What's new

Massive vs. Massive X

He didn't elaborate much and I didn't ask, but for me what I did is this. You know when a legend like that is kind enough to answer my questions many times I'm like, I have no idea what he's talking about but rather than bother him with 1000 stupid questions, Imma gonna just try and figure it out.

So.......
I found it's best to do side by side. For me I had the demo of Zebra at the time and Retrologue and Thor.

I would do things like set the resonance to max, and do top to bottom filter sweeps with no envelope and just listen. Then make a mental note to myself of which one I thought sounded more "musical" to me. Retrologue was harsh and Zebra sounded good. It was that subjective. Not very "scientific".

Then, I'd set the envelopes to percussive and find out which one sounded better. Zebra was more musical to me. Thor fairly clinical like and Retrologue again sounded pretty nasty, harsh, ect... Also, Thor was unstable in some weird way it would drift out of time.

Set lfo's to audio rate and modulate anything you can find and find which one sounded cooler. ect...

Set envelopes to super long and hear if they descr and cres well. They all did well with this.

Super short and Thor was inconsistent. Retrologue was good and Zebra was good.

Super quiet, as loud as it will go, ect, ect. Whatever parameter you can tweek, then just set it to max and see what happens.

The bass also, Set it super low and see which one will go lower. You'll be surprised by this one. Many soft synths can barely make it lower than 60 hz before then lose the center of the tone and all you hear is buzzing.

Then super high on the scale and a lot of soft synths even with oversampling will alias.

It's not really exact and I'm not sure that' what Howard Scar meant, but that's what I did and it was informative.

Not to disparage any synth really. Soft synths are modern day wonders. I scored whole movies with Thor as my only synth back then. It did fine. Zebra would have done finer though.

In the end, it wasn't anything but just my own personal judgement.

That's what I imagined but I wanted to make sure it's what you meant.

Thanks for sharing!

Top Bottom