISSUE Logic 10.4.5, Ableton Live 10: using the freeze function may result in incorrectly rendered audio - save your project before freezing the track
  • KNOWN ISSUE In some cases the INIT presets are not loading in Pro Tools. Loading the Massive X plug-in within Komplete Kontrol is a potential workaround

1.1 just popped up in Native Access.

Massive X 1.1 - 2019-10-31
  • ADDED Exciter, Amp and Mod Envelope displays reflect their actual state and respond to user input
  • ADDED UI Themes (Default, Dark, Light, Flat Default, Flat Dark, Flat Light). The flat themes increase compatibility with older graphic cards
  • ADDED New factory presets now have a separate section/type in Browser
  • ADDED Rise/Fall parameter in both LFO Switcher and LFO Random Envelope displays the actual parameter state and responds to user input
  • ADDED Grid labels to the Tracker
  • ADDED Full manual available as a download
  • FIXED Preset name is now saved with host project
  • FIXED Loading Massive X on systems with Intel integrated graphics (HD 3000, and other older cards) should not crash the host anymore
  • FIXED Clicking Previous/Next Preset in Massive X UI, when there are no user presets saved, does not crash the host anymore
  • FIXED AfterTouch (AT) and PitchBend (PB) labels and 1:1 assignments are now correctly saved and recalled with preset
  • FIXED Initialising Uni/Bi in Tracker now resets both the offsets and the curve
  • FIXED Unit FX display page changing when new Insert FX page is selected
  • FIXED Basic/Custom menu state in Performer is now correctly saved and recalled with presets
  • KNOWN ISSUE FL Studio 20 VST: when loading a preset the interface will shrink. Fix: close and open interface
  • KNOWN ISSUE Cubase and Studio One: text input does not work correctly when Massive X is hosted in Komplete Kontrol or Maschine KPI view
  • KNOWN ISSUE Logic 10.4.5, Ableton Live 10: using the freeze function may result in incorrectly rendered audio - save your project before freezing the track
  • KNOWN ISSUE In some cases the INIT presets are not loading in Pro Tools. Loading the Massive X plug-in within Komplete Kontrol is a potential workaround
The update I've been waiting for! Yay!

Yeah I had around 2 mins to check it out and it looks really useful to see the envelopes change as you tweak parameters. I've been looking forward to that for a long time now.

I tried a quick test to see if an LFO that's applied to one of the ADSR filters would animate the envelope view but it either a) wasn't set up properly by me, or b) doesn't do that. It would be awesome if it did but sounds like it could be a bit difficult to implement.

Yeah I had around 2 mins to check it out and it looks really useful to see the envelopes change as you tweak parameters. I've been looking forward to that for a long time now.

I tried a quick test to see if an LFO that's applied to one of the ADSR filters would animate the envelope view but it either a) wasn't set up properly by me, or b) doesn't do that. It would be awesome if it did but sounds like it could be a bit difficult to implement.
Yeah I think the animation is the final "should have been in v1.0" thing that is remaining for me. I did notice that the new version seemed to crash Reaper repeatedly on a project in which Massive X was already setup before the update. If I clicked on Massive X to bring up the window, the sound would quit completely. Then reloading the plugin would cause it to crash. HOWEVER, if I loaded the project and replaced the Massive X plugin with Massive X again, everything seemed to work out just fine. Maybe it was just a one off quirk. Seems to be working fine now though.

Patch browser improvements and tagging them is another v1.0 thing that's still not there. Maybe also MPE. And personally, I really miss constant rate glide mode (currently glide only works in constant time mode).
Very true. Those should be on my list as well. I guess the lack of visual feedback was the most jarring to me. Glad to see the improvements coming along though! It feels like a new instrument with this last update.

Top Bottom