Mark Northam: 20 Reasons Composers Fail

Discussion in 'Working in the Industry' started by TigerTheFrog, Apr 28, 2019.

1. Tim_Wells

Tim_Wells Tim Wells

Oct 22, 2018
    Thanks for clarifying!

2. VinRice

VinRice ... i am a robot ...

May 20, 2017
    The UK of Englandshire
    Ensure that your skills, knowledge and equipment are at a level above your present situation.

ka00 likes this.
  3. Desire Inspires

Desire Inspires To the stars through desire....

Jul 30, 2016
    Miami Beach
    Excellent. Let me collaborate with you to get myself up to par.

4. Jimmy Hellfire

Jimmy Hellfire Senior Member

Jun 28, 2015
    Austria
    Composers love to talk about failure, self-doubt and rejection.

Will Blackburn and Henu like this.
  5. josejherring

josejherring Senior Member

Thanks for allowing me to fill in the blanks. It's always disheartening to see one of my fellow brother composer who hit town around the same time I did fall away. But, it looks like he landed in a good place. I wish him his continued success.

6. GtrString

GtrString Active Member

Dec 10, 2016
    Denmark
    I can think of a number of rich world famous acts who excel in several of those failures..

7. dgburns

dgburns splunge

Nov 4, 2012
    No I think he means to visualize your success, and also prepare emotionally for it as well.

Just like lottery winners often blow their money and find themselves back to where they were before, it's important to adapt to the good things that come your way and not let it destroy you or those around you. Harder said than done. We seem to take rejection and failure more easily in stride than success.

It's hard emotionally to deal with success. It's like a high that always comes with a very nasty hangover if you don't handle it right.

Tim_Wells likes this.
  8. Tim_Wells

Tim_Wells Tim Wells

Oct 22, 2018
  9. VinRice

VinRice ... i am a robot ...

May 20, 2017
    The UK of Englandshire
    I wasn't being snide. I genuinely mean it. I've been able to take chance opportunities in lots of different areas because I was prepared for it - purely on faith and often at great expense. I've failed badly in lots when I wasn't.

10. ka00

ka00 Senior Member

Oct 23, 2017
    Toronto, Canada
    Yeah, I took this to mean if you start booking projects, make sure in advance that you are equipped (skills/equipment/efficiency) to do them properly and with competitions deadlines etc. Doesn’t sound snide to me.

11. Henu

Henu Senior Member

Nov 17, 2017
    Finland
    I started reading it yesterday, and I have to admit that despite of my very sceptic first impressions, this hammer actually hits the nail more than once- the guy does have a point on many things.

12. Desire Inspires

Desire Inspires To the stars through desire....

Jul 30, 2016
    Miami Beach