Mapping Tonal Harmony - anyone used this?

Discussion in 'Composition, Orchestration & Technique' started by Garry, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Garry

Garry Senior Member

Dec 28, 2017
    Switzerland
    I've recently been using Scaler, which was recommended by a number of forum members when I initially came across Unison chord matrix for learning new chord progressions, and quickly embedding them in the DAW. The recommendations for Scaler were exactly right, and I'm really enjoying using it. My playing has never improved as quickly before, because I load up a chord progression (that I wouldn't have come up with myself) play it into the DAW, and then learn it myself by playing over the top. Very quickly, I'm playing things which are much more advanced and colorful than I have before, and it sounds great.

But back to that 'I wouldn't have come up with myself'... well, I'm definitely enjoying this new journey enough to want to learn more, and then I came across Mapping Tonal Harmony. This goes far beyond Scaler in terms of teaching you to really understand the theory behind these progressions. There's a helpful 21 part YouTube series here that I'm currently working my way through, which uses reharmonization of 'Danny Boy' as an example of what the software can do. So, as I work my way through it, I just wondered if there are any other VI-C members who might have used it, or can recommend similar/better software?

Thanks.

Kevin Fortin likes this.
  2. douggibson

douggibson Active Member

Jan 9, 2016
    I have it, and like it......but I don't use it much.

That's not a knock on it, just it's not apart of my composing or piano playing process.

When I am returning to the same old thing, and just a kick-start "Try this" it's great.

It's cheap man.....just get it. Think of it as an investment in yourself and your musical growth.

3. Will Blackburn

Will Blackburn Active Member

Oct 28, 2012
    London
    Scaler is great. Can't believe there's no Windows version of MTH :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

4. lsabina

lsabina New Member

Nov 17, 2017
    WNY
    I use it sometimes in my theory class to show that whatever is done, traditional music eventually breaks down to dominant prep/dominant/tonic.